Lt. Commander
Ok, as soon as I heard there was a KDF mission on Tribble, I logged on to check it out. Something I didn't expect was for the game to run much more smoothly. Is this due to the back-end code being different, or is there something else on Tribble that's causing this apparent performance boost? It felt like the code was demanding less of my PC which is admittedly somewhat venerable, while getting more out of it.

Any answers?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Ok, as soon as I heard there was a KDF mission on Tribble, I logged on to check it out. Something I didn't expect was for the game to run much more smoothly. Is this due to the back-end code being different, or is there something else on Tribble that's causing this apparent performance boost? It felt like the code was demanding less of my PC which is admittedly somewhat venerable, while getting more out of it.

Any answers?
There were a couple graphics updates in this build, but the most likely thing to be different is your preferences. You've got a gameprefs.pref file for each of our servers. What you could do is try copying the one for Tribble into the location for Holodeck (after making a backup or moving it somewhere safe) and see what happens.
(The file is located in <INSTALL PATH>\Playtest\Localdata for Tribble and <INSTALL PATH>\Live\Localdata for Holodeck.)

The other thing is that there are also far fewer players on Tribble at any given time, which will also affect how your machine performs because it doesn't have as many other players to render, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Weirdly that's worked really well, I don't say weirdly because I'm suprised you're right, but because when I tried to run those kind of settings before, my GFX card was having none of it and things got all stuttery. But thanks for the tip!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Weirdly that's worked really well, I don't say weirdly because I'm suprised you're right, but because when I tried to run those kind of settings before, my GFX card was having none of it and things got all stuttery. But thanks for the tip!
Haha so glad to hear it!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Hmm... I noticed much better graphical performance on tribble as well, and all the settings are set higher as well. In fact, on live I use half resolution most of the time because of performance.

I'll have to give it a try with copying over the file as well. Thanks.