Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Unlike the Galaxy, each segment of the Prometheus had it's own warp core, powering not only the weapons, but allowed each segment to serve as a fully functional, independend vessel.
sauce

Never heard of multiple warp cores on a single ship
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soronarr View Post
sauce

Never heard of multiple warp cores on a single ship
In the Prometheus's debut, it was explicitly demonstated that all 3 sections are warp-capable, with their own nacelles. (The chevron section deploys a pair of mini-nacelles, while the other two sections take two each of the combined form's 4.) Warp nacelles generally tend to be useless without a warp core, so it's implied, albeit never confirmed, that the Prometheus has 3 of them.

It's not like redundant systems are a bad thing - quite the opposite, in fact. Space is the most dangerous environment known to mankind, with the possible exception of romantic relationships, and space COMBAT ratchets that danger up to 11. Why would you NOT plan for the potential disabling of a major component with a backup system? IRL spacecraft have as many redundancy layers as the designers can cram on board - why would you expect technology to move backwards in that regard?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
Destinii since you are 100% convinced of your opinion being the only one that is valid, this is no longer a discussion.

In the show, the ship was far superior to it's in game performance. Be it Balance for fairness or limitations of the game engine.

The ship must be balanced for play. That means you don't get to outfit 3 warships and choose which one to fly in battle it means you outfit one ship and fly it with modified stats and 2 pets of little use.
Riiiiiiight, and you're *not* 100% convinced *your* opinion is the only one valid, because really, there are only two sides of this - those who think the Prometheus is a good idea and those who don't. Nobody's presented any evidence that will convince *me* yet (but maybe others have been) that splitting one ship into three is a good idea. Nobody's presented any evidence to convince you (although maybe some others have been) that it isn't.

There is such a thing as "agreeing to disagree", which is actually a nicer way of saying what you did in your initial sentence, instead of making it sound like an attack.

I still think that the whole idea of separation except for emergencies is a gimmick. That's my opinion. It's in the game, though, and at times I do use it on ships that have saucer separation or with my MVAE (although I swap that console out for others depending). But, that still doesn't change the fact that *I* think (your opinion may vary) that it's just gimmicky.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-12-2012, 02:02 AM
It wasn't meant as an attack it was meant as a statement.

I'm not 100% convinced I'm right, I'm 100% sure I'm right. There is a difference.

Going by what the Voyager Message in a Bottle Episode advertised it could do, everything you said so far is wrong. You have no proof for your argument which so far seems to be there is no way three ships are more powerful than one.

Unfamiliar with the helm and weapons systems, the two EMH programs unsuccessfully attempt to fool the Romulans into leaving, before three more Starfleet vessels arrive to retake their ship. In the ensuing battle, all six other vessels target the Prometheus. The EMH Mark II stumbles upon the command to put the ship into multi-vector assault mode. The strength of the Prometheus is quickly demonstrated when it easily overpowers and destroys one of the Romulan warbirds. With that loss, the Romulans retreat, and a Starfleet security detail transports over to the Prometheus.

OK I admit this is only the wiki page and it's been awhile since I saw it, but unless somebody has drastically changed this I would argue that Multi-vector Assault mode is a viable and useful combat maneuver. As I and others have said before, the thing is meant to be 3 ships flying together to save resources and splitting for combat. I'll even not points in your favour that the Ship they destroyed was damaged in the battle by two Defiants and an Akira.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
It wasn't meant as an attack it was meant as a statement.

I'm not 100% convinced I'm right, I'm 100% sure I'm right. There is a difference.

Going by what the Voyager Message in a Bottle Episode advertised it could do, everything you said so far is wrong. You have no proof for your argument which so far seems to be there is no way three ships are more powerful than one.

Unfamiliar with the helm and weapons systems, the two EMH programs unsuccessfully attempt to fool the Romulans into leaving, before three more Starfleet vessels arrive to retake their ship. In the ensuing battle, all six other vessels target the Prometheus. The EMH Mark II stumbles upon the command to put the ship into multi-vector assault mode. The strength of the Prometheus is quickly demonstrated when it easily overpowers and destroys one of the Romulan warbirds. With that loss, the Romulans retreat, and a Starfleet security detail transports over to the Prometheus.

OK I admit this is only the wiki page and it's been awhile since I saw it, but unless somebody has drastically changed this I would argue that Multi-vector Assault mode is a viable and useful combat maneuver. As I and others have said before, the thing is meant to be 3 ships flying together to save resources and splitting for combat. I'll even not points in your favour that the Ship they destroyed was damaged in the battle by two Defiants and an Akira.
Mary Sue ship is Mary Sue. Let's face it. It came from Voyager. For every good episode of Voyager, there was at least one that had some uber powerful MacGuffin (which the Prometheus was). If the ship was so successful, why don't we ever see a fleet of them? Why wasn't this tactic adopted by all of Star Fleet's ships (by laying down new hulls of both the Prometheus and even more powerful versions) if it was so viable?

Because it was the 'plot point' of that episode.

So again, we're going to have to agree to disagree.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazapsky
In the Prometheus's debut, it was explicitly demonstated that all 3 sections are warp-capable, with their own nacelles. (The chevron section deploys a pair of mini-nacelles, while the other two sections take two each of the combined form's 4.) Warp nacelles generally tend to be useless without a warp core, so it's implied, albeit never confirmed, that the Prometheus has 3 of them.

It's not like redundant systems are a bad thing - quite the opposite, in fact. Space is the most dangerous environment known to mankind, with the possible exception of romantic relationships, and space COMBAT ratchets that danger up to 11. Why would you NOT plan for the potential disabling of a major component with a backup system? IRL spacecraft have as many redundancy layers as the designers can cram on board - why would you expect technology to move backwards in that regard?
Usually redundancy is good, but 3 warp cores means 3 areas a breach could occur and thus 3 times the shielding/containment needed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Saucer Separation was incorporated for the D as a gimmick and a way to handwave the fact the ship was crewed with civilians and families ("We can just send the noncomatants away on the saucer while we fight with the stardrive!"). Note how little it was used in the series (4 times total, IIRC).
It has been noted by the people responsible before that the main reason it wasn't used very much was because of budget concerns, otherwise we would have seen it more. Saucer Separation was written into scripts before, only to be removed because of the budget for the episode.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 PM.