Lt. Commander
# 391
04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
>SNIP<

Resource Drought.
There's no excuse for this. Not when Perfect World just raked in God only knows how much money from key sales on the C-store for the Galor lockbox, and will likely rake in that much more with the next one.

I don't know how they do it in China, but in Western World, there's a very true rule that applies to business: It takes money to make money. Perfect World bought Cryptic because they wanted to get into the Western Market, but they are trying to play by Eastern rules and as a result they are missing out on so much potential long-term gain because they aren't investing in them.

IF they want STO to be profitable, then they need to loosen the purse strings and budget for a staff large enough and balanced enough in development skills to make it happen. You cannot run a major IP-based MMO on a shoestring budget. Or maybe they can.

It's our fault, you know. The community, I mean. We buy the fluff they throw out there. The game is lackluster at best, even after they spent so much time developing a few new cool things for it. But the fluff items are top notch.

Quote:
I'm not. Because for two years I've wanted to see the game move forward. Instead I got half-done diplomacy, Dabo but no Poker, Interiors that had no function, Absolutely no new hair tech, a foundry that won't let me use Starlians as a villain, a crew assignment minigame that plays like a browser game, a ground combat revamp that turned an MMO into an FPS, two crafting revamps that didn't work, s universe that suggests the Excelsior is a top ship of the line but a Constitution is too old, and now I'm getting fleet oriented forced PvP and PvE through starbases.

The entire time I haven't gotten any new stories about the Undine. Practically nothing about the Iconians. And zilch about the Gamma Quadrant and the Kazon.

Star Trek is an IP based around strong storytelling. Yet this game keeps pumping out everything BUT that.
I know what you are saying. And I agree. The only reason I am willing to wipe the slate clean as far as the old promises are concerned is that now, after TWO YEARS, it is clear to me that the likelihood of seeing them delivered upon is practically non-existant. But I want them to actually come out and say, "We just cannot do it and we are sorry."

They need to do that and stop stringing us along, or they need to actually deliver the goods. One or the other. I don't have any control over what they can or cannot do. But I do have control over where I spend my recreational money. And I am sure not spending it on STO so long as they keep jerking us around.

STO is not an island. It is surrounded on all sides by MMOs that offer Free-to-play access. And in as much as I hate Star Wars: The Old Republic because of what it is not, I am actually considering subscribing to it. Because based on what I have seen, BioWare actually is hearing what its community is saying and is actually taking steps to develop TOR's forward-going content and systems accordingly. Which is more than I can say for Cryptic. And when "The Secret World" comes out, I am considering giving it a try as well.

I want an MMO I can immerse myself in. STO is a game I log into, do my DOff assignments, maybe run a daily orn two and log out of. Games like Ultima Online drew me in and made me want to play for hours if I had the time, and allowed me to take maybe a few minutes, craft some arrows for my guild, and log out if that's all the time I had. How much time I spent had no bearing on how useful I could be to my in-game community.

When I find that type of MMO again, that is where I and my money will be. And Cryptic/Perfect World can take that to the bank!
Lt. Commander
# 392
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
It is my opinion that Cryptic was never heavyweight enough to take on this IP. While I am infinitely overjoyed there is a (finally) Star Trek MMO, it is galling and depressing that it now exists in such a starved state with virtually no hope for a desperately needed injection of resources.

This is Star Trek - one of the most enduring, best known sci-fi franchises in popular culture. It, frankly, deserved better.
Lt. Commander
# 393
04-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBriton
It is my opinion that Cryptic was never heavyweight enough to take on this IP. While I am infinitely overjoyed there is a (finally) Star Trek MMO, it is galling and depressing that it now exists in such a starved state with virtually no hope for a desperately needed injection of resources.

This is Star Trek - one of the most enduring, best known sci-fi franchises in popular culture. It, frankly, deserved better.
I would hazard a guess that you are not alone in those feelings. As much as I love trek, it has been, interesting, to say the least for the last 2 years.
Lt. Commander
# 394
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
It would have been fantastic if Star Trek had found its way into the hands of a company with good funding and the ability to make the game into something worthwhile of the Star Trek name. In some really, really lucky alternate universe Bioware got Star Trek, and made it into a behemoth with lots of moral dilemmas and vast planetside maps to explore, with things to discover and catalogue.
Lt. Commander
# 395
04-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
It would have been fantastic if Star Trek had found its way into the hands of a company with good funding and the ability to make the game into something worthwhile of the Star Trek name. In some really, really lucky alternate universe Bioware got Star Trek, and made it into a behemoth with lots of moral dilemmas and vast planetside maps to explore, with things to discover and catalogue.
Yes... The BioWare of the alternate universe would have designed STO that way. The BioWare of this universe would have designed it loke TOR with a Star Trek skin, and there would have been a lot less character customization options, and we'd only ever get one ship to fly around the galaxy in. And their idea of exploration would be finding datacrons in the middle of nowhere.

I hate to say it but STO has way more potential as it is currently designed than TOR does. The problem is that those with the power to do something about it cannot be bothered to do so. The result is that STO isn't even STRIVING to reach its potential. It's just stagnating.
Lt. Commander
# 396
04-08-2012, 01:11 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 397
04-08-2012, 02:27 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 398
04-08-2012, 04:25 AM
This thread has now most definitely run its course, and is very much going down hill fast. Due to the high number of flaming/trolling posts and/or reported posts in this thread; I'm closing it down.

• For future reference please remember that it helps a great deal when posts which violate the PWE Community Rules and Policies are reported and then simply ignored.

• If you think any of your posts within this thread have violated the PWE Community Rules and Policies; please go back and edit such post before a moderator takes action.

• You are more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic, as long as an active thread on the same topic is not currently open and has been posted in within the last 30 days (hence active), in which case you can carry on the discussion in such thread.

• If you feel you need to get in touch with support to discuss the actions taken by any community moderator, you can do so by submitting a support ticket (click here).

Cheers,

Alecto
Closed Thread