Lt. Commander
# 21
04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
I have to admit that Iím getting tired of the battling the Borg over and over and over again.

It would be nice if Cryptic would release the Into the Hive so we can move on past the Borg and on to a new and perhaps more ominous threat to all the quadrants.

In one of the non-cannon books, Mirror Picard more or less wiped out the Borg using some kind of Iconian virus, I hope something like that takes place here has well.

I donít want the Borg gone, I just want them to step aside and make way for a new challenger.

Iím hoping that the Romulans and the Iconians become this new challenge but at this point Iíd be willing fight the Kazon.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
MMORPGs develop over time and tell new stories with new villains. At least that's how they're supposed to work. STO's been static and stagnant. It's been way too much Borg, not enough other stuff.

It'd be like Everquest still making Vox, Nagafen, Cazic Thule and Innoruuk the villain 13 years later.
I very much agree.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
NO NO NO yes i have had enough of the borg but this story needs to get rid of more enemies than it has at the moment sort some those problems out first then we can move onto a new enemy.

make peace with the klingons

make peace with the undine

finish off the true way and kill the last of the jem ha dar ( the laphas not the gammes)

the introduce the inconians with the romulans and then the game could take on a whole new direction
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autistic_Cucoo
The Borg have been around for thousands of years IIRC, I'm pretty sure they've overcome bigger obstacles than the Alpha Quadrant powers. They haven't been scary for a long time, though. Voyager and FC did all they could to turn the menacing borg into bumbling space vampires. I don't really find that scary at all

Seriously though, the Borg sure are overused. I wouldn't mind another big bad for STFs and sector incursions.
Wile the borg are slightly overused they still make all the alpha quadrant threats look like rainstorms but I would love for them to expand on the Undin drones we fought in Assimilation or was it the Maze one don't quite sure
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Star Trek writers for videogames, books and Voyager overused the Borg to the point where they have become mundane, no matter how much they try and make them seem threatening. Voyager especially killed any impact the borg may have once had, yet they're still used as the typical go to bad guy, whenever they need a big threat.

I'd really love to see STO move beyond this, and just further the whole timeline in general. It's supposed to be an MMO, but it feels very static and stagnant. There's no changes, no big events and nothing to keep people interested, period.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think it was a GOOD THING that they aren't as threatening after Voyager. Heck, the fact that there was a Collective after the Hugh episode and Lore/Borg episodes took a retcon.
Not really. Each ship has its own "router" so to speak to connect to the collective. Aberrant could easily trigger a cut-off protocol.

The Borg are a very dangerous threat, however, they are resource limited. Except for a few incursions, and the minor foothold they've gained in the Gamma Orionis sector block, they aren't breathing down anybody's neck in the Alpha Quadrant. They're still largely in the Delta Quadrant, and its more practical for them to focus most of their efforts on taking the rest of the Delta Quadrant before making any real push elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBishop
tbh imho The Borg are not scary enough and if they cant maintain that mantle of "Oh Crap!" then its time to move on.
That's why First Contact and Voyager failed with regard to the Borg. The Queen never should have been invented, and the Crew of Voyager should never have been make Technological Superhero Wizards in space.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I think the overuse of the Borg stems a great deal from the rampant Star Wars fanboyism that exists among the developers. If you listen to enough podcasts you eventually begin to notice a pattern of them continuously lavishing praise on Star Wars and how they want this to be like Star Wars and that to be like Star Wars and how they like working on this better than that because they can go more Star Wars with it. And if you look at the Star Wars method of telling stories you notice it is pretty much always the same baddies, just with minor variations on a theme - like this week it's Darth Oogyboogy instead of Darth Scarydude who is controlling the Clone Troops or whatever. No real variety. I think maybe in STO the Borg are analogous to the Empire for the devs. They'll probably just keep using them.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyrin
In the "original" timeline, the borg were removed by the caeliar during a devastating attack on alpha and beta quadrant. (Start trek: destiny trilogy). After that, the next enemy was the typhon pact. It consists of the Romulan Star Empire, Tzenkethi Coalition, Breen Confederacy, Gorn Hegemony, Tholian Assembly and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya. After getting knowledge about the pact, the khitomer accord was expanded with Ferengi Alliance, Talarian Republic and Cardassian Union.
Tbh, i was hoping, when i heard first of STO, that they will use that configuration.
Not canon.
Not A fan of ST novels, and I hated this way they tried to just sweep the Borg threat away.
I was very happy that STO made this attempt FAIL.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henshin_Cyborg
Not canon.
I hate ST novels, and I hated this way they tried to just sweep the Borg threat away.
I was VERY happy that STO made this attempt FAIL.
Based on the Synopsis you quoted, that sounds like a very bad writer and/or somebody who doesn't know their Trek lore. The Q, while being omnipotent, knew well enough that the Borg are a very powerful faction that can't easily be stopped using non omnipotent means. Hence why they don't mess with them much (since the Q, overall, seem to be disinterested in stomping around in the children's playground that is our universe).