Lt. Commander
# 1 Kits and Player Powers
03-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere. I apologize if it has. But...

Why is it the best way to play the game that we have to equip kits to have skills? Each of our BOFFs have specific abilities that we can choose and upgrade with points. I feel like we should create our characters the same way and then use the kits to augment different powers.

My pitch is that we get to have a set number of ground skills. Say for the sake of argument that it's six. We would then have more than our BOFFs do, giving us some perk to being a human. And we'd be able to choose things based on how we play the game, rather than on what we like the best from the kit selections available. We all know that there are kits we choose because we like one or two of the skills it provides but we don't necessarily ever use the other ones in the kit. Plus it seems a little silly that we have to equip the kit to use the skills but the BOFFs just know how to do them. We'd be able to apply our skill points to increase the power of each of our abilities and pay for a respec if we're looking for a change or unhappy with the way that something's working.

Then, we'd be able to equip kits with a single ability FROM A DIFFERENT CLASS. For instance, have a tactical main and constantly find your medic getting incapacitated? Equip a medical tricorder kit. These kits would not be level with the skill of an actual player or BOFF from that class. They'd probably have to function at half power and take at least twice as long to recover for the sake of balance. Also in an effort to preserve the balance, all of the kits could be completely defensive in nature. And the options could be few.

I know that there's an update coming to the way kits work. I read something about being able to operate multiple kits at the same time. And I think that at least is more interesting than always having to choose from a set of preexisting kits. But it still feels strange that we have to use them and our BOFFs don't.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Boffs get 4 powers and use no kit each class has some Powers that don't use a kit. So by using the kit your get more interchangeable powers unlike your boffs that are stuck with only 4 unless u go and change them.
Kits allow u to change what powers u want to suit the situation at hand.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix156 View Post
Boffs get 4 powers and use no kit each class has some Powers that don't use a kit. So by using the kit your get more interchangeable powers unlike your boffs that are stuck with only 4 unless u go and change them.
Kits allow u to change what powers u want to suit the situation at hand.
yep. if i'm on eleite I will sometimes use my offense hit with the thermal vent and root, or i might hang back, let the boffs do the grunt work and use the heals in a medical kit. the theory should work in STFs once i start those