Lt. Commander
# 21
04-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJamz View Post
I'm glad you guys liked it! It was a blast to work on. Slightly frustrating at times, simply due to the massive number of planets and bushes. I wish we could have built the bird of prey closer to scale than it was, however, the true size wouldn't have left much room for more jungle. Also, fun fact: The bird of prey in the DS9 space walk map is exactly the same as the one in Alpha. I should know, I made both! -- Though, the crashed bird of prey was built specifically for alpha, refit for use on DS9!
i thought that it was the same ship. You know....when you guys create new episodes/fe's, there is nothing wrong with recycling old stuff.
There really isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I will point out, the Bird of Prey's notorious for it's inconsistant size, we've seen it almost any size you can think of... so from that point of view, anything between 50m and 600m is "canon".

As I posted over on Tribble forums though, fantastic mission. The Jungle was great, the sense of being stalked as you went along, the clues left for you to find, the puzzles, the good combat etc... all really good touches.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I love the Unique rewards. Speaking of Unique Rewards. I hope we get a chance to get "Covariant Personal Shield" "Overcharged Plasma Sniper Rifle" "Polarized Tetryon" and a few other Unique Rewards fed has already soon. XD
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Great mission, although so far it has not allowed me to complete it...it keeps wanting me to 'continue', and throws me back to the beginning of the ground part.
I had the same issue. I completed the mission, beamed out as instructed to. Then the mission progress told me I hadn't finished and still needed to beam down. Seeing as I couldn't be bothered to repeat it all, I just switched back to my Fed. So what's the deal with this?
Lt. Commander
# 25 I had a blast!
04-07-2012, 03:55 AM
In my opinion "Alpha" is one of the best missions in the game. The environment offers a very good depth of immersion. It really felt like a living alien jungle world, with a sense of omnipresent danger. "Alpha" has all elements i love to see in a mission:
  • very beautiful space & ground maps
  • optional class specific objectives
  • things to explore / discover
  • engaging story
  • good voice overs
  • choices
  • animals
  • a fun mini game
  • unique / related mission rewards

I have a thing for jungles. In fact, i already thought about a Klingon Foundry mission i could create, which is located on a jungle world at the far borders of the Klingon Empire. And now Cryptic delivered this stunning map! I hope that this map (like UPS) will also be available in the Foundry. Expand that wish on the new flora & fauna. It's a "must have".

The voice over in this mission was great. I was particularly pleased by the Klingon Captain. I hope to see and hear him again in future KDF missions.

The only thing that was a little weird, was standing in front of the (compared to the character model) small Bird of Prey. I think the BoP bridge is located inside this oval front section. But like already stated, the size of the BoP varies in canon as well, and i totaly understand the size decission map design wise. On the other hand you could have burried the larger main section partially. Imply that the ship is much bigger, without the need to show it completely. But what the heck, in my mind this BoP is now a smaller black ops version the KDF send to Romulan space.

On a side note: In a future mission i want to see a wrecked starship in an ocean. The bug comes to mind.

All in all: A very good "stand alone" KDF mission. Let's hope we see more like this in the (not so distant) future.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-07-2012, 04:15 AM
I'll agree with others that this mission was very engaging. I found it to have enough exploration, combat and two great characters in the Romulan and Klingon characters, I enjoyed the voice acting for both and the cutscenes were well done.

Really this mission hit all the points a mission should, and it did convey a sense of exploration and ambience most planetary missions have lacked, the environment was another character with the wildlife and jungle soundscape.

I hope this is hint of how cryptic can provide compelling content at a more steady pace, I think the featured series are neat, but unless they come with dailies, some repeatable content and a new sector like the defera series did, then really they should just be reduced to getting released alternate to season updates.

so you would see something like more one shot deep missions like alpha through the year, then a season release with new mechanics and systems like territory control and starbase, exploration revamps etc, and then maybe a featured series and the cycle resets.

the main thing we need is some real endgame that revolves around player interaction like factions, terrirtoy control and starbases, that we can engage and entertain ourselves over the dry spells.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJamz View Post
I'm glad you guys liked it! It was a blast to work on. Slightly frustrating at times, simply due to the massive number of planets and bushes. I wish we could have built the bird of prey closer to scale than it was, however, the true size wouldn't have left much room for more jungle. Also, fun fact: The bird of prey in the DS9 space walk map is exactly the same as the one in Alpha. I should know, I made both! -- Though, the crashed bird of prey was built specifically for alpha, refit for use on DS9!
Great work I thought it was an awesome mission.
The environment was great, I am a big fan of immersion mission maps and this one knocked the ball out of the park.
The mission itself was engaging and a lot of fun to play.
I explored as much as possible just for the experience.
And to top it all off some new goodies to play with at the end.
If we are going to be able to look forward to more missions like this KDF or FED then all is good in the universe.
Congrats.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
i thought that it was the same ship. You know....when you guys create new episodes/fe's, there is nothing wrong with recycling old stuff.
There really isn't.
^ This ^

That's not to say that we should not see new stuff. But take a page from the Trek TV show production book and use pre-existing elements in new and creative ways.

Look at how they refurnished the Ten Forward set from TNG so it could serve as the Federation President's office in Star Trek VI. Sure we noticed, but it still worked.

Maybe if you guys spent more time on developing the content itself and less time on the new elements to be used in the content, we would see far more missions released...

Just sayin'
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Don't worry guys, we do lots of reuse. I'm working on a new mission now, and I haven't built anything new for it yet. I'll probably build a couple of pieces, but the vast majority of it is mixing and matching old stuff in new ways.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-07-2012, 10:11 AM
My only real complaint on this mission is clipping a bush, twig, or tree and going to a dead stop...other than that, it was fun once I got through the 7 disconnects on the planet mission...