# 2
04-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery7810
I saw this and reminded me of this huge ship, the excalibur class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-vq...9fRVAAAAAAAABQ

So will this baby ever come to STO?
No it won't.
It's a fan ship, which is both non-canon and something Cryptic is not allowed to use.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
No it won't.
It's a fan ship, which is both non-canon and something Cryptic is not allowed to use.
One minor addendum here. Fan-made ships can be added to the game but two things need to happen first:

1: CBS needs to approve it's use
2: Cryptic needs to get a licensing agreement to use the ship from the designer - which requires payment.

As an example of this, Mark Rademaker designed both the Vesta and Merian Class ships, and CBS approved their use in STO. Right now Cryptic is working with Mark to come to licensing terms. If they can succeed in that then both of those fan-made ships will be added to STO.

So it is possible, but I would imagine the odds of seeing the Excalibur in the game are about the same as winning a Galor.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
One minor addendum here.[
One major addendum to the minor addendum ... the Vesta isn't a fan-made ship like other fan-made ships. It's a ship that was designed for Star Trek books and then calendars and the like.

Just regular old fan-made ships aren't going to get made into ships for this game. But ships made for other projects (like the Star Trek novels) that are already licensed products of Star Trek and CBS can get discussed.

In short, your sketches and scribbles at home aren't going to be treated like the Vesta. So keep that in mind when reading Cosmic's ramblings.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
One minor addendum here. Fan-made ships can be added to the game but two things need to happen first:

1: CBS needs to approve it's use
2: Cryptic needs to get a licensing agreement to use the ship from the designer - which requires payment.

As an example of this, Mark Rademaker designed both the Vesta and Merian Class ships, and CBS approved their use in STO. Right now Cryptic is working with Mark to come to licensing terms. If they can succeed in that then both of those fan-made ships will be added to STO.

So it is possible, but I would imagine the odds of seeing the Excalibur in the game are about the same as winning a Galor.
Not quite right since Rademaker was already working with the people who do the "Ships of the Line" calenders so it's not strictly fanmade material.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Not quite right since Rademaker was already working with the people who do the "Ships of the Line" calenders so it's not strictly fanmade material.
I work under the belief that "fan-made" refers to things which are not canon: IE, not seen in the series or movies and were done by fans not associated with CBS or Paramount. While Rademaker is a popular ship artist most of his work is nothing but fan art. The fact that some of it was included in the Ships of the Line Calendar doesn't make it anything more then fan art. And the work done in Legacy is probably just as much "almost" canon, if not more, then anything done in the SotL calendar.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
I work under the belief that "fan-made" refers to things which are not canon:
As I pointed out above, be wary of Cosmic's ramblings. All his commentary does in this thread is set the stage for another one of those long rambling debates about what is canon and what isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
I work under the belief that "fan-made" refers to things which are not canon: IE, not seen in the series or movies and were done by fans not associated with CBS or Paramount. While Rademaker is a popular ship artist most of his work is nothing but fan art. The fact that some of it was included in the Ships of the Line Calendar doesn't make it anything more then fan art. And the work done in Legacy is probably just as much "almost" canon, if not more, then anything done in the SotL calendar.
It's not the same:
while the SOTL calenders are at least produced under a license, the Excalibur from Legacy is not even in the stock version of Legacy (those ships might at least be considered licensed soft-canon): the ship is from a fanmade mod so that's an entirely different matter.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
It's not the same:
while the SOTL calenders are at least produced under a license, the Excalibur from Legacy is not even in the stock version of Legacy (those ships might at least be considered licensed soft-canon): the ship is from a fanmade mod so that's an entirely different matter.
Again, the point is they are both fan-made. If Cryptic wanted to include the Excalibur they would simply need to do 2 things:

1: Ask CBS if they can
2: Come to a licensing agreement with the designer.

That's all they have to do for any fan-made ship. I could design a ship, and if someone at Cryptic really liked it they could take the above steps, even though I'm not famous - and they could eventually include other ships from the Enterprise F contest, even though none of those people are famous or work in canon.

Whether or not it's worthy of being included is determined by Cryptic. And, of course, the game already has an Excalibur Class in it, making the inclusion of a second seem even more unlikely.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Again, the point is they are both fan-made. If Cryptic wanted to include the Excalibur they would simply need to do 2 things:

1: Ask CBS if they can
2: Come to a licensing agreement with the designer.

That's all they have to do for any fan-made ship. I could design a ship, and if someone at Cryptic really liked it they could take the above steps, even though I'm not famous - and they could eventually include other ships from the Enterprise F contest, even though none of those people are famous or work in canon.

Whether or not it's worthy of being included is determined by Cryptic. And, of course, the game already has an Excalibur Class in it, making the inclusion of a second seem even more unlikely.
No they couldn't:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...68&postcount=4