Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Rappaccini is one of my alts.

The point of showing the screenshot was that I was able to properly complete the chain and get a blue Vorta prisoner as a reward for 5/5 WITHOUT completing the bugged step 4/4.

The fact that additional forensic sweeps is shown in the chain UI is the bug. It should NOT be shown in the chain UI at all.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
Rappaccini is one of my alts.

The point of showing the screenshot was that I was able to properly complete the chain and get a blue Vorta prisoner as a reward for 5/5 WITHOUT completing the bugged step 4/4.

The fact that additional forensic sweeps is shown in the chain UI is the bug. It should NOT be shown in the chain UI at all.
There is a third interpretation to this: that is that we're both right and both wrong. By this, I mean that the state you're indicating may have been the case before (making you correct before, but wrong now) but has been since somewhat fixed or otherwise changed (making me wrong before, but correct now).

The chain is behaving in a more linear fashion and indeed giving credit. It looks like the current state is that the 'of y missions' piece is not updated properly. It should say 4/6 now and the chain assignment progress screen should be updated completely.

From all appearances, this is a change from the behavior you're describing, to the inconsistent state now, to the final end stage it appears to be headed towards.

A fourth possible interpretation is that the mission chain is behaving inconsistently for a number of players and not progressing (or, in some cases, skipping steps) as it should. I'm sure there are at least 1 or 2 more interpretations of this.

Regardless of who is correct or isn't, your assignment screen and mine are incorrectly displaying data. This should have a bug filed against it on your side so Cryptic can determine which is correct and fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Data:
there are six missions coded as part of this chain. even though the chain is labeled as a 5 link chain.

additional forensic sweeps is shown as a part of the chain, but... the only thing you get for completing it is xp. It is not required for being able to do the "Bribe Locals" step of the chain. Or for "Raid Safehouse".

If you look closely, Perform Additional Forensic Sweeps of Facility 4028 is nearly identical to Perform Forensic Sweeps of Facility 4028, including the name. This is typically an indication that soemthing is unlocked by completing a chain step.

Hypothesis:
There was a copy pasting error when the chain was programmed and the person doing the copy pasting forgot to remove the chain flag from the "additional" step.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
additional forensic sweeps is shown as a part of the chain, but... the only thing you get for completing it is xp. It is not required for being able to do the "Bribe Locals" step of the chain. Or for "Raid Safehouse".
Indeed. I got credit, however, for completing it and it went towards the chain credit.

There isn't a question of this being bugged. The nature of the bug itself must be determined by Cryptic (presumably Heretic or someone on his team). The UI is reporting more missions in the chain. The 'repeatable' mission, as you put it, concurs with this assessment and awards completion towards the chain.

Quote:
Hypothesis:
There was a copy pasting error when the chain was programmed and the person doing the copy pasting forgot to remove the chain flag from the "additional" step.
Possibly. And possibly not. The mission is awarding credit towards the chain. The chain UI is also flagging this, but the series is only counting n-1 of the missions.

The problem is neither you nor I (or any other player) can say what the actual configuration is supposed to be. We do not have design authority nor is design intent clearly spelled out. That is something only a Cryptic dev can assess, correct, and explain. At the moment, all we can say for certain is that either the UI is bugged and/or the mission chain is bugged.

And again, FILE A BUG.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
Possibly. And possibly not. The mission is awarding credit towards the chain. The chain UI is also flagging this, but the series is only counting n-1 of the missions.
Did you? Did completing "additional" unlock another step? "Perform Forensic sweeps", unlocks BOTH "Bribe Locals" and "Additional Forensic sweeps". As I've demonstrated you can do Bribe Locals and raid safehouse without Additional, does additional let you skip bribe locals?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Did you? Did completing "additional" unlock another step? "Perform Forensic sweeps", unlocks BOTH "Bribe Locals" and "Additional Forensic sweeps". As I've demonstrated you can do Bribe Locals and raid safehouse without Additional, does additional let you skip bribe locals?
I don't know yet. The assignment (#4/6) completed at a little after midnight local time. I went to bed. Then immediately went to work (and still there). When I get home tonight, I'll see what's available. (There's evidence in the DOFF Spreadsheet that suggests that completing this step actually breaks being able to go forward in the chain! Which would put the bug count at 4 on this chain.)

If the 4/6 ends up breaking the assignment chain, I'll create another bug report toward that end. But, at the moment, it shows as having given assignment chain credit. Did you look at the screenshots?

Edit to add: Did you file a bug yet?
Edit 2 to add: Completing step 4/6 (the one at the start of this thread) allowed me to then start the next step at ESD for Bribing local officials (5/6). Also, the DOFF spreadsheet is updated by its authors, incidentally, in that it agrees with me on this being a valid step in the sequence - suggesting this is the current state.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I completed the chain without doing the "Additional Sweep (4/4)" assignment. The chain only has 5 assignments.

The bug is with how this repeatable assignment is flagged in the database and it shows up in 3 places - it should not be identified as "(4/4)", it should not be included in the list of assignments for the chain, and the chain should state that there are 5 assignments, not 6.

The note in DOFFJOBS reads: "Must NOT be done to complete the chain!" That is simply a poor choice of phrasing. It should instead read: "Is NOT required to complete the chain."
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael
I completed the chain without doing the "Additional Sweep (4/4)" assignment. The chain only has 5 assignments.

The bug is with how this repeatable assignment is flagged in the database and it shows up in 3 places - it should not be identified as "(4/4)", it should not be included in the list of assignments for the chain, and the chain should state that there are 5 assignments, not 6.
That might be how it behaved for you. It did not behave that way for me at all. (With the aforementioned screenshots in this thread as evidence.) Only after completing 4/4 (4/6) did this allow me to advance to stage 5/6 (which is in progress - with another 7.5 hours remaining).
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Um.... is it possible that you just didn't find the 4/5 mission until after you did 4/4? IIRC availability of the missions is random.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Um.... is it possible that you just didn't find the 4/5 mission until after you did 4/4? IIRC availability of the missions is random.
No. I visit Earth every day on all of my toons for various reasons. I would check availability for assignments as soon as they were up (every 4 hours while I was awake). Short answer: no. Long answer: No.