Lt. Commander
# 1 Bortas Design?
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Is it me or do these look strikingly similar.

Bortas?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONHART View Post
Is it me or do these look strikingly similar.

Bortas?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
That's is pretty easy. Star Trek.
Why ask?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
It's been brought up before.
Logan said he never played Starcraft and he also noted the Klingons had hammerhead designs earlier (namely the structure under the D-7 bridge dome) so I guess the Klingons were first.:p
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Here's another fairly famous ship design with a hammerhead bridge and somewhat widened drive section.

And some design heritage... the Bortas's immediate predecessor.

The hammerhead bridge-neck-wide drive section is a fairly popular choice, it seems. The most striking similarity between the Bortas and the Terran ship linked is that in both, the flanges of the bridge section are lined with windows from multiple decks, and both have a triangle of lights in the middle. The Starcraft design is much blockier, though, and the overall proportions are fairly different.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
if im not mistaken, roddenberry sketched those designs also as a possibilty for the ent (ie the engines are dangerous, lets keep the crew far away from them)
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I named my Bortas "Cattle Bruiser" for the old Star Craft joke. Pretty much everyone that has played SC2 has made the connection. Even though the Star Craft Battle Cruiser design goes back more than 10 years to SC1, it is very specifically a parody of Star Trek bursting forth phrases like 'Take it slow', etc. So, I could see someone picking up design cues without ever encountering the design... though I also doubt that anyone doing demonstrations of games in 2008-2010 could miss seeing the design entirely, with Blizzard doing shows and cons. If your doing an MMO in that time period, you should have been paying attention to Blizzard anyways, given that WoW is one of the top in the US.