Lt. Commander
# 1 Starship weapon hardpoints
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
One thing that has been bothering me lately.

I wonder how difficult it would be to reposition where the weapons fire from the ship, it seems silly that I fire my phasers from the rear tip of the nacelles. I notice this more with rear-facing beam arrays, but turrets also just fire from a point on the structure that wouldn't realistically have a turret in it, again, like the nacelle.

IDEALLY, we could even get the graphic where the array lights up, "charges up" then fires from the center point like in the shows/movies. This would obviously be only for beam arrays, but they are a popular weapon type. DC's, turrets and DHC's are fine, since realistically, the "cannons" themselves would be internal to the ships structure, for example, you don't get a good glimpse of the USS Defiant's cannons, but again, it should fire from the saucer/engineering section, NOT from the nacelles.

The only weapon that seems to work well is the dual beam bank, but thats typically 2 points on the forward edge of the saucer, so that makes sense to me, it looks especially great on the Research Science Vessel, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Ideally, it would be better if weapons themselves didnít have firing arcs attached to them, but instead, the type, class of ship and design of ship you had, would determine your firing arcs available.

Many Federation Ships had much better coverage with their weapons arrays than their Klingon Counterparts. Especially Federation ships that had Phaser Arrays when compared to Star ships like the Miranda or Constitution or Excelsior Classes that had fixed firing positions located under and centered on the saucer.

I always thought it was really strange to see my Constitution class ship firing its weapons from places that it never fired weapons from on the TV show or Movies.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree with this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Also, for the beam array "strips" , it would be nice to not have 4 beams come from the same point on that strip but instead use other parts of the strip or use other strips with a shot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Thread for the Art Feedback Forum?