Lt. Commander
# 11
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi3th
How much is Beam Overload 3 worth? I think I have that and don't need it.

Thanks,

Peet
Search the exchange for current market value. Last I checked that specific one (which is about a month ago), it was going for around 2 million.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty
If the BOff has transfer shield strength 3, torpedo spread 3 (not worth what it once was, due to the 2800 mission reward), beam overload 3, aux to SIF 3, the efficient trait, or is an Orion female they're worth money, otherwise they're essentially interchangeable.
Also, consider training your Boff before selling him off. You could make a pretty penny off of me if you train your boffs before you sell them, getting rid of common abilities for rarer ones that you can train them for free.

I've spent the last three days looking for boffs trained in "Jam Sensors 3" or "FAW 3" because they're captain-trainable abilities only. As I don't have any Science Captains and my Tac captain is still low level, I have to try to find another captain in my fleet willing to train boffs for me, patiently check the exchange, or do without.

Help a brother out - don't send these boffs out into the world without some training!
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgig00 View Post
Also, consider training your Boff before selling him off. You could make a pretty penny off of me if you train your boffs before you sell them, getting rid of common abilities for rarer ones that you can train them for free.

I've spent the last three days looking for boffs trained in "Jam Sensors 3" or "FAW 3" because they're captain-trainable abilities only. As I don't have any Science Captains and my Tac captain is still low level, I have to try to find another captain in my fleet willing to train boffs for me, patiently check the exchange, or do without.

Help a brother out - don't send these boffs out into the world without some training!
You cannot sell a "trained" boff, at least not on the exchange. You can only list uncomissioned BOffs on the exchange. In order to train one, you have to commission him/her onto your active crew. Once you do this, this BO can no longer be placed on the exchange. That's why you won't find any BOs with FAW3 on the exchange. The only way to get FAW 3 for yourself is to have a friend train one for you. Commissioned BOs can still be traded directly between players (with a few exceptions).
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Once you do this, this BO can no longer be placed on the exchange. That's why you won't find any BOs with FAW3 on the exchange.
Oo

STOWiki says that Tractor Beam 3 is a captain-trainable-only ability, and I know I can find those on the exchange pretty easily. I assumed that the same was true for FAW3 and other captain-trained abilities for boffs.

Sorry for the mistake, and thanks for saving me a few more hours staring at page after page of boffs on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgig00 View Post
Oo

STOWiki says that Tractor Beam 3 is a captain-trainable-only ability, and I know I can find those on the exchange pretty easily. I assumed that the same was true for FAW3 and other captain-trained abilities for boffs.

Sorry for the mistake, and thanks for saving me a few more hours staring at page after page of boffs on the exchange.
There may be a few skills that are both trainable and appear randomly on boffs. Attack pattern omega 3 comes to mind. But most trainable skills do not appear randomly on boffs. And once the skilled is "trained", the boff cannot be put on the exchange. You can trade it, but you can't list it on the exchange. I have never seen FAW 3 on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Actually, they ARE affected by rarity. You will not find Beam Overload 3 on a white or green BO. Skills like Aux to SIF 3 will only come on a purple BO. The general rule of thumb is that level 3 skills can come on blue or purple BOs if it is a LtCmdr skill. So, BO 3, Torp spread 3, Transfer shield 3, etc can come on either blue or purple rarity BOs. If the level 3 skill is a commander skill, like Aux to SIF 3 or RSP 3, the BO will generally have to be purple.

As for searching on the exchange, yeah it's a mess. But there are some work arounds that can help you search more efficiently. The key is to search by race, class, and rarity. So if you are looking for Aux to SIF 3 on a Federation BO, type into the search "Vulcan engineer", and filter for Very Rare. This will filter out all the KDF BOs, tactical and science BOs. If you don't find one, search again, this time for "Human Engineer". Repeat for all the races for Feds. It's not perfect, but it's still faster and less eye-numbing than looking through all the BOs on the exchange.
I wish they would just add something like "UFP" and "KDF" to the names of all BOFFs, so you could at least weed the opposite faction BOFFs out while searching.

Yes, you can do it race by race, but I want to be able to sift through all available Fed or KDF BOFFs sometimes.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
I wish they would just add something like "UFP" and "KDF" to the names of all BOFFs, so you could at least weed the opposite faction BOFFs out while searching.

Yes, you can do it race by race, but I want to be able to sift through all available Fed or KDF BOFFs sometimes.
Seconded. It'd be a nice QOL bonus, honestly, as would a number of other fixes to the market.

Or if they'd just make UFP and KDF officer tabs. They clearly don't have an issue breaking things down like that, given how the Duty Officers are set up. :U