Lt. Commander
There was a fair amount of conversation in game earlier today claiming devs announced they are nerfing the Theta Radiation Vent. I'm trying to find yes/no confirmation about this. Normally I don't complain, sure STO has some bugs but it's a great game and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here since beta. I also enjoy the ships, bridges, and outfits I've purchased from the C store.

The idea that a C-store bonus item which was bought with real-world currency might be getting nerfed is something I find very disconcerting. I realize it's more complex than if I bought a dozen eggs from the market, then after getting them home the store manager comes into my house and takes 2 of them back without compensation, but the concept is the same.

This leads me to ask the ethical question: If C-store items are getting "Nerfed" after months in-game are the original purchases being grandfathered, or are we being forced to surrender what we the consumers originally purchased? Hopefully is it just a wicked rumor that the STO development team is actually considering retroactively downgrading some of our C-store purchases.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Skrim72
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2012, 01:20 PM
From my understanding, the main change was just eliminating unintentional stacking of the effects. So the main effect should remain the same, you just won't get screwed by multiple enemies using the same power.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
From my understanding, the main change was just eliminating unintentional stacking of the effects. So the main effect should remain the same, you just won't get screwed by multiple enemies using the same power.
I recall the same, the stacking became fairly OP as it was told so it appears to be more of a balance move than a nerf.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks gang, I agree stacking is OP, and didnt even realize it did that. I'm sure that was not intended. Thanks again for the confirmation.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Also Remember...

We're essentially just Renting all this stuff...

If the game goes belly-up tomorrow and the servers shut down..., we don't get to play with it anymore.

It's better to be aware of this tiny little fact ahead of time and not get too defensive, about any changes They decide to make.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrim72 View Post
There was a fair amount of conversation in game earlier today claiming devs announced they are nerfing the Theta Radiation Vent. I'm trying to find yes/no confirmation about this. Normally I don't complain, sure STO has some bugs but it's a great game and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here since beta. I also enjoy the ships, bridges, and outfits I've purchased from the C store.

The idea that a C-store bonus item which was bought with real-world currency might be getting nerfed is something I find very disconcerting. I realize it's more complex than if I bought a dozen eggs from the market, then after getting them home the store manager comes into my house and takes 2 of them back without compensation, but the concept is the same.

This leads me to ask the ethical question: If C-store items are getting "Nerfed" after months in-game are the original purchases being grandfathered, or are we being forced to surrender what we the consumers originally purchased? Hopefully is it just a wicked rumor that the STO development team is actually considering retroactively downgrading some of our C-store purchases.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Skrim72
Let's not forget that most of the other KDF consoles have been hit with changes already, Isometric Charge and Plasma leach come to mind.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Why waste any of your cash, cpoints or dilithium on junk they're just going to nerf?

Seems like you're all paying a steep price for bad development.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrim72 View Post
T I realize it's more complex than if I bought a dozen eggs from the market, then after getting them home the store manager comes into my house and takes 2 of them back without compensation, but the concept is the same.
It's really only the same concept if you have to agree to a TOS whenever you purchase something from your grocery store that allows them to do that.

People have a flawed understanding of their rights when it comes to digital purchases. You aren't actually buying anything, but rather licensing the use of something from a seller. They leave themselves a lot of breathing room in the TOS that allows them to pretty much do whatever they want, so even after you've purchased something, it's never yours.

If they exercised this licensing to a ridiculous degree, though, they would lose the trust of their consumers and nobody would buy anything else. That desire to preserve trust so people keep spending money is the only protection your purchases have.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Also Remember...

We're essentially just Renting all this stuff...

If the game goes belly-up tomorrow and the servers shut down..., we don't get to play with it anymore.

It's better to be aware of this tiny little fact ahead of time and not get too defensive, about any changes They decide to make.
Very much this, you don't "own" anything in the game. Its pretty much like a gym membership, you unlock towel service, or unlock a personal trainer.

If the gym changes something you're paying for, sure you can be mad about it but there isn't really anything you can do but quit the gym and go some place else.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Your egg analogy doesn't hold up. Instead, imagine you could buy the eggs but the manager sold them to you under the condition that you could not bring them outside the shop.

When the shop closes at night, you have to wait outside while the eggs you paid money for remain inside. While in the shop you can only do specific things with the eggs. Such as making a 4 egg omelet (the only way an omelet can be made while inside the shop).

One day your happily making your omelet with 4 eggs. The next day you can only use 2 eggs because the manager changed the recipe and how many eggs its possible to use with it. Its now not possible to use 4 eggs if you want to make an omelet (according to the store's updated rules on making omelets)!

That is more how digital purchases work within ingame stores. Cryptic, like every online games company by the way, reserve the right to change things in their own game as and when they see fit in accordance with evolving policies... including extra things people pay to 'use'.

With that in mind, be mindful of what you pay actual cash to 'access' where other options exist.

mmm... omelets...

I have no info on the actual topic. =P