The JJ movie universe sucks. All the changes were far fetched and ridiculous.
And, in addition, when making a show it's better to have more lore behind it. The movie universe basically has nothing, whereas the prime universe has hundreds of episodes, as well as 10 movies to draw on.
They'd be making a big mistake if they didn't place the show in the prime universe. I would like to see a rebooted TNG, but I hope it's not a straight rip off. Give us Riker as Captain or something. Let's see how things have changed a couple of decades down the road.
IMO before any reboot happens, then need to make a new show set in the prime verse, and set it right after VOY. That way we can have a few Cameos from the other older shows, and maybe a few of them will stick around to be regulars. But the new show MUST return to exploring and seeking out new life type missions. The other things will come as we go along for the ride, just don't make it heavy on the fighting is all.
I suppose they could merge the timelines and say Data never dies.....Or Q could save the Romulus...
I voyager they sure played with timelines alot........The theater set no matter what, I cant think of any trekkie that wouldnt like to see Picard again, maybe trying to save spock, return the timeline...?
Well any reboot wouldn't use the same actors, but you would get the same characters if that makes since. You would get a recasting of each major role in a new TNG, but with I am sure a new type of look.
1. Different designed Galaxy Enterprise
2. New actors in the beloved roles of the crew, (Mind up season one had far more people, before it was scaled back a bit.)
3. New story;ines - (This is why I figured it would take place in the new timeline vs the old one. This in turn chould open the door to the Prime Universe, as people from it could be moved from it. Events after the Romulan event, could have old cast people being moved into the new timeline, just depends on the storyline being used. )
4. A revisit of all the Factions within the TNG timeline, now that we have a better idea who they are, maybe better stories can be told with them. (Remember it took time to flesh out the Ferengi to what they are now, can you picture a reboot with them as a main player?)
5. Maybe they would lose the Q angle as it is now, or maybe not but the Q would get a reworking in any reboot.
6. Then you have the BORG, what would they look like with any reboot?
I am not against any reboot as long as it's done right.
If its a REBOOT it couldnt be set in the "prime verse", thats prety much the nature of a reboot.
And a reboot couldnt be set in the JJ verse, wich, I agree, sucks, either, since that JJ movie wasnt a reboot since its directly conectet to the "prime verse".... you could even say erased the prime verse.
I actually dont see a point in a TNG reboot to be honest. They either have to copy the orgininals, wich limits the way the storys and characters can go, or do it the BSG-way and... prety much do nothing but using die original names.... and there they simply could make a new series with entirely new chatacers in the first place.
A TNG set in JJ-verse could still draw from everything pre-JJ-Trek. It still is the same universe, with the change of Nero showing up, Kirk growing up without a father and the Ent-Nil being a Hotrodeprise. But as far as we know there still are Ferengi, there still is a Bajor and Prophets in the wormhole, there still are the Borg. You could just go ahead and explore it all from a fresh new perspective. Maybe JJ-verse-Picard is an even bigger hothead than Kirk instead of the anti-Kirk original-TNG-Picard was. And so on. Maybe Wesley is even a Sparks McGhee!
Anyways, ST could need a fresh new start on the TV screen. Enterprise (the series) wasn't cancelled for no reason. Season 4 showed some promise, but only to ST nerds, and a hit series has to appeal to a broader audience than that, that's just reality. Get rid of all the preachyness, show badass starships doing badass things and still make it very Star Trek by giving the setting a positive vibe instead of BSG-style (or DS9-style) grimdark.
Did anyone of you ever asked yourself ... what was going on "west" of the Federation?
We always fly around in the "east - east-north" on the borders of the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians etc. - but noone ever visited the other side of the galaxy.
Thats what a new show could do. Take the established timeline, refer to events on the other side of the galaxys arm, but stay there and explore the other side of the galaxy.