Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Multi Vector assult mode
Saucer Separation
Chevron Separation


Where/when is it going to end?
Why don't you just introduce Federation carriers already
We could easily take (Jupiter Class? ship) the Large 4 nacelled ship that's now only visible from outside omega group, which was the Federation dreadnaught back before the Galaxy X, and just turn it into a carrier

honestly I was content believing that the Galaxy X lost Saucer seperation to have a HUGE Phaser lance Fused to the bottom of the Saucer Hull (presumably permanently) connecting it to the Stardrive (battle section)


But seriously Guys we need to get a hold of ourselves here before we start having Mirandas, defiants, and klingon birds of prey with saucer seperation. or Nebula class that has Flyable Mission pod separation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-05-2012, 02:44 AM
You will eventually get the Fed Carrier.

Saucer Seperation has none of the Commands a Carrier has.

It's a part of the series, including the MVAE which had screen time so don't use it if you don't like it.

As for Klingon Saucer Seperation, well we don't have saucers they'd have to build us a specific ship designed to seperate. You know what yes let's take a Multi Vector ship from you guys when you take our Carrier.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
You will eventually get the Fed Carrier.

Saucer Seperation has none of the Commands a Carrier has.

It's a part of the series, including the MVAE which had screen time so don't use it if you don't like it.

As for Klingon Saucer Seperation, well we don't have saucers they'd have to build us a specific ship designed to seperate. You know what yes let's take a Multi Vector ship from you guys when you take our Carrier.
hey that sounds good to me Klingons get a MVAM, when feds get a carrier.

i know that as far as the galaxy and the prometheus go that saucer separation is canon. i'm just saying that they are going a little overboard giving it to the galaxy X as well as the Odyssey

i seem to recall that the klingon ship tailor does refer the "head" of the ship as a saucer. not to mention in the game klingon Honor guard they state the the K'Tinga? D7? has the ability to separate the "neck" from the stardrive... and yes i know that video games are not Canon
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
The K'Tinga's separation was a lot like the Constitution's if I remember my soft canon correctly. You could separate, but reconnecting would require an extended layover at a starbase. You wouldn't normally do it unless you were going to lose the other part of the ship anyway. The Defiant's nose could do the same thing, but that worked the opposite way - the rest of the ship was the lifeboat and the nose carried the ship's remaining torpedoes and antimatter to serve as a final holdout weapon to destroy or disable the threat.

The Galaxy-X production model could still separate. It was the same model, after all. Same ship for that matter. The Sovereign was designed to allow it as well, despite never actually doing it on screen, and the Odyssey has the same triangular connection plane the Sovereign appears to. It's been a feature of the Enterprise line since the 1701, though being able to reconnect afterwards only came with the D.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
No!,

Just have the escape pods all launch with one turret each!

That would be a sight.. 200+ escape pods ! Pew Pew!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
There's rumors of a Caitian Carrier floating about, I'm excited for it personally =P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Eep, sounds like someone has separation anxiety....

The fascination with hull separation has always bothered me too... how could the separate portions be anything other than more vulnerable?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Eep, sounds like someone has separation anxiety....

The fascination with hull separation has always bothered me too... how could the separate portions be anything other than more vulnerable?
In TNG, the primary hull wasn't meant to be used in battle... it was meant to retreat with a good chunk of the crew and all the civilians while the stardrive/engineering/secondary hull did battle. To make doing so not a stupid move, Utopia Planitia presumably armored the interface.

The advantages of doing this are that the ship doing battle now has lower mass (favorably modifying inertia and moment of inertia), the same power output, few to no civilians, and similar weapons (although several phaser strips are located on the primary hull, if I remember correctly there are also several on the hull interface: there's a defensive torpedo mounted in the saucer's docking cavity), and also presents a smaller profile. The result is essentially a ship that converts from a slow, civilian-laden exploration cruiser to a battlecruiser and a modestly defended transport.

Unfortunately, due to the expense of the saucer separation sequences (and possibly due to the odd appearance of the stardrive section alone), most of TNG and DS9 were filmed such that the saucer didn't come off during prolonged engagements, such as the Dominion War.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Eep, sounds like someone has separation anxiety....

The fascination with hull separation has always bothered me too... how could the separate portions be anything other than more vulnerable?
In this game when you fight a seperated Multi Vector you know to attack the bit displaying the players name. In a more realistic sense you'd have to kill multiple things. Attacking with the same firepower as the Escort but from multiple angles at once.

So you either focus on one unit, leaving the others relatively free to attack you or split your focus meaning in general less incoming fire per unit. When each component is actually a Starship rather than a Star Drive and a Life boat saucer section it makes lots more sense.

Imagine if you where fighting 3 humans in an MVAE rather than 1 and 2 bad AIs. Than you start to understand the potential of the ships design.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoKnight View Post
In TNG, the primary hull wasn't meant to be used in battle... it was meant to retreat with a good chunk of the crew and all the civilians while the stardrive/engineering/secondary hull did battle. To make doing so not a stupid move, Utopia Planitia presumably armored the interface.

The advantages of doing this are that the ship doing battle now has lower mass (favorably modifying inertia and moment of inertia), the same power output, few to no civilians, and similar weapons (although several phaser strips are located on the primary hull, if I remember correctly there are also several on the hull interface: there's a defensive torpedo mounted in the saucer's docking cavity), and also presents a smaller profile. The result is essentially a ship that converts from a slow, civilian-laden exploration cruiser to a battlecruiser and a modestly defended transport.

Unfortunately, due to the expense of the saucer separation sequences (and possibly due to the odd appearance of the stardrive section alone), most of TNG and DS9 were filmed such that the saucer didn't come off during prolonged engagements, such as the Dominion War.
None of that changes the fact that the secondary hull would lose the main impulse engines (which are on the primary), plus all the weaponry that is on the primary, shield generators, etc.

Meanwhile the primary hull is only an impulse vessel. It can't get far and would be easy prey for any warp capable ship.

For it to be a meaningful option, the saucer should be separated nowhere near battle, but then why fly with it at all in times of war? And why not build a ship that is simply stronger intact in the first place?

As for the multi-vector, again, the reality is that it becomes 3 ships, each easier to take down, without gaining any firepower. It might be useful if you have multiple targets that you need to deal with simultaneously, but other than that.....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.