Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
I tried telling Heretic that the Fleet Starbases are a terribad idea but he's dead set on implementing them. I think many people at Cryptic do this sort of thing and when we tell them it's awful they say we're just afraid of change.

Fleet Starbases is one of those things that everyone thinks they want but they really don't. Latest example is shipboard interior DOff assignments. Great "reality" of Star Trek, super inconvenient to actually use and very much a pain. We're already barely a Starfleet with Cryptic's one-ship one-story paradigm, and now with Zone being so unmoderated most non-F2P people will sit in their quiet Fleet Bases all the time.
I think there is some truth to that though. We're anything but indifferent about change.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
I tried telling Heretic that the Fleet Starbases are a terribad idea but he's dead set on implementing them.
I don't think they are a terrible idea , I just think that the timing they chosen to implement them is terrible .
So many other things are needed more . Urgently .
It's such a huge derailment of Dev resources .
Yet at the same time I can see the "logic" . Other MMO's have this , so "we" must have it too .

It's one of those decisions -- like the speeding up the game to level faster . That too must make sense through some use of logic , it's just not logic relevant to the game . To THIS game . That lacks End Game content This Much .

Everything else that I could think about the OP's topic has been stated by others .
By the perception of us "older players" , the game is "late" to introduce the last Borg STF/story , it's "late" developing the Iconian story line , and it's "late" delving into the Romulans/Remans once more .
(just as it's late doing something with the Kling story lines and introducing new ones like the Tholians)

Ironically the Tholians should be somewhat easy(er) to introduce because many of the mechanics needed (web in space + 6 legged walk) exists ingame already .
The "web" (the Nebula starships "sensor scan") may need a tweek tho ... , yet knowing Cryptic , they will redesign the whole thing from scratch .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I don't think they are a terrible idea , I just think that the timing they chosen to implement them is terrible .
So many other things are needed more . Urgently .
It's such a huge derailment of Dev resources .
Yet at the same time I can see the "logic" . Other MMO's have this , so "we" must have it too .

It's one of those decisions -- like the speeding up the game to level faster . That too must make sense through some use of logic , it's just not logic relevant to the game . To THIS game . That lacks End Game content This Much .

Everything else that I could think about the OP's topic has been stated by others .
By the perception of us "older players" , the game is "late" to introduce the last Borg STF/story , it's "late" developing the Iconian story line , and it's "late" delving into the Romulans/Remans once more .
(just as it's late doing something with the Kling story lines and introducing new ones like the Tholians)

Ironically the Tholians should be somewhat easy(er) to introduce because many of the mechanics needed (web in space + 6 legged walk) exists ingame already .
The "web" (the Nebula starships "sensor scan") may need a tweek tho ... , yet knowing Cryptic , they will redesign the whole thing from scratch .
They will redesign it and cuz its science will nerf it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Its a different situations were they started at, it also implies eventually they will reach a point were technology advantage gap will be nill and then the Federation will surpass the Borg.
This is quite possibly the biggest error in your entire argument, when the borg see new, stronger technology to assimilate they are more than willing to throw drone after drone, sphere after sphere and cube after cube at it to assimilate it or someone who knows it well, into their collective, then all knowledge of it is spread throughout all nearby drones and transmitted to the collective allowing them to use said technology or to adapt against it.

It is for this reason why Voyager couldn't allow One to join the collective as they would then have had 29th century federation technology to work with.

The ultimate problem with this, the Borg may assimilate an Iconian vessel at one point. Which will ultimately change the current face of the Alpha Quadrant forever.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I dislike the Borg. Their adaptation feels something like a cheesy Deus ex machinae. After that they feel like a random mishmash of plot holes and miscellaneous leftover elements from bad horror movies. Like what if Dracula and Frankenstein and Zombies were the same person?

I don't see why they can't be more plausible and scary without the "I'm going to adapt to everything you do" like we're two 5 year olds shouting Nuh Uh! at everybody.

Maybe instead they could use some of that advanced technology to stop limping around like zombies and develop some actual tactics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianazeta
I think that ''new type of cube'' that is downright impossible to beat with just 5 people should be the much rumored Borg Diamond.
I disagree, we've seen three sizes/types of Cube in the Canon, the "normal" (Patrol) Cube (seen extensively in Voyager, smaller than the Cubes from System J-25 and Wolf 359, what we see in game now) , the larger Tactical Cube, and massive "Invasion" Cube (seen at J-25 and Wolf 359). We have the first two in-game, but not the third.

A long while ago, I detailed what that Cube should be, and how it should work. It should be between 1.5 and 2 times the size of the current "patrol" Cubes, and run on 5 scripts, one on each side, independently targeting different weapons to as to allow the Cube to target several ships at once, with a fifth script running to navigate the vessel.

With a Hull and Shields easily twice to 3X as powerful as a Borg Tactical Cube, it should be the ultimate Space enemy, above and beyond any other, it should take a fleet (akin to Wolf 359 or the Battle of Sector 001) to take it down.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
04-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I dont think they should "trash bin" the Borg. But I am tired of em. Its just a tiresome, dull and monotonous storyline.

When in Voyager they introduced the Undine that was even more powerful than the Borg, I was happy. But alas due to the meddling of the Voyager crew, that didnt happen long. Since in cannon there isnt anything after TNG/DS9/Voyager I suppose the end all, be all natural enemy is the Borg.

But the whole Borg deal is played out worse than a terribad Nickeback song on the radio....time to switch stations.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
04-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
The ultimate problem with this, the Borg may assimilate an Iconian vessel at one point. Which will ultimately change the current face of the Alpha Quadrant forever.
Dont give them ideas - Id like to see some new enemies.
They wouldnt have to be that powerful even, just clever.

Copying a few minor facial features from CO would cater to my love of the ridged-nose-of-the-week scheme. ;p
Which is perfectly viable, because:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...drome_(episode)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
04-05-2012, 05:53 AM
fictional universe, but it does have a timeline, constant plot lines, recurring characters, species, races, enemies, locations. the borg are part of that. if one planet, moon, asteroid, or ship controlled by the borg survives, the borg survive. what is known to a single borg, is known to all borg. they are not ants. killing a 'queen' does nothing except perhaps have them designate a new one.

they're part of the star trek universe. like the romulans, klingons, ferengi, etc, etc, etc. thinking of them as 'just a storyline...is like thinking of the federation as just a storyline, or the klingon empire, cardassians, etc. the doom and gloom of the alpha quadrant would exist. the borg control countless systems, they adapt, cannot be reasoned with, ignore caualties, relentless, and continually add new systems to their domain...out of reach of the alpha races to do anything about.

alpha quadrant at best can embark on a holding action. attempt to gather more allies...undnine, iconian, and those unknown as of yet. the borg's one weakness is that they are a threat to all races. their strength is that if even a single probe survives...it can rebuild the entire collective. slowly, but inevitably.

blame the tng writers for the borg, they knew not what they unleashed. every other star trek villain or villainous species has some central point that can be obliterated to weaken them. manufacturing locations, homeworlds...something central. even a defined front that can be defended. loss of personal, loss of war ships matter to every other race...not to the borg.

so no, never obsolete...besides...they're the closest thing i've seen to berserker's brought to the screen. (fred saberhagen books)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.