Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
I have all 3 series' on DVD, and you're right about the 3rd season. It was off, but I think it was off due to the different voice actors, like you said. I hang around the Starblazers.com website and their Facebook page for new news about our favorite Space Battleship. On ething I did notice in seson 3 though, apparently they only name Space Battleships after old battleships that were lost tragically. Arizona, Bismark, Hood etc etc
ADV Films did a great job with Gatchaman on DVD that I always wished they did the same with Yamato though. It wouldn't be the voices we knew though. Or at least with season 3.

I bought the first 2 seasons from a comic shop before they were available on Netflix. I couldn't find the third season anywhere. Then Netflix got them so I rented them. Season 1 I had to buy individually because that shop only had the first two when I went the first time then had the rest the second time I went. They had season 2 box set as well so grabbed it while I could.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Quote:
I have all 3 series' on DVD, and you're right about the 3rd season. It was off, but I think it was off due to the different voice actors, like you said. I hang around the Starblazers.com website and their Facebook page for new news about our favorite Space Battleship. On ething I did notice in seson 3 though, apparently they only name Space Battleships after old battleships that were lost tragically. Arizona, Bismark, Hood etc etc
That's interesting to know - I happened to had started naming my STF ships by the names of ships which sank in WW2, coincidentially.

I have a 'destroyer tender' named Ark Royal and the assault cruiser is probably going to be named Indianapolis.

I had considered buying a Dreadnaught and calling her Yamato but I'm not a fan of taking names that are too famous (thing about living up to expectation heh).
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Interesting. I don't know the series. Only saw the live action movie. I enjoyed it for its effects and space pewpew, besides it that movie sadly was too much a BSG ripoff staight down to emulating several scenes from it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
Interesting. I don't know the series. Only saw the live action movie. I enjoyed it for its effects and space pewpew, besides it that movie sadly was too much a BSG ripoff staight down to emulating several scenes from it.
Sorry to break it to you. But the movie was based on the original anime. It was BSG that borrowed heavily from the original Yamato cartoon / anime.... Even Glen Larson (BSG creator) acknowledges that he had inspiration from Space Battleship Yamato.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-07-2012, 11:58 AM
To to say the anime aired in October 6, 1974 as Battlestar Galatica in September 17, 1978.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
The cannon scatter volley spam is tremendously epic and so are the space fighter scenes which incorporate some semi-Newtonian physics. Could use less ending drama though. Real aliens do not wait for the hugging to finish before destroying the Earth.

I am also thinking that shooting the girl was not necessary since in actual warfare it would be stupid not to obey military discipline and GTFO the sinking ship so the Captain can activate Ramming Speed III and finish the STF!

Yamato also needs an additional Lt. tactical officer slot so she can do both CSV1 and CRF1
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Here is a 10 minute clip of the remake/ reboot of Space Battleship Yamato (known in the USA as Star Blazers). IMO it's about time, I loved this toon back in the day, and this remaking of it looks very nice so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreLP...layer_embedded

BTW has anyone watched the live action version?
OMG! Thanks for this! I, too, used to love that show. It wasn't the first Japanime I ever fell in love with (that would be "TOBOR: The 8th Man" from the 1960's) but it was one of the earlier ones, to be sure. I haven't seen the live action movie. Don't think it's been dubbed, subtitled or released in the US as yet. I've seen trailers for it, though, and would LOVE to see the movie. If anyone has any more current info I would love to know. Also would love to know when this new series will be released to the US (if ever). Wonder if they kept the original US theme song? That was a catchy little theme heheheheh.

"We're off to outer space / we're leaving mother Earth / to save the human race / Our Star Blazers!"

ROFLMAO - :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
I may be guilty of trying to get a Space Battleship Yamato inspired starship in as the Enterprise-F
Me too heheheh... actually what I was really pulling for is a new episode where you rescue a disabled Argo from an alternate reality - ROFL :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
"We're off to outer space / we're leaving mother Earth / to save the human race / Our Star Blazers!"

Lol I had to lol at the Star Blazers theme song. It has all of that "yesteryear's charm".

Whereas the Japanese live-action remake was rather serious throughout at least in my opinion. Lots of tragedy and desperate pew pew.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
OMG! Thanks for this! I, too, used to love that show. It wasn't the first Japanime I ever fell in love with (that would be "TOBOR: The 8th Man" from the 1960's) but it was one of the earlier ones, to be sure. I haven't seen the live action movie. Don't think it's been dubbed, subtitled or released in the US as yet. I've seen trailers for it, though, and would LOVE to see the movie. If anyone has any more current info I would love to know. Also would love to know when this new series will be released to the US (if ever). Wonder if they kept the original US theme song? That was a catchy little theme heheheheh.

Well, the live action movie has been subtitiled into English for the Australian release of teh movie (WTF! ) but has not been released in any form here yet. as for the 2199 series I haven't heard much about that except it's being released in a series of movies in limited theater releases.