Lt. Commander
I don't want them to be scary. I think looming scary threats that last forever are un-Star Trek.

I think it was a GOOD THING that they aren't as threatening after Voyager. Heck, the fact that there was a Collective after the Hugh episode and Lore/Borg episodes took a retcon.

They should never be as threatening as they were at Wolf 359 EVER. If you like how that episode made you feel, I think it's better to demand new, scary stories with new species and let the Borg settle down into a more mundane life as a more mundane power.

At a certain point, Bane and Doomsday are just part of Batman and Superman's rogues galleries. At a certain point, the Shadows and the Vorlons and the First Ones ain't anything special and need to be told to go away. Buffy doesn't fight the same Big Bad twice. And the Master is just a scared and victimized bully underneath his bluster.

NOTHING should be perpetually scary past its fresh date, not even mindless forces of nature.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2012, 01:58 AM
The Borg have been around for thousands of years IIRC, I'm pretty sure they've overcome bigger obstacles than the Alpha Quadrant powers. They haven't been scary for a long time, though. Voyager and FC did all they could to turn the menacing borg into bumbling space vampires. I don't really find that scary at all

Seriously though, the Borg sure are overused. I wouldn't mind another big bad for STFs and sector incursions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2012, 02:00 AM
I thought the Undine were the big bad in STO, was I wrong?

Edit: Or maybe even the Iconian?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autistic_Cucoo
Seriously though, the Borg sure are overused. I wouldn't mind another big bad for STFs and sector incursions.
I can agree its time for a new "Big Bad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I don't want them to be scary. I think looming scary threats that last forever are un-Star Trek.

I think it was a GOOD THING that they aren't as threatening after Voyager. Heck, the fact that there was a Collective after the Hugh episode and Lore/Borg episodes took a retcon.

They should never be as threatening as they were at Wolf 359 EVER. If you like how that episode made you feel, I think it's better to demand new, scary stories with new species and let the Borg settle down into a more mundane life as a more mundane power.

At a certain point, Bane and Doomsday are just part of Batman and Superman's rogues galleries. At a certain point, the Shadows and the Vorlons and the First Ones ain't anything special and need to be told to go away. Buffy doesn't fight the same Big Bad twice. And the Master is just a scared and victimized bully underneath his bluster.

NOTHING should be perpetually scary past its fresh date, not even mindless forces of nature.
tbh imho The Borg are not scary enough and if they cant maintain that mantle of "Oh Crap!" then its time to move on. They might make good footsoldiers for the Iconians however, add in a few fresh models of some really evil looking drones.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2012, 02:16 AM
I dunno... Go tell the next Hurricane/Tornado/Tsunami that you have seen it before and it is not scary anymore.

The Borg have not been just sitting on their bums. They have been out assimilating new species and technology making them even more terrifying all this time but really my thread has a better solution for what to do with them: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=264226
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2012, 04:41 AM
MMORPGs develop over time and tell new stories with new villains. At least that's how they're supposed to work. STO's been static and stagnant. It's been way too much Borg, not enough other stuff.

It'd be like Everquest still making Vox, Nagafen, Cazic Thule and Innoruuk the villain 13 years later.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I have nothing against the Borg used as villian - but they should be a much bigger threat. i love how unstoppable even a single cube was in the early TNG days - but the game would need to be designed complety different to archieve this, and that will not happen
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-02-2012, 04:59 AM
I think of them as one of the ever present Villians, bent on the destruction of the Federation, The KDF and all beings who mean to defy them.

If there is any issue in STO its that we have many such villians and not enough story to set them up as the Nemisi of all sentients in the qaudrant.

The Borg, The Undine and The Iconians, There are always a plethora of bad guys willing to kill the hero for their own reasons, but there isn't always a story letting the player know what that reason may be or why we must stop it.

As a Villian mechanic in STO I find the Borg to be fine if a little lackluster like the Iconians and Undine.
Dangling stories that still need fleshing out on what the heroes of STO are to be battling for the good of the quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-02-2012, 05:05 AM
The Borg, TNG and First Contact, are fine. The Borg, Voyager and STO, are not.

Voyager turned the Borg into a rather dull 'villain of the week' and STO continued along that Theme. I can understand the gameplay reasons for it but quite honestly the Borg should have been left for large scale fleet actions.

It's not the Borg who are the problem it's the handling of them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAngel View Post
I have nothing against the Borg used as villian - but they should be a much bigger threat. i love how unstoppable even a single cube was in the early TNG days - but the game would need to be designed complety different to archieve this, and that will not happen
Personally, I think a single Borg cube should replace (or add to) Fleet Actions such as the Crystalline Entity (as just as bloody hard to defeat as the CE), and act just as the Sector Alerts do now.

There should also be a mechanic where random worlds (for missions et al) in the Sector are rendered temporaily unavailable if the Fleet Action/Red Alert fails, to motivate players to participate.