Lt. Commander
# 1 How would you like it?
03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
There is this thing called a pvp arena, where we (pvp'ers) can queue up and shoot our little hearts out at each other. It's something that alot of pvp'ers like to do an a regular basis. You might even say that it is my/our equivalent of pve missions (we don't get alot of love, ok). Now what really ruins the day of a pvp'er is an increasing phenomenon which consosts of an afk'er at the spawn to the map. The rogue afk'er does this for the sole purpose of farming dilithium in the way in which he can get away with doing least work.
This is a disgraceful behaviour, in utter disregard for the enjoyment of the 9 other people whose game that they are utterly ruining. It ruins the day of the people whose team they spawned on, and it runis the day of the opposing team who entered the queue hoping for a good fight, only to be now facing an outnumbered enemy.

So, to all afk'ers.
Next time you think 'Hey! I can just afk this arena wrapper mission for some dilithiumn!' Spare a thought for the people in this game who actually want to pvp and what you are doing to their enjoyment. Like I say, you wouldn't like it if I could enter your mission instance and mess up your game.
If you really really want the arena mission, then have the courtesy to al least look like you are trying to
do something. Yes, you might be not verty good at pvp, but at least it's something (heck, you might even find you enjoy it. You might ask for some pointers from a mopre experienced pvp'er and make yourself better thereby increasing yoiur enjoyment even more!)

To the devs.
We need some sort of a solution here. And no, I don't mean like the 'solution' you found for kerrat (that 'solution' (making the mission a daily) is what is causing these afk'ers to migrate to arenas). My proposal would be to either give us an option to vote to kick the afk'er who then would get no credit for the match (leaves the door too wide open for abuse), or put kerrat mission back to how it was. I think this is the better solution for the pvp'ers, yes the afk'ers will still afk for the mission, but they will do it in kerrat, where nobody is really iterested in a fair fight anyway, as opposed to an arena, where that is exactly what people are after.

P.S. Any further comments or constructive criticisms/potential solutions would be appreciated.
P.P.S. As woud a dev response/acknowledgement of the issue :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
to be honest there should be built in requirements to prevent AFKers

1: If they do know dmg or healing by the end it does NOT count as completed(for wrapper purposes)

2: If they do not press a key for longer than 3 minutes they are ejected from the map.

or something else like this. I am sure its within the coders capabilitys to add some mechanic to prevent it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
to be honest there should be built in requirements to prevent AFKers

1: If they do know dmg or healing by the end it does NOT count as completed(for wrapper purposes)

2: If they do not press a key for longer than 3 minutes they are ejected from the map.

or something else like this. I am sure its within the coders capabilitys to add some mechanic to prevent it.
There are games that have been trying to fight the AFK issue for 5 years or more... they're still losing that fight.

It's a shame, it's annoying... hey, now I've gone for a smoke in Ker'rat - but Ker'rat is a world of difference to an actual Arena/Capture and Hold scenario.

The behavior of certain players will force others to pre-form PUGs, join fleets, etc - in the hopes that if they go in with a group - then at least they can count on that group not being AFK.

Then again, the behavior of certain players will sometimes lead to the forming of AFK groups.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
So, to all pve'ers.
Next time you think 'Hey! I can just afk this arena wrapper mission for some dilithiumn!' Spare a thought for the people in this game who actually want to pvp and what you are doing to their enjoyment. Like I say, you wouldn't like it if I could enter your pve mission instance and kill you.
These people AFK in STFs too and ruin PvEers fun there. So at least whatever brand of gimp these people are, they grief both of us, PvP and PvE alike.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
I'd like to know how you know its only PVE'rs I'm sure the PVP crowd would NEVER EVER AFK for any reason at all.

Don't Generalize.

The AFK problem sucks, yes, but but making that Generalization all your doing is add fuel to a fire we just don't need.
They need an AFK report system. Badly. But then they also need a much better way to ear DIL too.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
I'd like to know how you know its only PVE'rs I'm sure the PVP crowd would NEVER EVER AFK for any reason at all.

Don't Generalize.

The AFK problem sucks, yes, but but making that Generalization all your doing is add fuel to a fire we just don't need.
They need an AFK report system. Badly. But then they also need a much better way to ear DIL too.
Not a single pvp'er worth the title is going to afk farm an arena and ruin his reputation in such a small, tight-knit community for dil when in the same amount of time he can challenge others, learn and improve his pvp skills and go pew pew. No pvp fleet would have him nor tolerate it from a member without repercussions. it's not a generalization, it's a simple fact.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:

Don't Generalize.
In a pvp arena?
I am 99.99% confident that these are pve'ers, lol. pvp'ers don't queue up to do nothing.

I recognise that the same breed grief stf etc in the same way, but not all pve'ers are the same. Sort of a not all pve'ers are afk'ers, but all afk'ers (in a pvp arena) are pve'ers. You get me?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespya
Not a single pvp'er worth the title is going to afk farm an arena and ruin his reputation in such a small, tight-knit community for dil when in the same amount of time he can challenge others, learn and improve his pvp skills and go pew pew. No pvp fleet would have him nor tolerate it from a member without repercussions. it's not a generalization, it's a simple fact.
right, so of course all PVP folks are perfect and its only PVE and you wonder why the PVP crowd gets a bad rap all the time? Personally, I wouldn't do it, I don't condone that behavior from ANYONE, but I can tell you that BOTH SIDES do it.

Don't complain about your rep and how folks view you when it is you that cause it.

Seriously, Address the problem don't create it. The problem is the people FROM ALL TYPE OF GAME PLAY that AFK in the STF's and the PVP matches. Both of which is not cool and should be worked on.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
They need an AFK report system. Badly.
How would you handle people abusing that?

Though I never did it, I always joked about taking one of those Mean People Suck bumperstickers and cutting the Mean part off.

There are always going to be those folks out there trying to get one by or taking pleasure in ruining the pleasure of others unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
right, so of course all PVP folks are perfect and its only PVE and you wonder why the PVP crowd gets a bad rap all the time? Personally, I wouldn't do it, I don't condone that behavior from ANYONE, but I can tell you that BOTH SIDES do it.
There is literally no way a pvp'er would be afking in an arena.

This thread isn't about the stf's, it's about pvp arenas, and in pvp arenas, it's pve'ers that are afking. Now for the third time, that is not to say that all pve'ers afk in an arena.