Lt. Commander
Hey, guys.

I've accumulated enough Boffs that my candidate list is full. Now I have to sell them off and I want to make sure I get a fair price for them but it seems to me that the bottom has dropped out of the Boff market and blue ones are selling for 1000 EC or less nowadays.

How do I know if a Boff is valuable? What do I look for?

Thanks in advance.

Peet
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Well the only BOFFs I buy are either efficient or have a skill that is only trainable by another BOFF (and not my current Captain), like vascular regenerator III or battle strategies III.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi3th
Hey, guys.

I've accumulated enough Boffs that my candidate list is full. Now I have to sell them off and I want to make sure I get a fair price for them but it seems to me that the bottom has dropped out of the Boff market and blue ones are selling for 1000 EC or less nowadays.

Thanks in advance.

Peet
Definitely look at skills that only BOffs can teach each other. STOwiki has a great entry on this:

http://www.stowiki.org/Bridge_officer_powers

Look for skills that are marked in purple. These are abilities that can only be obtained from a Bridge Officer. You can ordinarily start at 100,000 energy credits for these BOffs, but again, do a search of other BOffs and make sure you are pricing your ability competitively.

For what it's worth, Torpedo Spread III seems to be insanely expensive.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Can you search Boffs by abilities?

Also, what about the racial traits? Do these make them more valuable (aside from efficient)? I've noticed the Purple Boffs seem to have two "Superior" traits, and blue ones have one such trait. Are there combos that people look for?

BTW, the Jem'Hadar Boff that I got for completing the DS9 series came with Torp Spread III. Nice! Cheapest I've seen that ability go for was 500,000.

Peet
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2012, 02:40 AM
AFAIK, the only way you can minimize your search for Boffs is by utilizing the "Any" to "Very Rare" dropdown. It'd be nice to be able to search by traits, but I think this is all we have ATM.

*Edit
Gratz on the Jem'Hadar, BTW.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
... it seems to me that the bottom has dropped out of the Boff market and blue ones are selling for 1000 EC or less nowadays.
Because they are worthless.

The only thing that rare and very rare does is the superior version of traits but as the system is utter random you often get traits utter unsuitable for their classes, I ditched every single one I got and just got whites because at least their traits were suitable.

Yes, there is the "exclusive" training skills ... but that is about it and if I recall, they are not really that affected by the rarity system and the only think that gives them worth, not traits.

Edit:
And yes, that BOFF reward killed the BOFF TS III skill sales ... sold one for 1-2 millions before that mission come out, now nobody will buy them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Yes, there is the "exclusive" training skills ... but that is about it and if I recall, they are not really that affected by the rarity system and the only think that gives them worth, not traits.
Actually, they ARE affected by rarity. You will not find Beam Overload 3 on a white or green BO. Skills like Aux to SIF 3 will only come on a purple BO. The general rule of thumb is that level 3 skills can come on blue or purple BOs if it is a LtCmdr skill. So, BO 3, Torp spread 3, Transfer shield 3, etc can come on either blue or purple rarity BOs. If the level 3 skill is a commander skill, like Aux to SIF 3 or RSP 3, the BO will generally have to be purple.

As for searching on the exchange, yeah it's a mess. But there are some work arounds that can help you search more efficiently. The key is to search by race, class, and rarity. So if you are looking for Aux to SIF 3 on a Federation BO, type into the search "Vulcan engineer", and filter for Very Rare. This will filter out all the KDF BOs, tactical and science BOs. If you don't find one, search again, this time for "Human Engineer". Repeat for all the races for Feds. It's not perfect, but it's still faster and less eye-numbing than looking through all the BOs on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Hey, guys.

Thanks in advance.

Peet
If the BOff has transfer shield strength 3, torpedo spread 3 (not worth what it once was, due to the 2800 mission reward), beam overload 3, aux to SIF 3, the efficient trait, or is an Orion female they're worth money, otherwise they're essentially interchangeable.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
How much is Beam Overload 3 worth? I think I have that and don't need it.

Thanks,

Peet
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
It's not worth as much as the other hard to find abilities, but you'll have to search the exchange and see what others are selling it for.