Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Utopia Planitia is as much of an integral part of Star Trek as is the Star Fleet Academy, Earth Space Dock, and countless other aspects in the game as well as Star Trek overall.

When I first heard about the First Contact Day event and that they were finally giving some long overdue attention to something that has been so obviously missing in this game I got really excited about the possibilities. Now we're being told it's only going to be around for a very limited time.

I'm Hereby petitioning Cryptic to leave U.P.S. as a playable map in the game after the event. With the simple addition of a bank, exchange, ship selection and customization consoles along with ship weapon and equipment vendors this could easily become a social map for people to use if they chose to. It'll probably never see enough usage to go beyond needing 1 instance. Adding a bar/club/longue more like the ten forward or Quark's compared to a club 47 style would facilitate a more social setting and the addition of some holodecks could add some later functionality to a "try before you buy" feature or some type of holodeck sims that would take it beyond just a social map.

Several people (including some from Cryptic) have mentioned player rage if all shipyard functions were removed from ESD and moved to UPS. Player rage when something is so drastically altered like the Field Generator console which there was no reason for. While moving all shipyard functions from ESD to UPS might have the same effect there really is a simple solution, and that is to simply allow us the choice of which location we want to go to for these things. The addition of a single map can not be that resource taxing that it cannot be done, and yes it would be a bit redundant, but again future possible uses for UPS should out way that. Not to mention in all of this you would still be allowing the convenience of doing everything on ESD, but also catering to the Star Trek fans that would really like to see more convergence between Star Trek Game and Star Trek In General. This really would be a win/win.

Hopefully this thread will give proof that this is something the players and Devs could really agree on and rally together behind.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I second the notion. I would also love to pick up new starships not from ESD but 'where it was built'. After all, new ships are deployed to my care in minimal equipment conditions and everyone would give them a thorough retrofit before battle.

The shipyards will also need to feature partially built ships in orbit and on the ground. Who wouldn't love the ability to view a under-construction Galaxy or Odyssey class still in their component sub-assemblies?

Also, currently there is a glitch with one of the spacewalking missions that allows you to walk on the external hull of your own vessel. Apparently, little additional coding would be required save for spacejump nav points because I was able to walk around the starboard pylon of my RSV with no issues at all. Would love to see a map or two featured on an exterior hull (engineering inspection quest?) just for fond First Contact memories
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Even just something as simple as being able to take a shuttle pod out and being able to fly around a brand new ship class inspecting the progress of completion or once it's complete could greatly add to the immersion as well. There have been many times this has been seen either prior to a shakedown run or after a refit or massive damage repairs. It has become such commonplace that functionality overrides immersion or game play and it's time something is done to reverse that type of thinking, not just in this game, but in the industry as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I 2nd the notion as well
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I have to agree - don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything wrong with Spacedock other than the fact that, well... it feels like a car park rather than a showroom, and I wouldn't expect to be able to purchase a new car from a car park.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2012, 02:40 AM
I fully agree.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2012, 04:36 AM
DOff engineering hot spot anyone?

Foundry mission implementation?

New social map?

Of course keep it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2012, 04:43 AM
If theres nothing to do there... meh...

If they have something to do... Sure... why not.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2012, 04:52 AM
if they ever added a ship version of the doff system for admirals... let people craft/buy ships there.

Doff:
Hot spot for Engineering,Recruitment and development missions.

Foundry:
while your at it... prison map for last FWE for founry too plox.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Also, currently there is a glitch with one of the spacewalking missions that allows you to walk on the external hull of your own vessel. Apparently, little additional coding would be required save for spacejump nav points because I was able to walk around the starboard pylon of my RSV with no issues at all. Would love to see a map or two featured on an exterior hull (engineering inspection quest?) just for fond First Contact memories
Whoa, how did you do THAT?