Lt. Commander
# 21
03-31-2012, 07:33 AM
The thing that sets "Crafting" apart from "Buying" is risk, chance and experimentation. Risk of failure, losing materials, or creating a inferior item; chance of critical success.

Experimentation is harder to do I guess, but ideally there should be reason enough for people to want to invest time and effort into trying new component combinations.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
The Champions modification system outlined in the link seems to me to be very appropriate for that IP. Catalysts might end up being Champs' version of Dilithium, but that is not clear in what I read from the link.
Questionite is apparently going to be Champions Dilithium. Catalysts are in addition.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Would like a crafting system where we can make objects from scratch like make random stuff and give it stats and give it a name. Unique things and maybe make stuff for the interiors so its my ship not a generic ship. Clothing crafting would be cool too with stats i choose and costume pieces and colors so it suits me not what the game things i should look like.

Also i dont want any crafting where the items can be bought cheaply on the exchange as it negates crafting. If you put the effort in it shouldnt be cheap heck if i had my way crafted items would be bind on pickup so they cant be sold so it would encourage ppl to craft and not just buy there stuff.

If dilithium is to be made in crafting use it JUST for ship parts/engines or somit which is what its just used for. Dont have it be needed for clothes, weapons, shields etc.

Please do not copy other crafting systems, make a proper trek only crafting system that isnt in any other game.

Also do not use anomalys as i mean come on lets use proper crafting stuff like metal, ore, crystals, fabric, for stuff that u craft that its actually made of for a gun u need a crystal for the focus, some metal for the casing for example.

Use anomalys for something like research not crafting if it "must" be kept even tho i really wish it would go away.

Ship crafting should be included in the crafting revamp as you might as well get it all done at once instead of doing it half arsed i.e bit now bit later. Also i hope cryptic talks to the public about the crafting plans and gets our input so we can either say yeah that sounds good for a trek crafting system or no sorry thats not trek at all and need a rethink. Problem with cryptic is they dont ask us how things should work they should work with us to make systems function as how we the players would like within gameplay and budget reasons i guess but im sure we could work together to create a in-budget crafting system we both like, cryptic and the players would actually be using it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Wow...that blows. Yeah, STO's crafting is low-grade...but it's still crafting..hell I remember when I used to craft here all the time...but as some has mentioned about TOR's crafting - I hate it. But at least there it has more purpose; as in it lets one use a specific armor set, while STO just has generic armor.

This will be unfortunate though if the only crafting we have in STO turns into something that'll most like turn into a nickle & dime scam.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I truly hope it doesn't become a dilithium sink. As little as I get to play I don't have time to waste to go grind out dilithium so it means I have to spend cash and I do not like that. I just went to go buy a ship I had been saving up ec for since like October and now I can't buy it. Why cause it requires dilithium. All my old marks only got me like 100k dilithium so now if I want it I have to either use my limited game time to grind that stuff or spend cash to get it.

Don't like it a bit. As much as I hate star wars if this happens I might be moving.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Wow...that blows. Yeah, STO's crafting is low-grade...but it's still crafting..hell I remember when I used to craft here all the time...but as some has mentioned about TOR's crafting - I hate it. But at least there it has more purpose; as in it lets one use a specific armor set, while STO just has generic armor.

This will be unfortunate though if the only crafting we have in STO turns into something that'll most like turn into a nickle & dime scam.
Especially one where, even at max crafting skill, you STILL have a 55% chance of critical failure unless you buy some overpriced one-shot C-Store trinket? No thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I mean, maybe have exotic modifiers on some crafted items, like a power drain themed set of gear... But, in general, I prefer for most crafted items to be more distinct from store gear, given the added effort.
That'd be a waste of Dilithium, considering how well current power drains outside of Aceton Assimilators work.

But yes, any new crafting system, or in this case, modification system, is welcome by me.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
So... first they got rid of all the "currencies" to streamline them into Dilithium...
then came along EDCs and other Borg Parts...

Now maybe later, maybe not, some form of C-Store Only Catalysts (and it IS a currency with 55% being rate of failure for top Items)... Am I the only seeing a Mistake there?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelorKiith View Post
So... first they got rid of all the "currencies" to streamline them into Dilithium...
then came along EDCs and other Borg Parts...

Now maybe later, maybe not, some form of C-Store Only Catalysts (and it IS a currency with 55% being rate of failure for top Items)... Am I the only seeing a Mistake there?

Wrong word. The word is greed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I just realized...if STO is scrapping crafting as well...what will we do with all the amples and traces we have?