Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
04-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Ya that what I think. They only used the bubble shield due to save money, there nothing wrong with them, I wish they would explain on star trek which is better.

Maybe skin tight shields is better for fast moving ships while bubble is for slow moving ships? Just another thought here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Ya that what I think. They only used the bubble shield due to save money, there nothing wrong with them, I wish they would explain on star trek which is better.

Maybe skin tight shields is better for fast moving ships while bubble is for slow moving ships? Just another thought here.
personally i think this way:

Bubble- Better against torpedoes and other explosive devices since they explode father from the ship, it lessens the impact more and since torpedoes automatically lock onto targets, there's really no way to dodge them, mess with the targeting maybe, but once they are launched there's still a high chance you can get hit. but it would be weaker to repeated hits from energy weaponry

Hull tight shields: Better against energy weaponry since they don't need to project the bubble shields they can condense down and strengthen the shields more easily making it harder to penetrate the shields with beam weaponry. but being so close to the hull explosions against the shields could affect the ship more.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
personally i think this way:

Bubble- Better against torpedoes and other explosive devices since they explode father from the ship, it lessens the impact more and since torpedoes automatically lock onto targets, there's really no way to dodge them, mess with the targeting maybe, but once they are launched there's still a high chance you can get hit. but it would be weaker to repeated hits from energy weaponry

Hull tight shields: Better against energy weaponry since they don't need to project the bubble shields they can condense down and strengthen the shields more easily making it harder to penetrate the shields with beam weaponry. but being so close to the hull explosions against the shields could affect the ship more.
True, this does hold water. Just a thought here, with the worry with skin tight shields that since they are close to the hull so bleedthrough would harm the ship even more but if the ship has a strong hull armour wouldn't that help out as well??
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
04-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Reminds me of the ST film, Undiscovered country, when the enterprise is being hit by photon torpedoes

There were no visual effects for the shields (from what I can remember), but it did show considerable burning/scarring on the hull itself when the torpedoes hit

Only when they collapsed, did the torpedo penetrate the hull.

The hull tight shields in Nemesis kinda remind me of the hull polarization in the ST Enterprise series, so maybe it's a combination of that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
04-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPD View Post
Reminds me of the ST film, Undiscovered country, when the enterprise is being hit by photon torpedoes

There were no visual effects for the shields (from what I can remember), but it did show considerable burning/scarring on the hull itself when the torpedoes hit

Only when they collapsed, did the torpedo penetrate the hull.

The hull tight shields in Nemesis kinda remind me of the hull polarization in the ST Enterprise series, so maybe it's a combination of that.
Precisely what I was suggesting on Page 2.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...2&postcount=14
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
04-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJamz View Post
I would like to build nearly skin-tight shields for ships, but the tech required, and time required to build such things, which offer nothing but a variation in visual stimulation, isn't exactly worth it, at least not right now.

To do it right, we would need to build a shell version of every ship, and every ship combination of parts. I'm not exactly sure how many it is, but I'm very confident it's up in the thousands, if not tens of thousands. It partly has to do with how the fx system works, and how ships are built -- it cannot be done with a simple procedural system, which would be ideal.

Skin tight shields could be done on a one-off ship, but even so, one-off ships tend to be more complicated than ships with multiple variants for parts, like the Oddessy, with it's escort, and saucer separation, that suddenly requires not one, but 5 skin-tight shields, assuming we want to keep skin tight shields on a detached escort and saucer. Building the geometry takes time, especially if the plan is to have it look nice.

Another problem, is allowing the player to differentiate between having their shields struck, and their hull. With skin tight shields, it would more-or-less, be a flash of light right by the hull, maybe with some shield effects peaking through, rippling across the slightly pushed away gemoetry surrounding the affected part.

With a large bubble around the ship, it's still akin to older Star Trek, and visually, easier to tell when shields are down, without being forced to baby-sit a UI the whole time.


There are other ways to do the effect, but all of which require new tech, most of it graphical based. I can confidently say there are no plans, as of now, for creating new shield effects for existing ships, but that could change, provided we acquire the required tech to make it happen -- keep in mind that we're always creating new tech that allows us to do more and more. Usually the art time will find some way to adapt a new piece of tech into something cool like this -- like missing shots in space actually missing ships.

In essence, I wouldn't pin all your hopes on this happening, but it certainly isn't out of the picture. I was just talking with our FX guy last week about doing something similar. We're on the same page, time will tell if it is a reasonable task.
You COULD make skintight shields a feature on the Sovvie refit from Nemesis (which does have noticeable differences) and have its special ability be something that makes shields and hull indistinguishable for its purposes.

Maybe effectively acting as a ship without shields but with passive energy resistance, effectively a super-hull tanker, the opposite of transphasics.

We are talking something that would have to be coordinated closely between art and systems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Didn't nemesis come out before Enterprise? Hull polarization works different to shield but yes it does look like on the show that the ship has skin tight shields, I actually thought that is what it was till they mentioned polarization.

Leviathan99 alot of players including myself have mentioned this idea for the sovy refit and yes it would be perfect for that ship lets hope it happens.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 AM.