Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdrianDareau
It's been "proven" in other MMOs that "completionists" will return to grind through everything in order to have it all. Therefore, upping the level cap will draw all these "completionists" back into the fold until they get to the new level. Meanwhile, PWE smiles all the way to the bank if even 10% of these people start investing in C-points...
But they don't need to raise the level cap to add new content. They just need new content. Heck Tier 6 ships could easily be realized just by converting a Lt to a Lt.Com and the Ensign to a Lt on existing Tier 5 ships. But that doesn't mean a new wave of Tier 6 ships couldn't be released.

To Paraphrase Roach
PWE want top quality milk from a cash cow they don't want to feed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
But they don't need to raise the level cap to add new content. They just need new content. Heck Tier 6 ships could easily be realized just by converting a Lt to a Lt.Com and the Ensign to a Lt on existing Tier 5 ships. But that doesn't mean a new wave of Tier 6 ships couldn't be released.
From the publisher's standpoint, the best situation is to do both.
  1. Raise the level cap, wait 2-3 months for the completionists to grind their characters to the new cap, possibly paying into the C-store for XP boosts and other stuff.
  2. Profit.
  3. Release Tier 6 ships, wait 1-2 months for the completionists to grind the dilithium or pay into the C-store to buy the new ships.
  4. Profit.
  5. Possible release some actual new content with associated C-store items, wait 2-3 months for completionists to grind through it and pay into the C-store again.
  6. Profit.
  7. Rinse.
  8. Repeat.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Why do they need to raise the level cap? This is a Free to play game they aren't going to try and sell us an expansion.
Agreed,

If you raise the cap or have the cap stay at 50 but scale gear and new STF mob difficulty upwards by a lot, then you make all the current STF's obselete. On top of that, raising the cap means new content will take longer to develop. They will have to make sure that at the new level of 55 or 60, that PVP is still balanced. They will need to give people a way to level to the new cap, so now they have to make something for that. Then they have to make all new STF's which also will need to be balanced, and have new/different mechanics as the current STF's. And of course with all those new things there will come bugs, nerfing if a class becomes too OP, or buffing if a class isnt up to par with everyone else.

If they introduce new STF's, but keep the same level cap and just give us new mechanics to deal with then at least you dont make cure, infected and khitomer obselete, you can still play them if you want. It's just now you have a bigger selection of STF's to choose from. IMO if the game engine can handle it, then they should make the new STF's 10 mans (or at least make one of them a 10 man).

About the only problem i see with the above is by wanting to keep current STF's playable while introducing new ones, is that eventually your gear will need to have a cap. Either that or have gear keep scaling upwards, but the devs would have to fine tune all the level 50 content so that it doesnt become too easy.
Ensign
# 14
07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I miss the LT JR Grade amoung my bridge officers. I agree that admirals command fleets and not a single ship. Militarily speaking the ST always had a little problem with "real military protocols" I was a naval alisted in a real navy and I think ST is like a "real" navy too. But this does not make this game less perfect. I am already adctived to it!
Republic Veteran
# 15
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Like its already been said, why go through and change the game because a few people want captain to be the max rank?

There are ways around it, those ways have been given. You don't have to wear the admirals uniforms, rank insignia, or title.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Seriously, what does it matter anyway? You are flying your ship blowing things up left-right-and-centre. You can change your title to Captain if you like. There are bigger things to worry about.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Ensign
# 17
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree, I would rather be a Captain than the bloody Admiral. I mean, did they ever watch the shows? *Power to starbase Captain* etc it was not, *Power to starbase Admiral.*
or power to what ever. when I got to lvl 30 er rank wich ever you call it, and it said captain,
I thought, *oh it must stay that way* nope. welcome to rank Admiral.
Don't gorn with me.
( you will understand it if you are on ESD or DS9 a lot, =P )
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
07-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Wear Captain pips, change your title to captain.

Enjoy being a Captain.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
07-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Personally, I wish they'd rip ranks out of the leveling system altogether and leave ranks/pips as unlocks at different milestones. We've been asking for this for years now, so I don't expect anything to change. Ever.
Captain
# 20
07-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
Personally, I wish they'd rip ranks out of the leveling system altogether and leave ranks/pips as unlocks at different milestones. We've been asking for this for years now, so I don't expect anything to change. Ever.
THIS. I like very much.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots