Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
For raw DPS 2 Photon torpedoes put out a ton of damage. If we're looking at unmodified auto-firing torpedos Photons are superior.

But we're not even a torp spread kicks the Quantum up significantly.

And Tac team 1 is an awesome thing to have on your cruisers arsenal. Shield rebalance and boarding party removal.

If you really really want to do without Tac Team you need Transfer Shield Strength and I believe the Transporter Officer DOFF to remove Boarding parties.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawnne
Yuck, two rear torpedos? Or even... two forward torpedos on a cruiser? That is honestly 3 too many torpedo launchers. You want Quantums if you use torpedo skills, since a buffed quantum does a lot more damage than a buffed photon, photons are only effective for leveling, or a torpedo boat, which yours is not.

I mean, think about it, how often is the second rear torpedo firing, versus if you had a beam array there? Also, with your build, at least half of your total weapons are useless when either facing or broadsiding an enemy. Facing head on, you are wasting ALL rear weapons, when broadsiding, you are wasting ALL your torps, so best case scenario is you are at 50% efficiency. I suspect you spent too much time "lining up your shots" as it were.


Compare that to how I run my cruisers, with all beam arrays and a torpedo launcher, usually quantums. I get my 1 launcher in there for good damage with spread/high yield, but the real damage is a 7-beam broadside, when used with FAW and a DEM or something, it can clear a half-dozen probes very quickly, all while facing the direction I want to move in after they are dead.
Photons do more DPS than quantums.

Projectile weapon officer doffs help the torpedo launchers fire off very quickly. Having used a purple and two blue PWO Doffs with both XI purple borg photons and quantums (with their respective XI blue consoles) in STFs, for my play style, photons are better (and do more damage).

Since I keep either my front or my rear to an enemy most all the time in STFs my second torpedo launcher fires quite a bit. Also, I do not broadside in my ship unless I am in the process of facing to or away from the enemy.

I also have FAW and a point defense console (the PDF clears probes quite well).

Boarding parties really lock down an enemy. With two you have the enemy affected for 30 seconds, then 15 seconds of peace, then the next boarding party locks them down. The bonus from the flight deck officer just makes it that much better.

Anyways, I have tried a 7 beam build and prefer mine to it.

I hope yours works out as well for you as mine does for me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Photons do more DPS than quantums.

Projectile weapon officer doffs help the torpedo launchers fire off very quickly. Having used a purple and two blue PWO Doffs with both XI purple borg photons and quantums (with their respective XI blue consoles) in STFs, for my play style, photons are better (and do more damage).

Since I keep either my front or my rear to an enemy most all the time in STFs my second torpedo launcher fires quite a bit. Also, I do not broadside in my ship unless I am in the process of facing to or away from the enemy.

I also have FAW and a point defense console (the PDF clears probes quite well).

Boarding parties really lock down an enemy. With two you have the enemy affected for 30 seconds, then 15 seconds of peace, then the next boarding party locks them down. The bonus from the flight deck officer just makes it that much better.

Anyways, I have tried a 7 beam build and prefer mine to it.

I hope yours works out as well for you as mine does for me.
And your DPS in an ESTF will be less than 1k, totally unacceptable if that is what you want to do, all you are doing is failing the ESFT for the other 4 people, do you really have that right ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygone View Post
And your DPS in an ESTF will be less than 1k, [...]
If I am not mistaken, it will be more like 4000 against unshielded and 2200 against shielded targets, even without torp spread or high yield. Oh, and without taking the [Borg] bonuses into account.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
If I am not mistaken, it will be more like 4000 against unshielded and 2200 against shielded targets, even without torp spread or high yield. Oh, and without taking the [Borg] bonuses into account.
How do you figure that? Reading hte tooltips from the skill screen, come do a ESFT with me this evening, lets see how much you do
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygone View Post
And your DPS in an ESTF will be less than 1k, totally unacceptable if that is what you want to do, all you are doing is failing the ESFT for the other 4 people, do you really have that right ?
Can you show me the log you parsed, using my build in an ESTF, showing the damage would be less than 1k please?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygone View Post
How do you figure that? Reading hte tooltips from the skill screen, come do a ESFT with me this evening, lets see how much you do
Three rare projectile weapons doffs will increase the RoF for Photon torpedos to about one volley per 2.25 seconds. (3.25 for Quantums.) Base damage (without any photon detonation assemblies) is something like 3000 points, that is slightly less than 1500 dps per launcher, with two launchers. Add two Phasers to that which will do 600+ dps with max power to weapons, and you are beyond 4000 dps already. Then add High Yield effects.

There is a reason why Starfleet gives you the Assault Cruiser with 2 torps and 2 beams fore and aft.

I run such a setup of 2 t/2b fore and 2t/2b aft, too, and am very happy with it, but I do use photon detonation assemblies and captain skills, so my torps do more than 5000 per volley. Go figure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-03-2012, 02:22 PM
For an Excelsior, you should try Borg console and engine, Omega Shield and deflector, and 8 tetryon beam arrays. Tetryon Glider is an awesome power, and if you spec fully into Flow Capacitors and add 3 Tetryon damage +26% consoles plus 2 Flow Capacitor sci consoles, you can get up to about 28 extra damage per shot per weapon. Not counting the tetryon beam proc itself, that's almost 900 extra damage per volley on an 8-beam broadside.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
For an Excelsior, you should try Borg console and engine, Omega Shield and deflector, and 8 tetryon beam arrays. Tetryon Glider is an awesome power, and if you spec fully into Flow Capacitors and add 3 Tetryon damage +26% consoles plus 2 Flow Capacitor sci consoles, you can get up to about 28 extra damage per shot per weapon. Not counting the tetryon beam proc itself, that's almost 900 extra damage per volley on an 8-beam broadside.
So would this setup greatly vary with having only 6 points Flow Capacitors?
Or would anti proton be more effective?

Sorry if I am sounding like a complete noob.

So far I have the omega deflector and Borg console
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawnne
Yuck, two rear torpedos? .
It is only yuck if you hate DPS.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM.