Lt. Commander
# 21
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post

there have been a considerable number of lawsuits, which users have won, that indicate the contrary. the issue of ownership in an online game is at best a grey area, however there have been many incidents where courts have ruled in favor of a user owning virtual property.
Do you still have access to they species? If so, then what have they removed from you?

So if what you stated above is true, you still own the property what are you complaining about?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that this is something the Ferengi would approve of, so I'm not going to complain about it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
its not an issue if you bought the species early on. it is, however, a very large issue if you bought it, say, a couple weeks before it went free. why? because at that time the company knew it was going to be free very soon and withheld important information relating to the sale. therefore you could not make an informed decision to purchase or not to purchase the species. companies aren't allowed to withhold that kind of information

show me a rental contract or its not a rental. its not considered anything unless its there in writing. you are making excuses for cryptic.
OK then, here they are:

Quote:
16. Fees

PWE may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities on the Website and may allow the purchase of in game "points" that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities ("Zen") ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NON REFUNDABLE AND NONTRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY REASON. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH. PWE may, from time to time, modify, amend, or supplement its fees, billing methods and terms applicable to Zen or to any purchases on the Website, and post those changes in these Terms, in separate Terms of Sale or in other terms or agreements posted on the Website or otherwise provided to you by PWE. Such modifications, amendments, supplements or Terms of Sale shall be effective immediately upon posting on the Website and shall be incorporated by reference into these Terms. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may cancel your account at any time.
Emphasis added by me.

Bazinga.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_wirge
Ferangi, Telerite, and the morons of trek are free(can't remember the race name) for gold accounts now.
I think you're thinking of Pakleds.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
and your point is? you can put anything you want in a tos agreement. that doesn't make it legal or enforceable. you actually think that clicking 'I agree' suddenly means you're actually bound by it? ask a contract lawyer, they'll tell you exactly the same thing as i'm telling you right now - tos and EULA agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. neither are wills for that matter

just because they told you no on something doesn't mean they're actually allowed to to. you know how many companies get away with stuff they're not actually allowed to do because people don't know any better and take them at their word?

which has nothing to do with this situation at all. you're talking about depreciation, not taking peoples money while knowing something is going to be much cheaper or free, permanently a week later. by withholding that information you are preventing a customer from being able to make a competent decision on whether or not to buy the item.

nice companies don't have staff that lie to customers and talk in circles when asked a direct question.

its not an issue if you bought the species early on. it is, however, a very large issue if you bought it, say, a couple weeks before it went free. why? because at that time the company knew it was going to be free very soon and withheld important information relating to the sale. therefore you could not make an informed decision to purchase or not to purchase the species. companies aren't allowed to withhold that kind of information

show me a rental contract or its not a rental. its not considered anything unless its there in writing. you are making excuses for cryptic.

that is not a personal attack by any definition of the term. an apologist is a person who makes excuses to lessen the seriousness of an unacceptable act someone else does in an attempt to make them look better than they actual are and/or to excuse that behavior. stating the truth is not a personal attack. if you were even going to try to go down that route you would also have to call the people accusing people of being 'whiners' and 'entitled' as making personal attacks as well.

there have been a considerable number of lawsuits, which users have won, that indicate the contrary. the issue of ownership in an online game is at best a grey area, however there have been many incidents where courts have ruled in favor of a user owning virtual property.

I agree. however, you're missing a key point: this is just one symptom of a much larger problem cryptic has in regards to how it treats its customers. add them all up and you start to see a serious problem.

if you wanted to make an issue of it you could, and eventually you would win. but why anyone would over $5 worth of cstore points I don't know
They've never lied to me. And, things said in the forums are not contracts. I understand how you would be mad, but you have used the Ferengi for what you wanted, and now everyone else can.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
OK then, here they are:

Emphasis added by me.

Bazinga.
That PWE-TOS/EULA paragraph is not TL;DR - how did you not understand that they're talking about real money transactions?