Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
These posts have by far done more to prove my point than anything else. Listen, I get the defensive positioning here since you're the author of the spreadsheet. At the end of the day there's no good reason for this system to be as complicated as it is and many of you agree that the documentation here is sorely lacking.
It's not defensive positioning on his part. At least, that's not how I interpret it. I look at it as an author of community driven documentation project explaining his motives for why he and others chose to provide it. You're, as the Borg Queen would say, implying disparity where none exists (or, perhaps more accurately, creating it).

The 'good' reason for the system to be as complex as it is ... is LARGELY spelled out in the DOFF sticky created by Heretic in this very forum. Check it out. The goal is exactly for it to require some searching through the cosmos to find missions. (Many of which I found on my own WITHOUT a spreadsheet or poking around the DOFFJobs channel {a channel I have yet to join}).

Just like other MMOs out there, this one has community driven documentation. You seem to be adverse to this. I am not sure exactly why. But, they are driven by what the players believe the documentation should look like. Those who don't want or need the documentation in game are not affected by it. Those who want it have it where they can reach it. It is the epitome of choice. What you're proposing not only takes away from the complexity of those who self-discover but forces their hand on playstyle. Why on Earth would you want that?

You're asking for input, from Heretic and Falling Sky, on design intent when that information is already in this forum. You want documentation, perhaps you should try reading what was provided first?
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
You're asking for input, from Heretic and Falling Sky, on design intent when that information is already in this forum. You want documentation, perhaps you should try reading what was provided first?
I can hear it now......

But, but, but.. that would mean I actually have to take the initiative and do "work"...

Something it seems many people (not just in STO but in real life too) are opposed to. (but that's just my observations)
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
I can hear it now......

But, but, but.. that would mean I actually have to take the initiative and do "work"...
I realize the sarcasm inherent in your thought process. I'm hoping that's not where he's really going on this. I really am.

I know how this works in technology in general: Folks complain there's not enough documentation, the documentation is too confusing, there's too much documentation, or they don't know how to find said documentation. What this really boils down to is: "I don't want to read the documentation" in all cases except the first (usually - though, sometimes it is a question of someone not reading it and claiming there isn't any).

There is a certain amount of onus on the player to inform themselves about a product or feature they want to use - by referencing existing 'official' material. Heretic goes into quite a bit of detail on design intent as well as functionality in the thread. While I still have a couple of 'logistical' questions, none of it is in regards to how it is intended to work, or how the system itself actually works.

Reading that thread is a very large amount of information. That said, it is also generally useful. And, bears some amount of attention before declaring that documentation, intent, and information insufficient.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBANG View Post
A Casual STF player will never get his hands on the Mk XII Maco armor, and a casual DOffer will never get his hands on all of the Purple DOffs from the Colonial Chains.
Actually, they will.

The problem with the DOff System is not its complexity, or that you have to resort to metagaming to find the best goodies. It just lacks accessability in some aspects.
Completing assignment chains shouldn't be restricted to hardcore gamers. I see no reason why, for example, the assignment chain tab couldn't specify if the next step in the chain is accessable as a personal, current sector or shipboard assignment. This split is the root of a lot of confusion, and although it makes sense, I'd welcome a search function that lets us filter assignments from all sources based on our criteria (show all medical assignments, show all assignments with dilithium rewards, etc).
Displaying critical rewards wouldn't hurt either to let casual players make an informed decision. If you want to keep such knowledge from new players, there is no reason to stop there. You could use the same argument to remove most information from the UI.