Lt. Commander
# 41
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Because as he said they're working on getting it to the game ASAP. Meaning it's probably fixed on their test servers but just not on ours yet.
Silly me, I read the post then saw my game patching before I logged in and jumped to an obviously erroneous conclusion! So far Cryptic owes me about 20 Historical Datachips, cause I can't tell when the events are on.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
"ASAP"; right. So have they figured out what was wrong or not?
Lt. Commander
# 43 A quick reality check
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
For all you addicted fools, let me interject a tiny ray of reality.

The Devs are NOT your personal servants, regardless if you are Gold or Silver members. Unless YOU specifically are signing their paychecks, you have absolutely no room to rant, scream, complain, or otherwise denegrate these individuals.

A single line of code gets offset by a patch and you WILL have unintentional bugs such as the Event Calendar not updating past a certain time. Count the blessings that it was in such an obvious location and that it only affects daily events. It could have been buried under tons of other code and the only evidence of it is that random players lose all their dilithium and cpoints after completing an event and being deposited back in a certain sector.

These guys and gals work themselves silly behind the scenes of this MMO. Most of them get little or no recognition from the players, and I would not be surprised if they have not made jokes at every player's expense after spending 8 to 12 hours searching through lines of code for the error that causes something like this.

To the players that literally FLOCK to the forums to scream and rant when something goes wrong:
GROW UP AND LEARN A LITTLE HUMILITY AND PATIENCE

To all the Developers of this game:
Thank you for not laughing yourselves silly and throwing an EMP grenade into the server room...
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerdraco

The Devs are NOT your personal servants, regardless if you are Gold or Silver members. Unless YOU specifically are signing their paychecks, you have absolutely no room to rant, scream, complain, or otherwise denegrate these individuals.

A single line of code gets offset by a patch and you WILL have unintentional bugs such as the Event Calendar not updating past a certain time. Count the blessings that it was in such an obvious location and that it only affects daily events. It could have been buried under tons of other code and the only evidence of it is that random players lose all their dilithium and cpoints after completing an event and being deposited back in a certain sector.

These guys and gals work themselves silly behind the scenes of this MMO. Most of them get little or no recognition from the players, and I would not be surprised if they have not made jokes at every player's expense after spending 8 to 12 hours searching through lines of code for the error that causes something like this.

To the players that literally FLOCK to the forums to scream and rant when something goes wrong:
GROW UP AND LEARN A LITTLE HUMILITY AND PATIENCE

To all the Developers of this game:
Thank you for not laughing yourselves silly and throwing an EMP grenade into the server room...
Yeah, uhh, not at all. You're saying the consumers can't complain about a shoddy product? That's amazingly dumb. So I guess if I had one of those Toyotas where the brakes didn't work, I can't complain that I slammed in to a wall at 50 mph because I don't personally pay them to make the cars?

The truth is that, when there is a major problem, every customer has a right to complain as much as they want, until it is fixed. Especially in a case like this, where any one person checking the events on Tribble would have gone "Oh, we've destroyed half of every day's events. We should look in to this before releasing the patch". Instead, not only did they not see it, but they had to be told by players for 2-3 days afterwards that they were gone before anyone noticed. That's inexcusable. Similarly, If Google suddenly destroyed half of their organic search results during an upgrade to their search algorithm, or if Boeing built a plane but forgot to put seats or a cockpit in it, they'd get a ton of flak from people, and deservedly so. Someone should be fired over this.
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
If you think posts such as yours actually change the way people act, you need a reality check yourself. As long as game forums have existed people have been ranting, and people such as yourself have ranted about their ranting, to no effect. In reality you are simply doing the exact same thing as the people you are ranting about: blowing off steam about something that you dont like by attacking the people you think are responsible.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
"ASAP"; right. So have they figured out what was wrong or not?
Yes. "ASAP", literally meaning as soon as possible. Meaning, it should be in the next patch.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaybackXero
Yeah, uhh, not at all. You're saying the consumers can't complain about a shoddy product? That's amazingly dumb. So I guess if I had one of those Toyotas where the brakes didn't work, I can't complain that I slammed in to a wall at 50 mph because I don't personally pay them to make the cars?

The truth is that, when there is a major problem, every customer has a right to complain as much as they want, until it is fixed. Especially in a case like this, where any one person checking the events on Tribble would have gone "Oh, we've destroyed half of every day's events. We should look in to this before releasing the patch". Instead, not only did they not see it, but they had to be told by players for 2-3 days afterwards that they were gone before anyone noticed. That's inexcusable. Similarly, If Google suddenly destroyed half of their organic search results during an upgrade to their search algorithm, or if Boeing built a plane but forgot to put seats or a cockpit in it, they'd get a ton of flak from people, and deservedly so. Someone should be fired over this.
Consumers can and should complain. But not to the point of childishness. A true complaint addresses the issue directly and attempts to lend HELPFUL input into the corrective process.

Yelling "It's Broke!!! Fix it!!!" is not a complaint, it's whining.
Yelling "You idiots didn't see this before!?!" is not a complaint, it's verbal abuse (or written abuse in the case of the forums)

Personally, if you are ignorant and stupid enough to jump into a vehicle and gun it up to 50 MPH before checking if the brakes work you deserve the cosmic facepalm you get. The same thing goes for those that do not take reasonable measures to ensure that their vehicles are in good working order.

Granted, likely someone either missed this little bug or it never was considered possible to occur. Someone getting fired over it, now that's a bit much.

Of course, everyone on these forums is a staunch believer in moderation, tact, and forgiveness.

And to you, Grand Nagus, it was no rant. The only ones that take it as such are those that do rant continually. Being in the position of one who studies systems exactly like this in order to make them work more efficiently and solve problems in both the hardware and software, I can tell you that the easiest part of STO to code is also the one that most people here ignore.

You know that second little screen you see.....the one that says "Loading"....
Lt. Commander
# 48
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Consumers can and should complain.
Just want to interject one thing. Perspective. You have a short view of the game. Some like Nagus and I have been around here for a while. During that time frame we've dealt with many issues that have dragged on for a long time or been of such severity that it literally has brought the game to a Halt. We have experience with them, and how they react to things or don't. Frustration with them is evident, TBH honest, the "asap" post from Nagus, to me, sounds like he's screaming, because he's the most level headed person on the forums at times.

To us this unfortunately is the nature of the relationship with Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Yes. "ASAP", literally meaning as soon as possible. Meaning, it should be in the next patch.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Exactly what I wanted to here, thanks

Quote:
And to you, Grand Nagus, it was no rant
Of course you dont think it was, because people usually dont see their own posts as ranting. People usually think they are the one with the valid complaint, and it is the other people who are ranting. However your use of the terms "fools", "ignorant", "stupid", and the like in your last couple of post make it pretty obvious you are simply doing the exact same thing as the people you are ranting about. The only difference between you and the people who are ranting about is who you are ranting about. I just hope your ranting has made you feel better, even though you have been breaking the forum rules by insulting the people who disagree with
Lt. Commander
right before Bonus XP weekend...Just sayin...