Lt. Commander
# 11
04-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Or at least i think you should always have a minimum of one Boff available to you when you do a mission. That solo mission in the last FE was a pain on my science officer. And there would have been no way my chief of security would have let his captain, or admiral in this case go out in such a dangerous location without backup.

I did hear the Dstahl regrets putting in Boffs but seriously? the deed is done. dont try to undo it now or people will get pee'd off.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Sounds like a good new game mechanic to first use in the next FE.
Have it that your Captain get's abducted and you switch to playing your XO and go rescue him/her.
Frim then on you can choose which of the 2 to play on away missions, with the exception of story missions where your captain is required.
Generic exploration and patrol missions (the trivial stuff) should work.

And while we are on it. Introduce optional objectives that you can only get if you take certain department heads with you. You have 6 DH but only 4 can come with you at most: instant replay value.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-03-2012, 04:38 AM
On a slightly related note, over the last four months I have made a few alts directly based on some of my Bridge Officers.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torlak
On a slightly related note, over the last four months I have made a few alts directly based on some of my Bridge Officers.
haha... I did the exact opposite. When F2P rolled in I recreated all my Alts as Boffs to concentrate on my main and still see my other characters from time to time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-03-2012, 06:02 AM
I always thought that in the tutorial right after we get assigned our first ship as a lieutenant we should get a first officer assigned to us. It'd pop up with a screen like the create a character screen letting us chose their career type and their abilities like we do when creating our captain. Not only would it make it alittle more like the Next gen where captains remain on the bridge while our First officers do away missions, but with it you could effectively have one role in space and one role on ground (tac in space fighting in your defiant while science on ground healing your away team). Think it make the game alittle more interesting. Could even make missions where the First officer is captured and the captain has to beam down or the Captain is captured and you have to beam up and take over the ship as your First officers career path.

I saying add this as a new permanent low level FE that you do and have it tie into how Starfleet had drifted away from the rule but now with all the increased fighting they are reinstating it effective immediately.

Edit: I will also add though its not really directly to do with this topic but I've Always thought that there should be two sets of Boffs you fill one for space and one for away team. Doesn't really go hand in hand with the show but think it makes more sense to have it set up where you have atleast 6 open spots of Boffs for ground and when you get your officers you assign them to the away team spots instead of the current spots I'd reassign to be space Boffs. That waay you could have missions that seemed alittle more dramatic where your away team with the first officer is stuck on ground while your up in space fighting you dont have abilities from your away team boffs that also have ship boff assignments missing while your fighting in space.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-03-2012, 06:40 AM
I like it, but it'd probably get very complicated very quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricO
I did hear the Dstahl regrets putting in Boffs but seriously? the deed is done. dont try to undo it now or people will get pee'd off.
Wow, I hope that was a mistaken impression from somebody. Boffs are one of the most fun parts of the game and was a huge selling point for me and my family. It's telling that Boff slots are among the best selling items on the store.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Sounds like a good new game mechanic to first use in the next FE.
Have it that your Captain get's abducted and you switch to playing your XO and go rescue him/her.
Frim then on you can choose which of the 2 to play on away missions, with the exception of story missions where your captain is required.
Generic exploration and patrol missions (the trivial stuff) should work.

And while we are on it. Introduce optional objectives that you can only get if you take certain department heads with you. You have 6 DH but only 4 can come with you at most: instant replay value.
I proposed that sort of thing months ago. Another interesting aspect would be one segment of a mission that is played by the Captain. And another segment which is taking place "simultaneously" is played by the First Officer. And if Cryptic ever get's some true branching mission tech. Actions on the Captain mission segment could influence what happens in the First Officer segment.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Im perfectly contend to do Away Teams Kirk-style, meaning I want to shoot people myself... surrounded by armed lunatics a.k.a. my BOffs.

Although I have no objections to a system that would allow us to play someone else on missions.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Wow, I hope that was a mistaken impression from somebody. Boffs are one of the most fun parts of the game and was a huge selling point for me and my family. It's telling that Boff slots are among the best selling items on the store.
I believe it was in one of the Interviews he did on the podcast STOked. Cant for the life of me remember wich one though.