Lt. Commander
# 1 Infected Space Question
03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm trying to decide if I'm missing something or its as simple as people being stupid. The end of Infected Space where the Tactical Cube shows up, and usually about half the group breaks off to ignore it and focus on the Gateway. To my understanding, the Tac Cube is a much bigger threat, and has less HP, and since both need to be destroyed to finish the mission, it should be the priority target right? Or should I be running away and focusing on the Gateway too?

Edit/PS
I am quite new to STFs, just going off of guides and 4 days experience. It just seems like a Logic 101 thing to me to shoot the dangerous thing first.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2012, 11:24 PM
This is the problem with random pickup groups. People just tend to do their own thing and not really pay attention to chat.
While split up can work well for running on Normal, you may run into some issue while running Elite.

Myself personally, I prefer to go after the tac cube first.
I would recommend insted of doing STF's with random PUG's, join the channel Elite STF and get a team throgh there. People are a lot more talkative and funtion better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Not sure if there is an "official" reasoning or not but my thought is that, the Tactical Cube doesn't engage if no one touches it, at least as far as I've seen. Usually everyone scoots behind the Gateway and the Cube just sits and waits its turn. To engage the cube, you're generally in range of the Gateway as well which means two targets shooting at you - one's better, divide and conquer. That's where my logic takes me at any rate.

hmm, actually the Cube does come I think but it doesn't come very fast if no one engages. Usually when the last transponder(?) is down I use evasive manuevers for the speed boost and head to the back of the Gateway until I'm at about 9.58km. There the Cube is usually 17.5km away and by the time the Gateway goes down the Cube is still about 13km away. Cube gets a Macho Man flying elbow drop after that. Ohh yeah!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Gate can be killed without "alert" the Cube, but if you try to kill the Cube the Gate can bug you if the group don't take special care. Unless you drag him far from the Gate, of course, but that requires some time.

Is just easier to kill the Gate first while the Cube is sleeping or just avoiding him moving around the Gate, and then focus on him.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarileria
Not sure if there is an "official" reasoning or not but my thought is that, the Tactical Cube doesn't engage if no one touches it, at least as far as I've seen. Usually everyone scoots behind the Gateway and the Cube just sits and waits its turn. To engage the cube, you're generally in range of the Gateway as well which means two targets shooting at you - one's better, divide and conquer. That's where my logic takes me at any rate.

hmm, actually the Cube does come I think but it doesn't come very fast if no one engages. Usually when the last transponder(?) is down I use evasive manuevers for the speed boost and head to the back of the Gateway until I'm at about 9.58km. There the Cube is usually 17.5km away and by the time the Gateway goes down the Cube is still about 13km away. Cube gets a Macho Man flying elbow drop after that. Ohh yeah!
Most of the time, on Elite, the groups I've been in will go for the gate first for the reason you mentioned. Deal with the cube first, you're in range of the gate. Don't agro the cube, take out the gate, the cube "waits it's turn" as you put it. On Elite tanking one can be done, tanking both at the same time doesn't work well.
If you're in a normal you can split it however you want.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Ah, I didn't realize the Cube was so polite. Getting the gate first definately makes sense then. Glad I asked. Was getting annoyed getting killed while everyone else 'hid,' but now I know was my bad. Well thats why ya ask, to learn.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Please note that if anyone dies they usually head for the gate at the most direct route which takes them within the cubes 9km aggro range, activating it and now you have to deal with both the cube and gate.

If you die in an infected Elite, please turn left or right and curve around the cube to get to the gate.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen_the_Black
Please note that if anyone dies they usually head for the gate at the most direct route which takes them within the cubes 9km aggro range, activating it and now you have to deal with both the cube and gate.

If you die in an infected Elite, please turn left or right and curve around the cube to get to the gate.
Good point. I do it so often now I forgot about that.