Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 05:13 AM
In the world of Internet, months are decades and some years are eternity.

Funny thread by the way.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daidarabotchi
In the world of Internet, months are decades and some years are eternity.

Funny thread by the way.
Definitely a funny thread.

Am I the only one who, after reading the original post, wanted to ask how the OP's friend got into office without his/her opponent MUDSLINGING and bringing up the permaban calling ethics and values into question? Imagine the campaign ad ...

Soandso wants to raise taxes!
Soandso doesn't support local police!
Soandso hates puppies!
SOANDSO WAS PERMABANNED FROM FORUM X!

hahahahahahaha
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
There's really no such thing as a permanent ban for someone who was 13 and now 30.

A forum can only ban you in two ways: ban your account name or ban your IP address - your IP address is logged on the forum every time you post. So when I posted this my IP address was also posted to the forum and the Devs/Mods have access to that IP address. If a forum only bans your account name then you can simply just make a new account and keep posting. Of course forum software allows them to cross-reference IP address and see however many accounts someone has - assuming they want to go to all that trouble. If you're IP banned then the only way to post to the forum would be to make a new account and get a new IP.

So, if you were 13 you were living in your parent's home and using their internet, with their IP address. At 30 you're living in your own home and have a different IP address - or at least you should be. As such you had two different IPs. You could simply make a new account name and start posting again. Plus the Mods and Devs are probably different after 17 years and wouldn't know it's you, anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewteddy
The idea of a permaban is silly.

I'd even be willing to back a decade long ban over a permaban as at least the latter has an end-date.
I Strongly disagree...

Theres a certain person who was recently banned from STO because he kept claiming to be/becomeing EP, stealing artwork for his site and a ton of other offences...

He was warn banned several times, and finally Cryptic appearently gave up and banned him for good...

Cryptic gave him alot more breathing room than I would have, and him gone is a good thing for everyone (apart from him of cause), and they should never let him in again, cause he would just start over, because he dosen't want to see where he was wrong in the first place, and as such will continue doing the same sh*t over and over again.

Permabans for permanent ban is a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
A forum can only ban you in two ways: ban your account name or ban your IP address - your IP address is logged on the forum every time you post. So when I posted this my IP address was also posted to the forum and the Devs/Mods have access to that IP address. If a forum only bans your account name then you can simply just make a new account and keep posting. Of course forum software allows them to cross-reference IP address and see however many accounts someone has - assuming they want to go to all that trouble. If you're IP banned then the only way to post to the forum would be to make a new account and get a new IP.
Traditionally, yes. Unfortunately for us users, the now-rising practice of tying your internet accounts more directly to your real life identity (e.g. via Facebook profile) makes it possible to enforce a ban against the actual person and not just their IP or member account.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Much like a jail sentence for Life only being a long time, not for a full on life time, a permaban is also for a long time, and after a long time could be overturned.