Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
the klingon cruisers can easily get to 125 weapons energy without EPtW, but having 4 of those skills is always good, it fattens your total energy pool greatly. spec into potential and weapons performance to about 6 and the borg console and you should be at 125 easy. then run EPtA instead, and with 1 preset change you can go from running 125 weapons to 125 aux, something a fed cruiser could only dream of doing. klingon cruisers really are great
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
BTW, If your going to drop your tac team, which isn't a bad idea if your rockin ET every 15 secs with the Maint. Eng. Rare Doff, I would recomend binding "distribute shields" to your spacebar, so that while your firing, your constantly redistributing your shields to all facings. ,maximizing your regen and keeping your shields up on each side under fire.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retsum
After playing on my Tac and not recieving any heals in pug pvp, I have decided to try and fill a cavity and build a support cruiser which can heal and dps a little.

New(ish) to game - so any criticism and advice would be welcome.

Ship - Vor'cha Retrofit. Decided the extra manuverability would help keep me in place to heal where required, and to help keep a full shield between me and any incoming damage.

Captain - Engineer.

Tactical Lt..............TT1, BFAW2
Tactical Ensign......BFAW1
Eng Commander....EPTW1, ET2, EPTS3, ES3
Eng Lt Com............EPTW1, RSP1, EPTS3
Sci Lt......................HE1, TSS2

I have left the EPTS at 3 (and 2 copies) because as soon as I throw extend on a teammate, I tend to get focussed - this lets me soak up the damage till they give up or swap targets.

Fore - 4 beam array (was thinking of 3 and torp/dual)
Deflector - Borg
Engine - Borg
Shield - Honor Guard (when it drops Paratrinic for now)
Aft - 4 beam array (poss slowing mines/torp)
Devices - Batteries / Subspace Field Modulator.
E. Consoles - RCS accelerator / Neutronium Alloy / Flow Capacitor / (2nd Neut or 2nd Flow Cap)
S. Consoles - Borg / Field Generator
T. Consoles - 3 x Energy type (not sure which is best - any ideas?)

Running with all beams so they are more 'fire and forget' with their forgiving arcs i can follow heal target when needed.

I run with 2 power settings - 100/50/25/25 for dps, and 25/50/25/100 for healing.

Please feel free to suggest improvments, whilst doing so - does antone have a preference as to energy type for pvp, was thinking of Polaron or Tetryon for procs.

Thanks again for any replies.
First welcome to the pvp side of life. Second don't hesitate to ask questions ever Though you might wanna step by here http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=229 This is a link to the rest of the builds etc in the thread. The original post has some basic tips for survival and what not.

Vorchas really don't even need EPTW especially with Engineer captains. They have a very strong native power bonus to weapons. I'd move one of your EPTS3s down to being an EPTS1. Change your other EPTW1 for an EPTA1. Put an Eng Team 3 in place of your second EPTS3. Make sure you get a couple of good maintaince engineer doffs.
Ditch ET2, for ASIF1 or Aux to dampeners. The former gives you yet another heal, and a hull resist, and the latter will make you immune to stuns (which can remove your extend shields)

Weapons look good. 8 beams is pretty much the defacto for engineers (I roll 7 on mine but only because I like dumping chrono mines out back)

Consoles. RCS great on a Vorcha. Keep this. Neutronium, good. Flow Capacitor.. I would ditch this in favor of an SIF Generator. As far as I can tell Flow capacity consoles only effect when you are switching power presets (which you really don't need to do as an engineer in the first place imo) The SIF Generator will give you a pretty nice boost to your new and improved Eng Teams. Last console, I'd fill it out with a second SIF Generator.

Energy type, anything but Plasma and Antiproton. Both of which right now are laughably weak, for two very different reasons. Antiproton, because there are no double Acc APs in the game which -greatly- diminishes their effectiveness with the revised accuracy vs defense, and revised miss based on range to target mechanics. Yes their damage is amazing when they hit.. but that's the problem they hit that infrequently.. They are actually right on par with Plasma in output.. which brings me to Plasma. Avoid Plasma, because everyone has a base line 20 percent resistance to it by default. True it's insanely cheap to kit out a ship in plasma.. but that's exactly why it is.
If you are looking to save yourself some EC, Polaron isn't a bad choice at all. True it's techinically the third worst energy in the game, but you can save quite a few million EC fitting out your ship. And it has access to the Good weapon properties (like AccX3, or AccX2 CrtH).

If you want Sexy, Tetryon's your best bet. Those blue white beams are just awesome looking.
If you want the second best weapon (and it's vastly cheaper to buy on the exchange) Disruptors are your best bet.

If you want the Absolute Best though... you can't argue with Phasers. Their proc is ridiculously overpowered, however to get good phasers, you best be prepared to shell out $... A retardedly obscene amount of $.

As an engi captain, I've found I can run 100 weapon, 50 shields, 25 25 and with the warp core engineer, an EPTS, EPTA1, and EPS power transfer that my lowest power setting (engines) sits at 107. Like I said when you do it right, as an engineer especially in a cruiser, you don't need to worry about presets, almost never.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
If you want Sexy, Tetryon's your best bet. Those blue white beams are just awesome looking.
If you want the second best weapon (and it's vastly cheaper to buy on the exchange) Disruptors are your best bet.
you really cant beat tetryon right now on a cruiser, the dilitium store sells [acc]2 tetryon beam arrays, so very good weapons right there. i couldn't help but notice how many relatively cheap mkX and mkXI [acc]3 tetryon single cannons there are on the exchange right now, so cheap in fact i couldn't not give a cannon excelsior another try. i just loaded up on 4 of them and 4 at least [acc]2 turrets and they are the best thing that has happened to my tactical excelsior, so much fun. god i wish i had a galor for this though.

you might want to try single cannons and turrets with that turn rate, beam arrays are the most expensive weapon on the exchange. if you do that you wouldn't have much use for a second ensign tactical, so again look back into the negvar. its got such crazy inertia problems it back end seems to powerslide ahead of the front end, actually helping a bit with more narrow arc weapons, at least i think. but if you want to stick with the vorcha, you might want to equip 1 duel beam bank with the cannons up front for beam overload. i wouldn't really recommend torpedoes, to make them effective you would have to spend a bunch of skill point in projectile buffing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-03-2012, 02:43 AM
While people are putting suggestions out there, might I also suggest the Marauder? If cloak isn't as important to you, it's basically the Star Cruiser from the Fed side, but with an Added Carrier Pet slot that you can use for things like Kar'fi Skul Fighters, Shield Drones (EXTREMELY HANDY HEAL PET! Can be applied to a target to give them shield healing, saving your own), the marauding force pets, To'duj Fighters, Siphon Drones, Maybe even Tachyon Drones (Can't say I checked on that one my self) And it really doesn't lose anything for that benifit.

You could even use (Using Hammel's suggested build as a quote here modified for the Marauder)
Quote:
Tac Lt. FAW1, APB1
Eng Commander EPtW1, EPtS2, Aux2sif2, ES3
Eng Lt. Commander EPtS1, RSP1, ET3
Sci Ensign HE1, TSS2
Sci Ensign PH 1 or HE 1 or TSS 1 or TB 1 or Jam 1

8 Beam arrays of your choice, disruptor and phaser are common choices.
Hanger: Pets of your choice allowed to be used. (Shield Drones Recommended)
Borg Deflector.
Borg Engines.
KHG shield.

Eng Consoles: 3x EPS or 3x Sif, 1x Neutronium Alloy.
Sci Consoles: Borg, Field Generator 1x Shield Emitter.
Tac Consoels: 2x Energy type console.

Power levels:
100/25/25/50 for DPS.
25/50/25/100 for Healing.

Doffs:
3x BFI, 2x Engy Team CD.
Just my thoughts on an alternate ship possibility.. :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - have taken it on board, and playing the following setup for now:-

Neghvar. Not quite the turnrate of the Vor'cha - but stil beats other cruisers, and if the bops and raptors insist on going out of range of my heals I wont catch them in either ship!

Captain - Engineer.

Tactical Lt...............BFAW1, APB1
Eng Ensign.............EPTA1
Eng Commander....EPTA1, ASIF1, ET3, ES3
Eng Lt Com.............EPTS1, RSP1, EPTS3
Sci Lt.......................HE1, TSS2

Fore - 4 beam array - shpping for sexy tets!
Deflector - Borg
Engine - Borg
Shield - Honor Guard (when it drops Paratrinic for now)
Aft - 4 beam array (poss slow mines)
Devices - Batteries / Subspace Field Modulator.
E. Consoles - RCS accelerator / Neutronium Alloy / 2 x SIF generators
S. Consoles - Borg / Field Generator
T. Consoles - 3 x Energy type

Running with all beams so they are more 'fire and forget' with their forgiving arcs i can follow heal target when needed.

Amazed at how high my power settings are with 0 management!

Shopping list for now is energy weapons (so ill be semi rainbow for a while - that will cheer pug groups up!), and the Boffs I need (any idea how many to reduce ET to 15 secs?).

Thanks again for feedback - I will repost here after using the build for a bit to let you know how it fares.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Tactical Lt...............BFAW1, APB1
Eng Ensign.............EPTA1
Eng Commander....EPTA1, ASIF1, ET3, ES3
Eng Lt Com.............EPTS1, RSP1, EPTS3
Sci Lt.......................HE1, TSS2
I think ASIF 2, is better than EptS 3 as you should be tanky enough to survive without it as an Engineer in a cruiser.

Quote:
Vorchas really don't even need EPTW especially with Engineer captains...
Change your other EPTW1 for an EPTA1.
It has been said that the Vor'cha can reach 125 without EptW however I had thought that the actually cap was now 135? Even if not the 15 power whether supplied by EptW or EptA is the same and EptW offers a better extra ability along with it (+7.5% damage for 5 seconds) vs (+45 stealth for 5 seconds/+ 0.9 stealth sight for 5 seconds).

For example (assuming +15 from consoles/skills/innate bonus),
Power settings without EptW
85/25/25/65)
(125/25/25/65) With EptW

100/25/25/50
(125/25/25/65) With EptA

So if you account for the power provided by them the only difference is in the bonus they provide.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirourm
I think ASIF 2, is better than EptS 3 as you should be tanky enough to survive without it as an Engineer in a cruiser.

It has been said that the Vor'cha can reach 125 without EptW however I had thought that the actually cap was now 135? Even if not the 15 power whether supplied by EptW or EptA is the same and EptW offers a better extra ability along with it (+7.5% damage for 5 seconds) vs (+45 stealth for 5 seconds/+ 0.9 stealth sight for 5 seconds).

For example (assuming +15 from consoles/skills/innate bonus),
85/25/25/65)
(125/25/25/65) With EptW

100/25/25/50
(125/25/25/65) With EptA

So if you account for the power provided by them the only difference is in the bonus they provide.
nope, after another thorough retest the other day 135 actually caused my energy to dip lower then it did when it was set to 125.

and no again to EPtW. with EPtA giving you 22 aux power, you can set a preset to max your base aux level to 100, and with EPtA you can hit 125 aux easy. by just changing presets you could go from 125 weapons power to 125 aux power. cant do that if you run EPtW though
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
and no again to EPtW. with EPtA giving you 22 aux power, you can set a preset to max your base aux level to 100, and with EPtA you can hit 125 aux easy. by just changing presets you could go from 125 weapons power to 125 aux power. cant do that if you run EPtW though
This is true, I was assuming that you would be specced to reach 120 aux at a 100 aux preset without using EptA. Since I am usually running full weapons this makes the most sense in maximizing my auxiliary power as well as making the EptA redundant if you switch to 100 aux. If you aren't specced in such a way running EptA does make sense, though I find rarely there is a situation in which I need to have full aux for a length of time that I can not achieve using batteries/EPS flow/Red Matter Capacitor making the entire point moot, considering with 75/25/25/75 power settings, in combination with EptW and my spec, yields 125/25/25/95 alone.

Here is my Negh'var build/spec for anyone interested: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=neghvareng_0
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirourm
This is true, I was assuming that you would be specced to reach 120 aux at a 100 aux preset without using EptA. Since I am usually running full weapons this makes the most sense in maximizing my auxiliary power as well as making the EptA redundant if you switch to 100 aux. If you aren't specced in such a way running EptA does make sense, though I find rarely there is a situation in which I need to have full aux for a length of time that I can not achieve using batteries/EPS flow/Red Matter Capacitor making the entire point moot, considering with 75/25/25/75 power settings, in combination with EptW and my spec, yields 125/25/25/95 alone.

Here is my Negh'var build/spec for anyone interested: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=neghvareng_0

the borg console, skillpoints and the natural 10 to weapons gives you around 125 weapons energy all by itself, none of those things do the same for your aux levels on a klingon cruiser, and it could never reach 125 aux energy without EPtA 1. you would want aux that high if you ran HE, TSS, and A2S, these are all aux level dependent and can be buffed to the extreme with high aux levels.

if you use EPtW, and lower your base weapons level to around 80, you can dump more energy into your shields or aux, but you would never be able to get max 125 aux that way.