Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I just noticed that my DC Universe Online game has implemented changes that are very similar to the changes Star Trek Online and Champions Online did when they went Free to play after Lord of the Ring Online's successful launch.

I guess the give paying players $5.00 back hook has now become the standard of Western MMOs?

However, there was one thing I saw on their announcement page thaI think needs to be implemented here. LOCKBOXES are free for Gold members! We need that here. And if it is too lucrative for PW to make it free for those that spend a lot(ie a lot of Gold players), then just make the Gold Lockboxes free for us since they are rare enough(I only have one lockbox after the last event out of all of my 20 characters).

Also that Replay badge thing that would allow us to immediately kreplay some of our favorite episodes or possibly even remofve the Transwarp & Azure timers instead of having to wait for the 30 mijnute timer or longer would be MOST appreciated.

Make it so Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2012, 11:51 AM
its kind of common knowledge that the F2P movement started months before STO ever went F2P, it just took this long to have a significant impact. before long games like WoW and EVE will either die out or go F2P which will then start a chain reaction.

the common point is that subs dont drag in nearby as many as the free market does, thats why PWE took over and tossed this game down the river for a pile of cash. competing companies are always looking to maintain their edge against their rivals and frankly, if one jumps off a cliff they all do it eventually, so expect alot more games go free before long. new games like SWTOR are the last of the sub generation before it all dries out, they are just making sure they get what remains before they have to find ways to get their funds like the lockboxes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X

However, there was one thing I saw on their announcement page thaI think needs to be implemented here. LOCKBOXES are free for Gold members! We need that here. And if it is too lucrative for PW to make it free for those that spend a lot(ie a lot of Gold players), then just make the Gold Lockboxes free for us since they are rare enough(I only have one lockbox after the last event out of all of my 20 characters).

Here is a thread on that from March 29th, last week:

Oh Look! Lockboxes Done Right!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the link. I did not bother to search as I was too excited about the prospects for STO and wanted to get my opinions on it out there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Dungeons and Dragons Online always gets forgotten even though LOTRO did F2P after Turbine did F2P with DDO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
SOE's eq2 were free before lotr and sto. DCUO was being converted to f2p at the same time as lotr. Sony's f2p model is far superior to every mmo I have seen/played.

While the boxes may not be a new concept in f2p(it's not even something cryptic invented), SOE's method of handling it is. I wish Cryptic would take a page from SOE's model, but I don't believe they have a choice in the matter.

As is stands, STO doesn't want a subscription player base. That is why they give no benefits to those subscribers.

More characters? Can do a one time purchase for that.

Vet rewards? Have to seen not seen the 800 day monkey?

SOE gives back $5 a month, gives special loot cards, better equipment and loot options! What does Cryptic give again?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
DCUO wasn't Free to Play prior to Lord of the Rings Online.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
DCUO wasn't Free to Play prior to Lord of the Rings Online.
They were one month apart, but SOE's f2p model was over a year old already. I edited my prior post to reflect that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure LOTRO went Free to Play in September 2010. And DCUO wasn't even launched until January 2011, where it was a paid sub model. And the game didn't go free to play until November 2011.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-05-2012, 02:54 PM
EQ2 is a little trickier. It sort of went Free to Play in August 2010 with the Everquest II Extended. But then the entire thing went Free to Play in December 2011.

DDO went free to play ... in September 2009.

Before any of the others discussed in this thread.