Lt. Commander
# 21
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
so when the guy next to you gets it on his very first run, that's supposed to make you feel good, when you've run well over 300?

the problem is not running it, its the absolute lack of any guarantee that you will get it, ever. Hard work is fine, but at some point it would be nice to know that all your hard work WILL pay off, with the current system, you cant' say that with certainty.
No guarantee? The drop rate is low, but not that low. If you've run 300 Elite STFs and not gotten one Prototype Tech you are in the very, very, very, very small minority.

STFs are much shorter than your run of the mill end game dungeon in other MMOs, while the drop rate of loot is comparable if not higher. You can run an STF in 20-30 minutes with a good team. An endgame dungeon in other MMOs usually takes 2-4 hours. It can take months to complete end-game gear sets and there is no guarantee that you will ever get the best gear in the game.

All the people I know who've reached "Starfleet Cross" (150 Elites) have at least 1 and as many as 4 tech pieces.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
The thing is, there are reasons I'm playing STO rather than those other games, and the BS epic raid grind is one of the reasons.

I don't want to run elite STFs hundreds of time for a f'in helmet (and, in fact, I won't).

And then it chaps my rear that the devs are designing cool variant outfits for those MK XII ground gear sets that I and many other people will never ever get, rather than, say, more outfits I can actually use.

(Most of my characters are KDF, which makes such considerations more pressing)
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahinder
And then it chaps my rear that the devs are designing cool variant outfits for those MK XII ground gear sets that I and many other people will never ever get, rather than, say, more outfits I can actually use.
Exactly! It's not just about mk. 12 gear that's slightly better than mk. 11, it's about the accolades and costume pieces that are ONLY unlockable by getting the impossibly rare drops...

I fail to see how it would be any less "fun" if the random chance was removed from the equation. There have been several very good suggestions made yet they continue falling on deaf ears.

What's even more aggravating are the blue drops I've been getting lately in the elites... it's like they're there just to rub it in our faces that the purples aren't dropping.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-04-2012, 02:47 AM
The problem with the mk12 sets is that they are not a sign of been good, they are just of sign of luck. Since the drop is purely based on luck. You can run each elite once and get each time a drop. or you can run each 1000 times and get nothing.
That is the main flaw with the way it is currently setup.
Your mk12 set does not means you know what you are doing or are good at it. It just means you lucked out.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
EDC are the lowest form of the 3 Borg Currencies’; however, it has the most purchasing power.
^^^^ This

And its clearly wrong. I have a whole heap of blue "Rare Borg Salvage" I don't quite know what to do with. . . . MkX and XI kit doesn't really interest me . . . . I'd like some Doffs however.

Can't even trade or gift the ruddy things
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I also don't want to keep running these forever with no end in site. My other toons are feeling neglected. As far as having a couple of pieces of the mk xii set is worthless sence you can't mix and match with other mk values. On my main toon all I have so far is 3 mk armor techs. At this point I think they are a waste of bank space.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli

All the people I know who've reached "Starfleet Cross" (150 Elites) have at least 1 and as many as 4 tech pieces.
A small point here: The Starfleet Cross title is for completing 150 STFs, elite and normal combined, not for just 150 elites.

So those who have the Starfleet Cross title may not have any prototype tech at all, like myself.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Put the old ESD in Gamma and call it Regula Station. Put the STF vendor there. The Admiral D'vak (?) could be the base commander with the Klingon General, and Federation Admiral being liaisons to their respective factions.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
This, Make 20 Proto Salvages a Proto Tech... no way to get salvages except drops... but still the chance to get a proto salvage is 200 times the chance for a tech, realisticly 20 proto salvage is easyer to get then 1 tech, hell i had 60 last week, ive only found 1 proto tech
That would be a good solution.

It's still tough to get, it's not a guaranteed drop and there is still an element of luck of the draw.

Proto Salvage is also used for your weapon upgrades, so there is a real choice to be made on how and when you want to spend these.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli
No guarantee? The drop rate is low, but not that low. If you've run 300 Elite STFs and not gotten one Prototype Tech you are in the very, very, very, very small minority.

that minority, is more than minor, hell bran flakes was over 156 to get his, and he's just one notable person. (who would have to chime in here to clarify it if he has it now.) many more have gone hundreds, someone some where totaled his runs to get all of his, and I think, it was a four digit number, if not over.

The fact remains, its way to random and even if it is a minority, they have every right to have that effort pay off as anyone else. btw 150 runs and only 1, speaks to the problem as well, its way to low of a drop rate.

you should take a look at how small the minority is, because i don't think its that minor. More folks are becoming disenchanted with the grind because of this drop rate issue meaning LESS folks doing what little end game we have. Considering how hesitant to make something for a minor game play group they already are, do you want them to stop making end game because its not" Cost effective"?

btw I refuse to even step foot in an stf, why? That drop rate. Sorry, I want to KNOW that at some point I will get the reward for busting my tail. a chance at a chance, is NOT worth the effort it would take.