Lt. Commander
# 11
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Well tried it, was a bit weird to see just after the battle when ordered to go to the planet to have mentioned U.S.S. so might be better to use the ship name function instead of full ship name and put I.S.S. in front of it Loved the ending though!.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
OHHH I'm glad you caught that! I'll edit it now. Thank you!

Yeah ty I have received good feedback in person mails about the ending, I'm doing the entire original 3 part arc as mirror uni.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Grrr, I was planning to do something very similar.
I can totally relate. I have a plot device (pun intended) which I planned to utilize in the third story of my "Camelot" series. Now I'm thinking, "Do I go there? It was a HUGE part of the next mission. And this author used it as a HUGE part of his mission design, too."

In my first mission, "Camelot Under Siege", I used a Federation space museum (Camelot Station). After publishing, I came across "Alexandria Incident" by Gingie. I thought, "Damn and double damn! I did NOT borrow from his idea!!" But there was a museum station mission with museum Federation ships docked.

Ugh.

In another instance, I rushed a Foundry mission for "Klingon Awareness Week #2" -- paying homage to STO player Havraha's Helna character. (Hey, the specs are posted to StarbaseUGC!) But I had NO clue he was ALSO publishing a Helna mission. And like me, he used a Mirror Universe Helna, too!

(Havraha's Helna/Mirror Helna will ALWAYS be the original Helna/Mirror Helna. 'Nuff said.)

It's not like you're recreating your own version of the City of the Polmar Ree.

To ThePsychoticVulcan: I say, "Go for it." Tell the story YOU want to tell with that plot device, twist, Foundry asset, map, objects, etc. Tell it YOUR way.

Which makes me think there's another feature article prospect for StarbaseUGC.com about authors with unintentionally similar ideas. Unless you're brazenly, unapologetically, unabashedly stealing the entire concept behind someone else's mission, I know I don't see a problem with crafting your story with that plot element you intended to use.

If anything, post a Foundry Portal mission page on STOwiki.org to document your thought process.

I'd like to think we Foundry authors are fair-minded, mature people. Time will tell.

Tucana
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Tucana, I will check out the Camelot series. It is a good subject to address.

The concept of having the "players" be the mirror counterparts came to me after re watching "In a Mirror Darkly"; I realized every mirror STO plot involved "crossing over" but not "assuming the role" of the counterparts themselves.

I go into some dark choices inspired by playing TOR (I have another concept in testing on next mission, involving player Boff's romance options with an Npc, with very detailed branching choices to guide a potential love interest sub plot for the tac boff of a player.)
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Just to share some of my thoughts:

When The War Began
was my first "holo" published mission, it had been successful on tribble before that (It's on Grand Nagus's top Foundry missions )

I based the mission loosely off James Marsden's "Tomorrow" series of books (Tomorrow, When The War Began, book 1).

As my "first" I had a special soft spot for the setting, story and characters. I kept asking myself "what would I change or add for detail if I ever did a re mastered version?"

Then It occurred to me while watching "Mirror darkly" again, that there was a golden opportunity to "re master" without really changing anything--by doing a mirror universe variant to the story.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
Tucana, I will check out the Camelot series. It is a good subject to address.

The concept of having the "players" be the mirror counterparts came to me after re watching "In a Mirror Darkly"; I realized every mirror STO plot involved "crossing over" but not "assuming the role" of the counterparts themselves.

I go into some dark choices inspired by playing TOR (I have another concept in testing on next mission, involving player Boff's romance options with an Npc, with very detailed branching choices to guide a potential love interest sub plot for the tac boff of a player.)
"The Crossing" series (like 9 parts of it!) has you playing your counterpart from the Mirror Universe. Yeah I'll admit a lot of Mirror Universe stories does include their counterparts crossing over,my own included.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
"The Crossing" series (like 9 parts of it!) has you playing your counterpart from the Mirror Universe
Oh really? Nice. I'll have to check that, and yours out.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I do have one question though,why did you decide to have a few fair admirals in your fleet if you don't mind me asking (aren't there like 4 admirals or something?)
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Almost every npc is a player character friend of mine that's why

"Almost".

Admiral Kane is my main, Admirals Jahner, Ace, Paul Askray, Admiral Forte, all friends who are DJ's at Subspace-radio.net.

The Fleet players fly with, every ship is a player ship in STO.

The U.S.S./I.S.S. Pandora crew w Captain Seleya, is an original Npc crew i've had in Foundry since the tribble test days.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
ah got ya,fair enough then!