Lt. Commander
Hey there!

A lot of people complain about the lack of new PvP content in STO so I was trying to think of quick and easy (but satisfying) new maps for PvP.

I came up with three related ideas, what about having an "Enemy At The Gates" map for each faction. One map would be the Klingons attacking Earth and ESD, the other would be the Feds attacking Qo'nos and their Station, the third would be a Klingon attack on Utopia Planitia Ship Yards. One reason I thought of this is that the maps ALREADY EXIST!

Both factions can join either instance... either you choose to defend your territory or attack the enemy's. And make it a timed match (30mins or something).

In all three maps you can have certain objectives for the attacking faction (IE destroy turret emplacements on the space station; destroy ships under contruction in the orbital shipyards; approach the planet and scan the computer database to steal intel, etc). The attackers have to complete all objectives in the preset timeframe.

The defending faction obviously has to defend until the timer runs out but can also get bonus skill points (or maybe loot... everyone gets an extra uncommon item) by destroying a certain amount of ships in that timeframe. Kill 20 ships - Kill 50 ships, etc.

For the attackers, since completing ALL offensive objectives could be difficult you could also have a ranked rewards system. Certain loot tables and rewards for completing half of the objectives vs all of them. Or have unique reward tables for EACH individual objective.

Finally have a unique accolade / title / unique piece of cosmetic loot for completing either of these maps 10 or 25 times. Maybe a unique floor trophy for your ship? Or a Federation combadge for Kilingons and the Klingon emblem for Federation players?

I think this idea would be well received because:
a) It's a unique game type in a PvP map (not just kill 15 enemies or capture points)
b) It fills a need for more PvP content
c) It might even satisfy people who have been looking for open PvP zones. I know it's not an open zone but it still serves to continue the ongoing story arc that the Federation and Klingon Empire are indeed at war.

Again, this can't be hard since the maps are ALREADY THERE! If players could create PvP maps in the Foundry I could probably do it myself! lol (actually that's not a bad idea in itself... allow players to create foundry PvP maps. Have it as one of the first choices when creating a new mission "PvE or PvP map").

Thoughts? Comments?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I really hope this gets a "added to my list of feedback" form Brendan
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
RAAAAAAA
Que Some James Horner music that oddly sounds just like soundtrack from well ever movie he ever scored.
I mean great I would love to know what new game modes they have planned.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Can we add 8v8 ground Capture the Flag?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Am I really out in left field here?

Judging by the lack of comments I guess people aren't as interested in this kind of idea as I thought they'd be. I figured everyone would be all over it.... pushing Cryptic to consider something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Jakyre, the problem is that we know Cryptic doesn't care about PvP, and especially doesn't care about adding new PvP Arenas/Warzones.

They have no intention of adding or changing PvP,

so it's hard to generate interest in things like 'new pvp map ideas'
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussified View Post
Jakyre, the problem is that we know Cryptic doesn't care about PvP, and especially doesn't care about adding new PvP Arenas/Warzones.

I make it a general rule not to do this, but I have to agree with YamYam. It's not that people aren't interested, it's that we've been asking for so long, and there are so many bigger issues with PvP right now, that we feel like we are begging for scraps just to get bug-fixes.

We all want new PvP content, but what is the point if it is all still based on broken skills/gear/powers?

Season 6 is supposed to be the big one for PvP, with the new tech and all that... we'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussified View Post

This......

Ive been around here since launch and just like the rest of the old guard PvPers its really hard to get
behind anything anymore since we know its falling on deaf ears.

That said dont give up maybe pigs will "FLY" someday.

Heres hoping..........
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I like it - good on ya mate.

+1

Would be nice to have another pve/pvp situation, besides the borg related ones - It's getting to where i can't stand the sight of jello anymore.

and i love jello.
---

I have a feeling that they are planning to do this as this pvp foundry idea is pure win with not much of a coding time investment on their part - i imagine - so, yeah.

as for the lack of feedback - given the attitude of most mmo communities, the devs are often better off saying nothing, rather than half way promising something only to have to take it off the table later; anyone who's played wow or some of the other ones know what i mean.

nevertheless, i say we STO'ers are bred of a different stock.
A better stock!
We can handle a little smoke up the rear nacelles, if it comes to that.

but hey, if they wanna play it close to the vest - It's their game, if they are willing to let ppl go off and search out greener pastures for their pvp fun, while they decide if their going to comment on pvp changes/updates.. *shrug* i'm sure they've thought carefully about their choice and are confident it's the right one.

@Jakyre
as someone above said, the pvp crowd is just jaded as hell - and honestly i can't blame them.

Not that I expect to get feedback personally, but when certain posts get dev comments, and a well-thought out one that happens to be pvp related doesn't.. well it gets a little frustrating.

All you can do is post and wait though. I plan to do the same until i get tired of it. Worst comes to worst i'll just go back to airsoft.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate those who took the time to read my post and give their opinions.