Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Pretty sure LOTRO went Free to Play in September 2010. And DCUO wasn't even launched until January 2011, where it was a paid sub model. And the game didn't go free to play until November 2011.
Not sure the exact date but you are pretty close. I was beta test the f2p model and was not even aware of DCUO at that time. DCUO went f2p almost 1 year after launch and they just recently went f2p.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Thought it was in the same year, guess I was wrong. EQ2 ran the extended for a full year to see how successful it would be prior to switching all of the servers. I know extended was prior to LOTR because I was playing on extended when that change happened.

There is more money to be made in a f2p model that has a priority on subscription player base than without.

All mmo's should have some form of f2p service if you purchased the game honestly. Forcing people who bought the product to sign an EULA after the fact is not exactly legal.

I look forward to the day when all mmo's are produced and sold in a f2p model. It's coming, I have no doubts about that.

At the topic, DCUO didn't steal anything from STO or LOTR. If anything, DCUO and STO are the most similar mmo types of game. Instant action with limit on content. Only one of them has a full production team supporting it though. Any guesses?
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
just wanted to point out that EVE already IS free to play, it's just got a completely different model for how it works out.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah but you have to make the currency first in game before you can use it to play for free. So one way or another, most people are gonna have to pay at first. right?
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Dungeons and Dragons Online always gets forgotten even though LOTRO did F2P after Turbine did F2P with DDO.
I don't forget it. I still love my DDO! Especially my dwarf fighter, Random Axe
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
There was a thread abotu this for at least a month.