Lt. Commander
# 1 Ask Cryptic: April 2012
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Dan Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the news article.

=====

The questions linked above were answered during the in-game "First Contact Day/ In-Game Ask Cryptic Event" that happened today. After these questions were answered, Dan opened up the chat so players could ask more questions. Here were his responses:

Quote:
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: OK - bear with me - I'm going to pick questions at random

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: STO in China or other Regions. PW is actively working on moving STO into other regions, but China is not likely since Trek is not that popular there. Japan/Russia are more likely.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Are the Fed getting a Carrier? It is possible that we will introduce a limited version of a Carrier for the Feds, but it will most likely only have a single flight deck. Stay tuned.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Talks of Faction Wars - Fleet Progression is a precursor to Faction v Faction Fleet game play - So post Season 6 it is a possibility.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Poker on your ship - only if Software dev who put it there gets around to finishing it :) (nudges Jeff)

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Renaming top rank to be Captain - we are pretty set on the current names, although we still may introduce an "always call me this" option in the future.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: KDF showing armor - that is the holy grail for the character art team. It is tied to changes Al wants to make with Kits so that Kits become costume options instead of tied to gear. Eventually.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Saucer Sep for older ships - Yes we have plans to do this - we are working on tech for it. All Galaxy would be next.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Duty Officer App - It is very likely and Cryptic is committed to doing this - see Careers page for open positions!

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Morn at the Bar - Morn is in hiding at the moment, but will be making an appearance soon.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Other Faction uniforms - unlikely as we still plan to get to multiple factions.There are options though - maybe a Cardassian fed, etc... stay tuned

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE - making more things tradeable between characters - loot and tradeability is being revamped for Season 6.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Account merge issues - former EP Stephen D is on task to address this and look for a revamp website/flow soon.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Next ship = Ferengi related :)

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Increasing Dev team - we continue to hire - Cryptic is adding newe employees every week. I have 5 open positions now - see Careers Page.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: More Species - they are coming! You may even see one prior to Season 6

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Upping level cap - we do plan to do this but probably not until Season 7 or later

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: ETA for Season 6 = midJune - until then events in April and May

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Bugs in recent patches - I'm working closely with directors at Cryptic to overhaul QA processes - I agree it has never been perfect. It is a priority for me.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Buying memberships with EC - probably not, but we are introducing many new tradeable items that will help with EC inflation.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: logging out to switch chars - this has annoyed me for years - it is an infrastructure issue with the engine - requires the engine team to fix - Requests submitted.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Membership for Cpoints - interesting - will investigate.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: My opinion of F2P STO - it is liberating to be able to control my own destiny in terms of running a retail business that has a direct impact on my headcount. I like it.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Skipping cutscenes - it may be possible in some cases, but in others not. Will make a mental note to do what we can to allow skips (esp on replay)

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: More T5 Ships = Fleet made Shipyard makes new top tier ships in S6

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Engine Trails - unfortunately we tried to turn them off but it is server drawn so it turns all trails off in zone for everyone - so we have to remake it to do what you want. maybe someday.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Hair Tech - no doubt - I'm going to go pester Matt and say what ever happened? I think this is tied to work Matt needs to do.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Doffs on Exchange - yes this is annoying - look for an update as soon as Software can work it into a current branch build.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Fleet Bases - more will be explained in May - staying hush on that for the moment - 1 detail they are instanced for Fleet.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: re: More Crafting - Yes it was on the cusp of Season 6 - will now come shortly after S6 - but new sets will be somewhat craftable as part of Fleets in S6

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Interiors for Card/Jem ship - not anytime soon - it will be a side project for an artist over the next year if at all.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Trait Respec = Al and I are working out the details for this - it will come post S6 but most likely this year

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Odyssey dev patch - good idea - will mention to art

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Exploration details - think of Fleets building outposts and colonies on new worlds and expanding out into the unknown - that is the gist of the current design doc - not final yet though.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Account wide bank = most likely in S6 update.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Solo players and Fleets - we are working on design doc for public fleets for solo players that offer similar but limited features - most new content will be for all Lvl 51 players in S6.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Fleet size and new system - stay tuned for details - we want fleets of all sizes to have similar experience where big fleets can simply do things more effeciently

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: re: cross team for Borg - agree this needs to be addressed. I'll ping content about it again.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: missing DOFF rewards - we have it on our schedule to hit all of these at some point, but no dates yet.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Cheaters in PVP - PW and Cryptic QA continuously investigate - email me details at dstahl@crypticstudios.com if you think something shady is happening.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Ship roles and STF - we continue to balance and that is a specific task for Systems. I'll bring it up again with Al.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: one sector space - no update - got put on hold until we do a major expansion
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Neat foundry news. I like everything I'm reading.

But, FYI, I think you may have misunderstood Castmodean's question. He was talking about the roadmap that you wrote and posted many, many moons ago. It's still there, informing the players of the short-term and long-term goals, many of which have been abandoned, with no visible signs that this roadmap even counts for anything now.

It's also creating a lot of false expectations that they devs are working on specific things that are probably not being done by anyone at all, stuff like a cutscene camera tool.

So, can you please update that roadmap with things that are real, while removing the make believe stuff?

Also, to clarify about tagging? TOS stuff, etc. Is anyone working on assets beyond hooking up doors? We really need assets, instead of a platform for a captain's chair with no captain's chairs. We need a sickbay and a transporter pad, for heaven's sake. These are logical assets that need to be included. Is that what you mean by "tagging"

Is adding new STO-specific assets part of someone's job description?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Great "event", thx for your time, Dan & Brandon! Should make this regular!
Although... It kinda felt bad that we couldn't see your ingame avatars. Next time let's do this on Risa #1! (Or Drozana to let klinks join too.)
Lt. Commander
# 4 thanks
04-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for taking the time with the updates Dan!
Things are looking really good can't wait to see some of this roll out

Happy first contact day!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Q: (Cmdr_Funke) I have built Star Trek models for twenty years. Will the Model errors be addressed concerning the scale of DS9 and its details, as well as various errors with other ships?

Dstahl: As a video game, we have to balance gameplay and aesthetics with the published scales of ships and bases from the show. We’ve spent a huge amount of time playing with the scale of DS9 and at the end of the day, we like it where it currently is. As far as ship models, we have to balance our technology, rendering budgets, and manpower versus the time needed to be to the square inch accurate. At the end of the day, we strive to strike the right balance.
have to say that it is frustrating that every time people talking about DS9's scale, the response back is always "well we fixed that". Every time I have heard someone talking about DS9's scale, it's about the interior and it's annoying to have the response always be "it's fixed... OOOOH you were talking about interior".

That being said, DS9 is what it is and there are probably better uses of resources than redoing the interior entirely, which is probably really the only way it could be fixed.

Any ETA for Season 6? I'm not asking for a date, just a rough rough rough estimate, like "latter half of this year"
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Well... I really appreciate the effort that went into these answers.

Nothing they're working on excites me and anything that does excite me sounds like it's a year off or more or contradicts with what they've decided to do.

I'm a lifer -- not going anywhere -- but I just got a good deal on twelve months of gametime in another game I enjoy more so, outside of Foundry authoring when time permits, I can't really say STO will be my primary gaming home anymore in the foreseeable future.

I think the dev team and I just don't find the same things exciting, not even remotely. As in, these answers reinforce for me that there might not even be any overlap.

Well, Jack's right about the tech drops. Glad he decided to be a thorn in somebody's side about that, as "annoying" as it may be. I think he's probably got the best grasp on the experiences I'd like at Cryptic, aside from the fleet starbases (which never appealed to me, sorry), and I'd love it if Jack ever got to actually make a game with the features and accessibility he wanted, with the resources, content, and business models he seems to prefer personally. It's nice that he's continuing to turn up and be a loudmouth on things like nonsensical tooltips and fleet action revamps and now the insane Borg tech drops.

*sigh*

I appreciate the effort but you might as well call Season Six something like "Season Six: That thing you wanted is not on the Schedule for another year."
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
*considers joining a fleet*
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Q: (Cmdr_Funke) I have built Star Trek models for twenty years. Will the Model errors be addressed concerning the scale of DS9 and its details, as well as various errors with other ships?

Dstahl: As a video game, we have to balance gameplay and aesthetics with the published scales of ships and bases from the show. We’ve spent a huge amount of time playing with the scale of DS9 and at the end of the day, we like it where it currently is. As far as ship models, we have to balance our technology, rendering budgets, and manpower versus the time needed to be to the square inch accurate. At the end of the day, we strive to strike the right balance.
There is a great, stickied post by fellow user Blayyde that has a basic size chart for the ship types in game, including shuttlecraft, which provides a good example of why the ships aren't in scale, epsecally in the case of the shuttles. If the shuttles were modelled exactly to scale, they'd be little more than non-descript specs on the screen, if that.

Besides, it's not like Star Trek has any more a stellar reputation of accuracy than any other sci-fi franchise when it comes to scale.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm curious what THIS means:
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Talks of Faction Wars - Fleet Progression is a precursor to Faction v Faction Fleet game play - So post Season 6 it is a possibility.

Will fleets be forced to participate in some sort of PvP gameplay to progress? There are plenty of fleets in game that have nothing to do w/ PvP, i.e; RP fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-05-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm definitely curious about how these items relate to each other for solo players:

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: RE: Solo players and Fleets - we are working on design doc for public fleets for solo players that offer similar but limited features - most new content will be for all Lvl 51 players in S6.

<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: re: More Crafting - Yes it was on the cusp of Season 6 - will now come shortly after S6 - but new sets will be somewhat craftable as part of Fleets in S6

Dstahl: In addition, we will be revamping the rewards structure for Season 6 as a part of our Fleet Advancement system, so look for alternative ways to get MK 12 gear as part of that update.

Dstahl: Al has some ideas around this and we are currently discussing how the new shipyard that will be an unlockable feature of Fleet Starbases might be involved in this sort of Refit opportunity. No guarantees that we’ll do it yet, but what you are asking for is in line with the type of ships we want to see coming out of Fleet Starbase Shipyards.

Any chance of more comments on this before May?