Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Tactical Assault cruiser(?)
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, first, i'll introduce myself, since i'm pretty new to Star Trek Online. Name is Ispaur, nice to meet you all!

Now, I'm not so new that i'm that one dummy running around with 8 phaser beam arrays on his assault cruiser.

"Captain... we DO have 8 phaser beam arrays... The MK IX standard phasers we bought at the shipyard, remember?" -Bridge officer

Er... yeah... somehow I felt that an 8 beam broadside would do more damage than turning around, firing a high-yield torpedo, then turning back around for a broadside, when in that amount of time I could have fired everything twice.

Naturally, since i'm new, energy credits are not that easy to get for me. However, by some miracle, I have been able to not only hold my own in fleet actions such as Starbase 24 and win 2nd/1st place most of the time, but also survive a Special Task Force mission.

Currently, I am a level 45 Tactical Officer. I have, so far, used only Cruisers in my career, because I figured that they are the ones that deal the most damage, which i thought was suited for a Tactical Officer. I've always loved large ships, and the Sovereign's design is just beautiful, which made me stay on the "Path of the Cruiser." It was when I was halfway through my Commander rank that I learned that Escorts are meant for Tactical Officers, not Cruisers. Regardless, I continued using Cruisers until I got to admiral, where I purchased a Prometheus and Sovereign. I tried the Prometheus out, against my will (mainly because I went from using big ships to a tiny escort) and noticed that I could deal 700+ damage with dual cannons WITHOUT damage buffs, beating my cruiser's measly 500 damage.

The issue is that I have a hard time effectively using the Prometheus. I'm used to broadsiding my targets so much that at times i forget to face them to fire the cannons (or they just don't fire at all.)

I understand that if I want to maximize the effectiveness of my Tactical Captain, i'm gonna have to learn the ropes on how to use an Escort and what to equip it with, but my true passion is the Cruiser, and I don't really feel like deleting/purchasing characters to make an engineer, because one character is honestly enough (that and it took me a while to get to Admiral, plus I have amazing ground abilities.)


So, my question is: What would be the best loadout to have on my Assault Cruiser to maximize it's effectiveness in terms of damage output and its ability to survive?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=251422

I've heard good things about that build, and it was highly recommended when I, too, had asked about Assault Cruiser builds.

Now, I just need to figure out if the Fleet Escort or the Assault Cruiser is better at getting in close while dealing out tons of damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traven158 View Post
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=251422

I've heard good things about that build, and it was highly recommended when I, too, had asked about Assault Cruiser builds.

Now, I just need to figure out if the Fleet Escort or the Assault Cruiser is better at getting in close while dealing out tons of damage.
This.........
Also, I have heard that if all you do is PvE, then you can put 7 beams on your escort with BFAW, and other things so you do a lot of DPS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
On a side note here I'd like to purchase a cruiser or other 'large' ship that has the maximum number of tactical slots that can be crammed into it.

So far what interests me are the Excelsior (With its Lt. Cdr Tac slot) and the Nebula (Lt. Tac and Lt. Universal).

Tactical Odyssey aside, is having the extra tac slots worthwhile for more torpedo / cannon / FAW spam?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-03-2012, 05:56 AM
3 phaser beam arrays fore, 1 quantum torpedo fore.
3 phaser beam arrays aft, 1 quantum torpedo aft.

That way you don't have to worry about turning. Your fore and aft facings can launch a torp once shields are down. And your broadside is strong and powerful. Turning becomes a non-issue with that weapons setup. You fly at your own pace. It's simple, elegant and easy.

No messing around with dual beam banks or cannons or turrets. Just 6 beam arrays and 2 torpedoes.

@carmenara: The Nebula only has 6 weapon slots total. And it turns slow. If you want to fly a science ship fly the Intrepid retrofit. It works better than the Nebula at doing what that type of ship is designed to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
3 phaser beam arrays fore, 1 quantum torpedo fore.
3 phaser beam arrays aft, 1 quantum torpedo aft.

That way you don't have to worry about turning. Your fore and aft facings can launch a torp once shields are down. And your broadside is strong and powerful. Turning becomes a non-issue with that weapons setup. You fly at your own pace. It's simple, elegant and easy.

No messing around with dual beam banks or cannons or turrets. Just 6 beam arrays and 2 torpedoes.

@carmenara: The Nebula only has 6 weapon slots total. And it turns slow. If you want to fly a science ship fly the Intrepid retrofit. It works better than the Nebula at doing what that type of ship is designed to do.
The Nebula doesn't turn too badly. It's been buffed a couple of times since it was released, IIRC the last time I used one a couple of weeks back it was hitting 18 degrees/ second with an RCS (Mk XI Rare) and 16 without. I can check later but it's definitely much more maneuverable than a Cruiser is and shouldn't have any trouble getting its nose where it's needed for forward firing abilities.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
The Nebula doesn't turn too badly. It's been buffed a couple of times since it was released, IIRC the last time I used one a couple of weeks back it was hitting 18 degrees/ second with an RCS (Mk XI Rare) and 16 without. I can check later but it's definitely much more maneuverable than a Cruiser is and shouldn't have any trouble getting its nose where it's needed for forward firing abilities.
The Intrepid turns better. And has a better console/special power. And has the same weapons capabilities. If you want to fly a ship like a cruiser, fly an actual cruiser. You have more weapons, and do better damage. If you want to fly a science ship, fly an actual science ship. You have more science capability and you turn better.

The Nebula just doesn't cut it as either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-03-2012, 08:04 AM
The Nebula's a beast as a hybrid Cruiser/ Sci CC boat. The combination of (now less effective anyway) Sci abilities plus an LTC Eng like EWP makes it a potent ship if it's used to its strengths. It's not a Science ship like the Intrepid so whether the Intrepid has a 'better' console power is irrelevant; they do different things with a different aim.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
The Nebula's a beast as a hybrid Cruiser/ Sci CC boat. The combination of (now less effective anyway) Sci abilities plus an LTC Eng like EWP makes it a potent ship if it's used to its strengths. It's not a Science ship like the Intrepid so whether the Intrepid has a 'better' console power is irrelevant; they do different things with a different aim.
But that's just it. There's no use for that niche. If you want a cruiser, fly a cruiser. If you want a science ship, fly a science ship. The hybrid role that the Nebula is beastly at ... has no effective niche in this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
On a side note here I'd like to purchase a cruiser or other 'large' ship that has the maximum number of tactical slots that can be crammed into it.

So far what interests me are the Excelsior (With its Lt. Cdr Tac slot) and the Nebula (Lt. Tac and Lt. Universal).

Tactical Odyssey aside, is having the extra tac slots worthwhile for more torpedo / cannon / FAW spam?
First a Disclaimer, I am talking from the point of view of simple DPS. Popping Alpha, Rapid Fire, Omega Pattern and Tac Team with a DHC loadout is simple DPS. And having enough copies of said powers to keep a near 100% rotation is Escort territory.

So in my opinion generally no, the Excelsior or the Dreadnought are your best bets for DPS and the Excelsior not so much. No cruiser has the amount of BOFF powers to make it compete with a Escort for DPS output. So you need to be smarter.

The Dreadnought can mount DHC's has 3 Tac BOFF powers, optional cloaking device and a Spinal Lance Phaser. It has a slow turn speed but it was in an episode of TNG.

The Excelsior is a classic design, but despite it's speed your really swapping the slots to get either a BO3 or HY3 to max damage. To be honest I don't rank the Excelsior much better than the Assault Cruiser.

And the Nebula, that's a Sci vessel with the size and shape of a cruiser it's got 6 weapons and few Tac consoles. At best it's a Sci/Cruiser Hybrid.

That being said any Captain can use any ship successfully in Solo PVE. It's when you start PVP and STF that you need to make sure your doing eveything possible can to be the best so as not to drag down the team.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 PM.