Lt. Commander
It was recently announced that Champs is abandoning their crafting system in favor of a modification system:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595693

Will STO do something like this as well?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I think we will. Al Rivera (Captain Geko) has mentioned how he would like kits to be more user defined by allowing us to choose various abilities and make our own custom kit as it were. This would be a good gateway into that.

I just hope it has the same flexibility that SWTOR's system does since it's very similar to it. In SWTOR, you can customize a piece of gear with modifications and use it all the way through your character's career. Course SWTOR's mod system just affects stats.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't break my heart if STO crafting was 86'd. A system where we can modify existing gear for space and ground would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, if it costs dilithium, I think it should do something the dilithium store doesn't do aside from provide a discount or offer SLIGHTLY different gear.

IMHO, power consoles make sense but, really, crafted items should do something OTHER than serve as standard gear.

I mean, maybe have exotic modifiers on some crafted items, like a power drain themed set of gear... But, in general, I prefer for most crafted items to be more distinct from store gear, given the added effort.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I saw this on champs earlier today and really want it to come to STO

I hope they add something of the such to our system because yeah... that would be sweet!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2012, 09:06 PM
and it'll cost item#1 + item#2 with a chance to fail which can be mitigated with cash shop item#1,2,3,or #4 because if you dont use the cash shop item you risk losing everything involved PLUS the cost. which in our case is DILITHIUM. soo i'll PASS and keep what we got and just improve it
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah I think there is a fine line between a company such as Cryptic selling quality services versus the crap I've seen so far. Just makes me sad to think this is what STO is going to become a nickeling and diming service.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdraftbrn View Post
and it'll cost item#1 + item#2 with a chance to fail which can be mitigated with cash shop item#1,2,3,or #4 because if you dont use the cash shop item you risk losing everything involved PLUS the cost. which in our case is DILITHIUM. soo i'll PASS and keep what we got and just improve it
Actually it's five items with a chance to fail (which appears to lose you one if it tanks). You need five identical mods to generate a mod of the next level with failure chances increasing as item ranks increase (drops stop at 4, and items apparently go to 9).

So... 5 rank 4s to make a rank 6.
5 rank sixes to make a rank 7.
5 rank sevens to make a rank 8.
5 rank eights to make a rank 9.

Or in other words... 30 rank 4s to make a rank 6.
150 rank 4s to make a rank 7.
750 rank 4s to make a rank 8.
3750 tank 4s to make a rank 9.

That's assuming you can find 3750 identical rank 4s to combine. It's also assuming NO failures (the failure rate at r9, when fully skilled for the task, is apparently about 55%).

Of course there's catalysts that will let you "...rank up your MOD with only one instead of the required five MODS..." or "...rank all the way to max rank, skipping the intermediate steps..." and you really have to wonder how much those are going to cost.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post

Of course there's catalysts that will let you "...rank up your MOD with only one instead of the required five MODS..." or "...rank all the way to max rank, skipping the intermediate steps..." and you really have to wonder how much those are going to cost.
My bet, 2000 C points per mod.
I do not want this crafting system its even worse than ours, its such a blatant money grab its just ridiculous, they can keep it, thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It was recently announced that Champs is abandoning their crafting system in favor of a modification system:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595693

Will STO do something like this as well?
I was hoping for a crafting change at some point, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
My bet, 2000 C points per mod.
I do not want this crafting system its even worse than ours, its such a blatant money grab its just ridiculous, they can keep it, thanks.
...if it someting like this, i dont want it either, but i think a trick is being missed here by cryptic.

an idea for gold/lts members; this would be perfect for a free universal officer, in much the same way champs has free archetypes (this means releasing faction specific races for FED's and KDF only), if this kit thing is coming to STO then it would mean that if some chose to use healing and shield regens for their kit, they would need the relevant skill set. so it would also be a perfect opprtunity to sort out the skill tree. naturally it cant be used outside of gold status and it would give a much needed incentive to gold members.