Lt. Commander
# 1 So...PW changed what they wanted?
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Right after the PW sale we were told that PW wanted the KDF to be a full fledged faction and that a big KDF PvE update was in the works. However in the most recent interview with Dan he says that PW would have preferred the KDF remain "monster play" and that they mainly focus on end game PvP content. So which is it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Right after the PW sale we were told that PW wanted the KDF to be a full fledged faction and that a big KDF PvE update was in the works. However in the most recent interview with Dan he says that PW would have preferred the KDF remain "monster play" and that they mainly focus on end game PvP content. So which is it?
I'd have to lean with Dan the man said.

I don't see the KDF ever getting such a huge update, not for years at least
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
I'd have to lean with Dan the man said.

I don't see the KDF ever getting such a huge update, not for years at least
That really has nothing to do with my question. My question is what does PW want, since we have been told 2 contradictory things.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
So which is it?
It was probably both. At the time of the sale (May, 2011) PW probably felt there was revenue to be made by making the KDF more viable. After 10-11 months of data they've come to the conclusion that the KDF will never have a major fan-base following and that putting too many resources into that direction is just a waste of money. So ultimately it's just easier to focus primarily on end-game for both groups - and also expanding on PvP and making the war actually viable seems like a reasonable choice as it kills several birds with one stone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
That really has nothing to do with my question. My question is what does PW want, since we have been told 2 contradictory things.
Whom did you expect to answer your question? Are you looking for a general community feel, or fishing for a developer response? If Dan himself answered your question, would your questions still be unsatisfied? How about PWE_Branflakes, since he has "PWE" in his name?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
They will spin the answer.
I am pretty sure the real answer is somewhere in between like this: PWE and Cryptic want to make big meta systems for the game instead of Story Content.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I tend to believe whatever said later. This may point to the fact that STO has not been commercially that successful even aftar f2p hence cancelling development of KDF faction.

Or that they think making end game content will benefit all people and add to the game's longevity.

But they did erase Kerrat/Warzone Hmm
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
PW wants what their shareholders want
Cryptic wants what PW wants
the Devs want what Cryptic want

But at any of these stages there can be changes to reflect "operational reality". Shareholders in the end want to make players happy, but each step can modify what is desired due to reality, things like profitability and creating something that works, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
There have to be more Klingon players to get more Klingon content, but there has to be more Klingon content to get more Klingon players.

Perfect catch-22 situation.

I've written off EVER seeing significant Klingon content development.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
To give you my personal 2 GPLs, Nagus, I suspect there's a gulf between what you want to hear and the truth. As much as it would be cool to have Klingon content from the Academy all the way to Dahar Master, I suspect that it will be unlikely that we'll see that in the near future, largely becuase the faction doesn't have that big of a draw.

But to preempt any "chicken and egg" arguments, I will simply ask, rhetorically: with all of the various Star Trek series that have come out between TOS and now, we have there never been any movies or series based on the Klingons? Because people don't watch Star Trek for the Klingons. Similarly, most players don't play STO for the Klingons, or the Romulans, etc.: they play it for the UFP.
Closed Thread