Lt. Commander
# 31
04-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyrin
... the next enemy was the typhon pact. It consists of the Romulan Star Empire, Tzenkethi Coalition, Breen Confederacy, Gorn Hegemony, Tholian Assembly and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya.
I'm stunned about how bad an idea that is.

Whoever the writer is, they should be ashamed of themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I think it is about time the Borg left. Or, better idea, do a 2 week long event to finally force them back to the Delta Quadrant. Drop some nice rewards and finally have the borg out of the way.

This allows the story to move on to more interesting enemies. Iconian, tholian, etc.

I would like the borg not to be forgotten and to show up later after they have adapted. However, I would like to see the borg be a nasty fight. It always annoys me that 5 ships can take down a tactical cube especially when an entire fleet engaged a standard cube a Wolf 359 and got squashed.

Purge the collective from the alpha/beta quadrants and bring them back in a couple years as proper hard as hell borg. Make us really fight them to take em down.

Lion.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLion View Post
I think it is about time the Borg left. Or, better idea, do a 2 week long event to finally force them back to the Delta Quadrant. Drop some nice rewards and finally have the borg out of the way.

This allows the story to move on to more interesting enemies. Iconian, tholian, etc.

I would like the borg not to be forgotten and to show up later after they have adapted. However, I would like to see the borg be a nasty fight. It always annoys me that 5 ships can take down a tactical cube especially when an entire fleet engaged a standard cube a Wolf 359 and got squashed.

Purge the collective from the alpha/beta quadrants and bring them back in a couple years as proper hard as hell borg. Make us really fight them to take em down.

Lion.
Yeah that would be nice but in the end you’d still have 5 ships opening up a can on Borg Cubes.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLion View Post

Lion.
What would happen in the time of teh Borg leaving and thier return at a later date?
Where would the new content come from? Could the STO community survive the wait it would take to appear? What happens when the community gets bored with the "new"?
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
What would happen in the time of teh Borg leaving and thier return at a later date?
Where would the new content come from? Could the STO community survive the wait it would take to appear? What happens when the community gets bored with the "new"?
Then you add another "new."

Heck, it's not like we haven't killed half of the lore figures we've encountered so far.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
The Borg aren't an enemy that can be reasoned with, so peace would only happen if they were literally driven out of existence somehow.

The reality is the only reason they are being beaten at all is because we all respawn. Many Borg incursion events go undefeated, and any one such that actually went somewhere populated should mean a full scale ground invasion.

In other words, they are only non-scary because they are hamstrung artificially. Unstopped invasion fleets in your home quadrant is, on the face of it, a very scary thing....
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
The Borg should have been used as a rare event where you'll have one cube invade a random sector and/or star system which would require you to engage and force them out. There would be three types: deep space engagement with a cube; star system engagement with a cube and assimilated faction ships/starbases; and planet surface invasion.

It would also be random which version of the invasion you get at any one time, but the look and feel of the map you're fighting on would use the same type of phasing they once used for the Reculse's Victory PvP map to help facilitate the impression that you're losing or gaining ground. I doubt it'd happen though as it'd be fairly asset intensive to make.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
There is no reason to be scared of the borg. They are highly misunderstood people and just want to be your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Then you add another "new."

Heck, it's not like we haven't killed half of the lore figures we've encountered so far.

You do realize how problematic it is to keep coming up with 'new.' It is a very easy thing to insist on but a nigh impossible thing thing to accomplish.

How much 'new' and how often? How much new ill you have exactly what you are lamenting in the OP, namely it not being Star Trek, but something 'new' instead?

When Q originally warned the Enterprise, the warning was that the Borg were coming, and to prepare. They were only seriously defeated in Star Trek once, namely in First Contact by Picard using inside information. They have lost only one fleet that we know of.

There is no canon that I know of in which the worlds where we have 'fallen back' from have been retaken.

Maybe they shouldn't have been brought into Star Trek at all, but they were.

Setting canon aside, in an MMO it is generally not a good idea to remove content, especially in an MMO that already has relatively little. The Borg stalemate may seem boring to you but that doesn't mean it should go away. If you find it boring, do something else and let those who still enjoy it play with it.

Frankly I hate the whole Enterprise temporal cold war storyline, but that is tied into STO too. If everything any given person doesn't like is removed, you won't have anything.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
You do realize how problematic it is to keep coming up with 'new.' It is a very easy thing to insist on but a nigh impossible thing thing to accomplish.

How much 'new' and how often? How much new ill you have exactly what you are lamenting in the OP, namely it not being Star Trek, but something 'new' instead?

When Q originally warned the Enterprise, the warning was that the Borg were coming, and to prepare. They were only seriously defeated in Star Trek once, namely in First Contact by Picard using inside information. They have lost only one fleet that we know of.

There is no canon that I know of in which the worlds where we have 'fallen back' from have been retaken.

Maybe they shouldn't have been brought into Star Trek at all, but they were.

Setting canon aside, in an MMO it is generally not a good idea to remove content, especially in an MMO that already has relatively little. The Borg stalemate may seem boring to you but that doesn't mean it should go away. If you find it boring, do something else and let those who still enjoy it play with it.

Frankly I hate the whole Enterprise temporal cold war storyline, but that is tied into STO too. If everything any given person doesn't like is removed, you won't have anything.
Who's talking about removing content? All old content takes place "in the past."

I'm just ready for the storyline to progress.