Lt. Commander
# 21
04-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I would play as my first officer if they were able to do something different from the Captain.
But, doing the same thing with just a different officer...? and the point of be able to do that is...?
meh...
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
I would play as my first officer if they were able to do something different from the Captain.
But, doing the same thing with just a different officer...? and the point of be able to do that is...?
meh...
Well, say you have a Tactical Commander and your XO is a Science guy, you get to play a whole different set of powers for one....
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
It wold be nice to send a number one, my Vice Admiral should not be bothered slaving in some Feraingi's Dilithium Mine.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfcamp67 View Post
Well, say you have a Tactical Commander and your XO is a Science guy, you get to play a whole different set of powers for one....
Um, well..I guess that would work for someone with just one guy who didn't want to take the time to level another...
I have 7, from 4 different species...if I want to use another set of skills/powers, I've already got a Captain from each of the classes...on each side...
So...again...it's nothing different.
I'm really not trying to beat ya down on this...I just don't see what would make playing your First officer, or any Bridge officer, any different or more fun than playing any of your "regular" characters.
Now, if by doing so I could do a mission or 2 that I couldn't do with any other character, well, that might be cool.
But, other than that, it seems like a waste of resources to develop such a ability when the only thing you can do is the same thing you can already do.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Riker's a Captain now. I'm sure he leads his own away missions.

I dunno. I think he was just using regulations to lead away missions.

And captains tend to ignore regulations pretty freely in Star Trek if they want to.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm really not sure of the point of this thread. Archer led his teams, Kirk led his teams, Sisko (when not reassigned to Earth) usually led his teams. Janeway and Picard did so less often, but I'd imagine Janeway still managed to get in at least 1/4 of the away-team missions. Outside of Picard most of Trek is about the Captain doing things rather then the First Officer.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'm really not sure of the point of this thread. Archer led his teams, Kirk led his teams, Sisko (when not reassigned to Earth) usually led his teams. Janeway and Picard did so less often, but I'd imagine Janeway still managed to get in at least 1/4 of the away-team missions. Outside of Picard most of Trek is about the Captain doing things rather then the First Officer.
I had a nice conversation with somebody at Cryptic (who wasn't on the launch team) and he said he always envisioned STO as being a game where each player plays the full crew. I thought it was an interesting idea.

Perpetual's idea of each person being a member of the crew would have probably resulted in a much better ground game but an even worse space game than TOR.

Cryptic's idea of each player being the Captain IS an improvement over that IMHO but I am intrigued by the idea that we could, instead, treat each crew member as an alt instead of pets.

I think it might hurt identification with our alts.

However, I also think one reason why people here have so few alts is tied to the computationally expensive data retrieval associated with all the ships and bridge officers we own and that it might have been really interesting if the game had been designed around the idea that, say, all of our alts make up a crew.

Think of it this way:

You could log into any of your bridge officers and play as them, using your other BOs as pets. And you could swap them out at checkpoints like in A Final Unity. Something like that.

Could have been interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Personally I see it as a chance to kinda change up things with your characters and make it so you have more choices. Say you really hate Engineer in space but love the prof in ground game. This way you could have that Engineer as your ground character and chose one of the other two profs as your captain in charge of your ship and fighting up there. Though as a bonus to make this system I'd add in a feature for Stf's where as you can choose to beam down as which ever or even at the start you chose who you want in charge of the ship/ground stf. Say you have a Tac and a Science and you start cure and everyone else is a Tac also this would give you the chance to switch to your First officer/captain and go with science to provide a more balanced group.

Also with this they could do more interesting story modes like a story line where your Captain is fighting off the borg in space and your FOFF/XO is fighting some on the ground. Granted you control both and they wouldnt really be happening at the same time but the story could protray it that way. Don't know but there is alot of cool new stuff they could add in and do with two playable characters per slot. Could even make it so you could combine your already grinded characters so your Tac your not using as much could be your science officers new Foff/XO.

Though i fully admit I like the idea cause I love Engineer ground combat but dont enjoy the space combat as much with him.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthconnor View Post
Personally I see it as a chance to kinda change up things with your characters and make it so you have more choices. Say you really hate Engineer in space but love the prof in ground game. This way you could have that Engineer as your ground character and chose one of the other two profs as your captain in charge of your ship and fighting up there. Though as a bonus to make this system I'd add in a feature for Stf's where as you can choose to beam down as which ever or even at the start you chose who you want in charge of the ship/ground stf. Say you have a Tac and a Science and you start cure and everyone else is a Tac also this would give you the chance to switch to your First officer/captain and go with science to provide a more balanced group.

Also with this they could do more interesting story modes like a story line where your Captain is fighting off the borg in space and your FOFF/XO is fighting some on the ground. Granted you control both and they wouldnt really be happening at the same time but the story could protray it that way. Don't know but there is alot of cool new stuff they could add in and do with two playable characters per slot. Could even make it so you could combine your already grinded characters so your Tac your not using as much could be your science officers new Foff/XO.

Though i fully admit I like the idea cause I love Engineer ground combat but dont enjoy the space combat as much with him.
amen to that my brother
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfcamp67 View Post
amen to that my brother
Thanks you

Though after talking to some friends and hearing their concerns I'll put in the bad part is you could get two out of three of the career accolades. Though you'd still be missing one. After talking to them they did say that getting these would be alot easier but running with two others to get them would also be a ton easier, as it is now there are atleast from what I and others have noticed a ton more tacs followed by engineers and then science. I'd like to point out groups for these would go alot faster with this as instead of calling out "Tac looking for science and Engineer for accolade in new FE series" it could be "Tac/Engineer looking for Science and someone with Tac or engineer to do new Fe series accolades". Which I think would make these run alot faster.

Also for those that like playing One career path and saying I don't care to much either way I'm prefectly happy as it is now (as a friend told me). I'd suggest that when doing away missions to add a 5th slot up top when it brings up the are you sure 4 member away team display. This 5th selection would allow you to take your new Xo/Foff or remain with your captain taking him. That way it doesn't change for those that like having the same guy doing both jobs and allows them more freedom to chose another career for their second officer instead of picking the same so they can keep the same kind of game play. But even the ones that said this admitted that it would be nice every few missions to not have to switch characters just to get alittle different gameplay.

Downside is dev time to do this. Upside is alot more choices, more different gameplay options, and new and mission types/story lines that today would be impossible to do.