Lt. Commander
I've noticed that any interruption in IP connectivity results in an almost immediate disconnection. This in itself isn't so bad, though the time the client waits to reconnect could be increased to a minute or so and would keep users form having to relog and reload.

But the problem is that if you happen to try to re-log in before your connection is fully restored, STO will fail to contact the account server. Once this happens, IT WILL NEVER RETRY. You must exit the game completely and restart from the launcher in order to log back in.

By this time, your team could have wiped or failed the mission if you're in an STF.

Could you consider extending the time the client will wait for network connectivity to be re-established? If a PC looses it's IP address (from a wireless roam, power glitch, etc.) can you allow the client to continue to retry and not just immediately disconnect (which it seems to do)?

And please add retry code to the account server login so that if we relog too quickly we don't have to close and re-open the client.

Finally, please check the code that allows us to re-join an instance in progress. I was disconnected twice two days ago in rapid succession. Once when my primary wireless disconnected, and again when my computer decided to roam back to the primary connection when it came back up. The first time I was able to load back into KA Space. The second time I got dumped back to Deep Space 9. Fortunately I didn't get the mission cooldown, but to my team it looked like I abandoned them.

And for the record, I do have a gaming PC with a wired connection. But the laptop is more convenient and allows me to be near the family. A little tolerance in the networking code would greatly enhance my, and I suspect, others', experience. Please join me in this request if you are affected by this and/or think it a good idea. Please do not troll the thread by saying "you shouldn't xyz on wireless".

Thanks!

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
yeah this game and CO are the most network sensitive that I've played. It can be frustrating as hell if you live in an area with older net equipment. Thankfully charter out here knew they had issues and went to work on the node I'm on, it was ridiculous for a while how bad my connection was. I couldn't connect to CO or STO at all but could sit in WoW for hours and chat...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
With all the other things you guys have to worry about, I understand if this is not a high priority. But it does cause a degree of pain.

Can you at least fix the account server not retrying??

-Forjo
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forjo View Post
I've noticed that any interruption in IP connectivity results in an almost immediate disconnection. This in itself isn't so bad, though the time the client waits to reconnect could be increased to a minute or so and would keep users form having to relog and reload.

But the problem is that if you happen to try to re-log in before your connection is fully restored, STO will fail to contact the account server. Once this happens, IT WILL NEVER RETRY. You must exit the game completely and restart from the launcher in order to log back in.

By this time, your team could have wiped or failed the mission if you're in an STF.

Could you consider extending the time the client will wait for network connectivity to be re-established? If a PC looses it's IP address (from a wireless roam, power glitch, etc.) can you allow the client to continue to retry and not just immediately disconnect (which it seems to do)?

And please add retry code to the account server login so that if we relog too quickly we don't have to close and re-open the client.

Finally, please check the code that allows us to re-join an instance in progress. I was disconnected twice two days ago in rapid succession. Once when my primary wireless disconnected, and again when my computer decided to roam back to the primary connection when it came back up. The first time I was able to load back into KA Space. The second time I got dumped back to Deep Space 9. Fortunately I didn't get the mission cooldown, but to my team it looked like I abandoned them.

And for the record, I do have a gaming PC with a wired connection. But the laptop is more convenient and allows me to be near the family. A little tolerance in the networking code would greatly enhance my, and I suspect, others', experience. Please join me in this request if you are affected by this and/or think it a good idea. Please do not troll the thread by saying "you shouldn't xyz on wireless".

Thanks!

-Forjo

i have had network problems, heavy lagging going on(depends how many people are on online, including the LAN and ltimately not your fault or the servers), connection on the blink(more annoying then heavy lagg), server side lagg(when you click something it take forever for the object to respond to the click) and own lagg (when you click on something it loads on your end but takes forever for it to translate to the server so it can update everyone else). in all these, i havent really had a disconnection, sometimes it happens by random for no reason, othertimes the lheavy lagg gets so bad it blinks then crashes after a while.
Lt. Commander
# 5 yes please help us
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with you totally I have lost connection at the more sensitive times when my team needed me the most