Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I bought a new car last year, and came back to the lot this year and found the same model in the used section for $10,000 cheaper. Why won't they give me that $10,000 back?


...This happens all the time. Everything is more expensive/exclusive the newer that it is. Prices drop. Pay only items become free. Items only sold individually become bundles.


You paid for the ability to use Ferengi when no one else (that didn't also pay) could. You got months (I assume, you said "awhile back") of Ferengi before any F2Pers did. How do you "return" that in exchange for a refund for Cryptic? And how did Cryptic not deliver what you paid for? Do you believe that they should let you use a character for free for months before everyone else can and get nothing back? And did you really believe it would be exclusive forever?


My suggestion is to take this as a learning experience... the next time you consider purchasing ANYTHING (whether it's a pair of shoes or a bridge officer species in Star Trek Online), think to yourself, "How will I feel if the price drops in the future? Am I content to pay this price knowing it could be lower (or even free) at a later date?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Nein! I want free stuff! :p

In my opinion, Cryptic is one of the nicer companies I've done business with, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll continue to do business with them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Yes. That is correct. You are out the money you spent. They will not refund you a single C-Point. I've asked. Multiple times. Since I purchased 3 of the 4 races they eventually made for free. They wouldn't even give those customers a nice "thank you" for their support of the game over the time period where those were sold ... I offered up a suggestion like a free Tribble ... the kind they hand out for free at least two times a year for using their broken test server to test their bugged content. But nope. Cryptic Customer Service is exactly as terrible as it sounds. They got your couple of bucks and won't even say thank you or let it be known they appreciate your business.

Consider this both an explanation of what happened as well as as some of that classic "Cryptic Sucks AND HERE'S WHY" feedback.

Cryptic sucks because they take your money, alter the c-store to give out what you spent real money on for free, and don't even throw you a bone of appreciation afterwards. You're not even worth the time it takes to change the color scheme on a tribble and mail it to you.
I'm confused... so a player buys access to these species... and somehow Cryptic is the evil robber baron for making them free later down the line, even though the player got to use them months or years ahead of anyone else... how is this an issue?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
I'm confused... so a player buys access to these species... and somehow Cryptic is the evil robber baron for making them free later down the line, even though the player got to use them months or years ahead of anyone else... how is this an issue?
thats not the issue. making them free and taking the money with no 'thanks for that purchase, here's something as a show of good faith for being a customer'

we end up getting nothing but being called entitled by you types.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractism View Post
thats not the issue. making them free and taking the money with no 'thanks for that purchase, here's something as a show of good faith for being a customer'

we end up getting nothing but being called entitled by you types.
You got the use of the item for 2 years when no one else had it. At best you could consider it a rental agreement of said item.

I'd also be careful with all the "apologist" and "you types" comments. You're now verging into personal attack territory when you start insulting the individuals in the thread rather then the points being made.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
You got the use of the item for 2 years when no one else had it. At best you could consider it a rental agreement of said item.

I'd also be careful with all the "apologist" and "you types" comments. You're now verging into personal attack territory when you start insulting the individuals in the thread rather then the points being made.
you're making excuses for cryptic. stop it. this is why I use that word. I'm addressing your points, put away your jump to conclusions mat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractism View Post
you're making excuses for cryptic. stop it. this is why I use that word. I'm addressing your points, put away your jump to conclusions mat.
I would think my point here is that everything we buy in an MMO is just being rented. I could spend $100.00 in the C-Store today and Cryptic could shutdown the STO servers at the end of the month. Just ask all the people who purchased LTS to Hellgate: London feel.

Anyone who's ever played any MMOs understand that things change all the time. Items we buy get nerfed up and down in power level constantly. Perpetual change is the nature of an MMO. And I honestly think this game has much bigger issues that need to be addressed then worrying over a downgraded $3.00 Ferengi BOFF after 2 years.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractism View Post
thats not the issue. making them free and taking the money with no 'thanks for that purchase, here's something as a show of good faith for being a customer'

we end up getting nothing but being called entitled by you types.
Us types? You mean people who cite precedent and make logical counterarguments?

You got nothing all right, and you got to use nothing for a long while before it was made free to all those awful F2P types. You think I felt ripped of when my exclusive pre-order Connie went to the C-Store? Nope, because I still got to use it before a lot of other people had to pay for the same privilege.

You should physically write Cryptic a scathing letter demanding your $1 back. The stamp would cost 42 cents.

Edit: I mean really? We're having this debate over 80 C-Points? I spend more on a can of soda these days.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Second, when you join the game Cryptic reserves the right to change anything. You agree to that by clicking yes. People never read the EULA and TOS but it's always in there.
and your point is? you can put anything you want in a tos agreement. that doesn't make it legal or enforceable. you actually think that clicking 'I agree' suddenly means you're actually bound by it? ask a contract lawyer, they'll tell you exactly the same thing as i'm telling you right now - tos and EULA agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. neither are wills for that matter

Quote:
Yes. That is correct. You are out the money you spent. They will not refund you a single C-Point. I've asked. Multiple times
just because they told you no on something doesn't mean they're actually allowed to to. you know how many companies get away with stuff they're not actually allowed to do because people don't know any better and take them at their word?

Quote:
I bought a new car last year, and came back to the lot this year and found the same model in the used section for $10,000 cheaper. Why won't they give me that $10,000 back?
which has nothing to do with this situation at all. you're talking about depreciation, not taking peoples money while knowing something is going to be much cheaper or free, permanently a week later. by withholding that information you are preventing a customer from being able to make a competent decision on whether or not to buy the item.

Quote:
In my opinion, Cryptic is one of the nicer companies I've done business with
nice companies don't have staff that lie to customers and talk in circles when asked a direct question.

Quote:
I'm confused... so a player buys access to these species... and somehow Cryptic is the evil robber baron for making them free later down the line, even though the player got to use them months or years ahead of anyone else... how is this an issue?
its not an issue if you bought the species early on. it is, however, a very large issue if you bought it, say, a couple weeks before it went free. why? because at that time the company knew it was going to be free very soon and withheld important information relating to the sale. therefore you could not make an informed decision to purchase or not to purchase the species. companies aren't allowed to withhold that kind of information

Quote:
You got the use of the item for 2 years when no one else had it. At best you could consider it a rental agreement of said item.
show me a rental contract or its not a rental. its not considered anything unless its there in writing. you are making excuses for cryptic.

Quote:
I'd also be careful with all the "apologist" and "you types" comments. You're now verging into personal attack territory when you start insulting the individuals in the thread rather then the points being made.
that is not a personal attack by any definition of the term. an apologist is a person who makes excuses to lessen the seriousness of an unacceptable act someone else does in an attempt to make them look better than they actual are and/or to excuse that behavior. stating the truth is not a personal attack. if you were even going to try to go down that route you would also have to call the people accusing people of being 'whiners' and 'entitled' as making personal attacks as well.

Quote:
I would think my point here is that everything we buy in an MMO is just being rented
there have been a considerable number of lawsuits, which users have won, that indicate the contrary. the issue of ownership in an online game is at best a grey area, however there have been many incidents where courts have ruled in favor of a user owning virtual property.

Quote:
And I honestly think this game has much bigger issues that need to be addressed then worrying over a downgraded $3.00 Ferengi BOFF after 2 years.
I agree. however, you're missing a key point: this is just one symptom of a much larger problem cryptic has in regards to how it treats its customers. add them all up and you start to see a serious problem.

if you wanted to make an issue of it you could, and eventually you would win. but why anyone would over $5 worth of cstore points I don't know
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 PM.