Lt. Commander
# 21
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Realistically, a bubble would be easier to maintain and more structurally sound than a form fitting shield. It would require fewer emitters and would be less complex for the ship to maintain. (As the rule states, the more complex something is, the more there is that can go wrong with it.)

It could be said that they tried the form fitting shields back in the 2270s and then went back to bubble shields when they found that, despite the older technology used, they were superior to the form fitting shields.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
Exactly. Since this is a game, in this case it boils down to aesthetics, and it was decided I guess that the bubble shield just looks nicer/cooler.
It also has to do with easy of implementation. If they created skin tight shields, they would have to have a shield shape for every ship component in the game. And the you have complications of figuring which shield was hit,, somehow limit the shield hit effects to the outside surfaces and not bleed below an intersection of shield bubbles. I'm an amateur in regards to graphics programming, but trying to code that makes even my head hurt.

An ellipsoid is much easier to deal with. It's only one object. You only need 3 parameters to determine it's shape. Doing shields hits it super easy. So I can easily understand why they went this route.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Bubble shields=Allows whatever damage that bleed through to disperse better.
Hull tight shields= Not much room for the energy to disperse.

Something like that. Of course that is the realistic reason and that doesn't have much weight here. :p
Even so most all ships have armour as well would that also help protect from the bleedthrough? Thats how I see it. Skin tight shields = less power being used, hard to ht ship place most 24th advanced ships have armour as added protection. What I don't Understand is why didn't the devs do this from the beginning!?
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
The bigger question is how one 'facing' of the bubble can 'pop' and not have *all* the shields collapse. That right there points to the fact there really doesn't need to have any kind of specific shape. they could be square, octoganal, icosehedronal, etc.. Or they could 'form' to the hull as was also pointed out (which would actually make more sense for only one facing to 'fall').
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
It's interesting that Starfleet would dabble again with "skin tight" shields, especially after their use in the 23rd century, it would seem they decided to go a different route for the 24th:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...7/twok0571.jpg

The shields seen later on the Enterprise-A also seem to have been both "skin tight" and a "bubble", perhaps an intermediate step? They certainly still allowed weapons fire to hit extremely close to the hull either way:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...12/tuc0627.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...12/tuc0624.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...12/tuc0629.jpg
New research. Alternate Theories. Not to mention the fact that most of the SF brass around the time of the Sovy Movies weren't even alive in the 23rd Century.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-06-2012, 08:03 PM
dmfreddie your signature is highly oversized. Forum rules specify only 150x500 for sig size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfreddie
But if it was the hull tight shields would that mean there's a greater chance to miss hitting the shields altogether so then it conserves some shield power?
The treatment of shields varies from series to series and movie to movie. For example, in DS9 half the time the ships didn't even seem to have any shields at all.

Bubble shields got more air time overall than any other type of shields, so it's arguable that's what most people expect. They also look cooler than the others.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I for one always was a fan of the bubbles i guess i grew up with next gen
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
It also has to do with easy of implementation. If they created skin tight shields, they would have to have a shield shape for every ship component in the game. And the you have complications of figuring which shield was hit,, somehow limit the shield hit effects to the outside surfaces and not bleed below an intersection of shield bubbles. I'm an amateur in regards to graphics programming, but trying to code that makes even my head hurt.

An ellipsoid is much easier to deal with. It's only one object. You only need 3 parameters to determine it's shape. Doing shields hits it super easy. So I can easily understand why they went this route.
After reading most of this thread I really think that there is a less development intensive way to implement skin tight shields. While I have no inner knowledge of exactly how The Development team stores their character information I'm going to theory craft based on my experiences with object oriented programming and databases.

1. It is fairly safe to assume that your toon's ship type and associated parts are all stored serverside in an array of information for each part.

2. By pulling all that information from the server we could produce a second copy of your ship over your first and increase the x/y/z access scaling by a small amount you'd have a "ship within a ship". This second skin would be set to a transparent texture. This will be our "shields".

3. When the current system "Hits" your second skin, it would trigger a transparency and texture change for that part (your shield hit graphic) that would then be eventually reset to the default transparent look.

4. There would have to be some under the hood work to the way beams hit ships, but in the end it suggests that beams not hit an ellipse but are drawn from second skin to the attacking ship (if how FAW works is an effective indicator of how the system draws hits).

This is how I'd try and implement on the quick and dirty if this was a really requested feature and I didn't have a heck of a lot of time or development budget to "Get it done". Just to clarify for those that might not be programmers (or have any working knowledge of programming) is MUCH more complicated to flesh out than I've presented it. Getting it right will also require a lot of testing internally even after being written.

It would be interesting to change one set of shields to "skin tight" for player variety. Curious to see what a JamJamz would think of this concept.

Anyway just throwing it out there for everyone's consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon_Kent
I for one always was a fan of the bubbles i guess i grew up with next gen
Yeah, I like the bubble shields too. I wouldn't be opposed to different types of shields (resilient, covariant, etc) having different graphics... but not if it takes time away from, say, implementing a Tier 5 Akira.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't something like this add a lot of poly to the model? You essentially have to make the same ship around the first ship. While my computer would handle it and then some, some folks are still running on some old hardware.

Not to mention as JamJamz said, there are a ridiculous number of variants possible with the current set up, plus any future ships.