Lt. Commander
# 1 Can't get into launcher
04-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Am I the only one who cant get into the game launcher? I'm receiving a "page cannot be loaded" error message. I can get into the account management on the website however. Any idea what the reason might be? Everything worked alright yesterday (before the update).
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-06-2012, 07:48 AM
the usual cause of page not found is IE is set to work off line. While the launcher does not direclty use IE it does use MSHTML and certain setting done by IE will affect how the launcher operates.

you can also check your antivirus and firewall still have the game as an exception. sometime patch programs are reset as new program requiring you to reauthorize them to allow net access.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm having the same issue, and its not connectivity or firewall problems. Just started this morning. Mine parses as scripting errors in the launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2012, 08:00 PM
besure you have javascript enabled in the IE browser or you may have the secturity settings of IE set too high.
Lt. Commander
# 5 None of that.
04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
It is none of that. It is timing out. It has to be something server side Because the page will partially load, with elements missing, or a script missing. Or sometimes it will completely load but be unable to authenticate.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been having the same issue a few days now. I've completely deactivated windows firewall, I have the appropriate ports triggered in my router (Cisco E2500 router). Sometimes the launcher wont even start, I get the little app box that says it's trying to update the launcher, tried connecting 1 times, etc. Other times the launcher will try to load, but I get a white box, with the page can not be displayed error, sometimes the launcher starts, but when I try to connect it says "Unable to authenticate". Other times it will connect, and when I click engage, I get to the character selection screen, but no characters are visible, and it has the "connecting to login server" message for about 6 minutes+ then finally times out. Other times, I connect all the way just fine, no issues at all.

This tells me, considering that at times it actually allows it to connect, this is either an issue with cryptic vs. U.S. ISP's, or or just a "cryptic" issue, etc.

What ever it is, I am 100% positive it is NOT an issue on my end, and I'm regretting all the real $$ I've spent on C Points to expand my game.

On a positive note, this has solved my "internal debate" on whether I should purchase a gold subscription or not. Based on Cryptic's unwillingness to address this issue, or make any statements regarding their concern, or lack there of toward this issue, my choice on a gold subscription is Most Definately Not.

As I said, I'm regretting spending money on the points I've already purchased.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Having same problem as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Same Problem
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I have been having EXACTLY the same problem as gonzo3667 described for about a week now. It's the same thing on BOTH my desktops and my laptop. I called my internet provider and they said that it is not on their end. It's getting really aggravating because I cannot get into the game 95% of the time, and when I am able to, it kicks me out after anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour or two. The guy that I talked to from my internet provider did say that he heard something about this before with world of ********. He said that I have to go into my router, and change some numbers in the "port forwarding" and "DMZ Host" settings, but I have to find out what numbers to change from the people who run the game (cryptic or perfect world in this case). But honestly, I dont even have any idea where to begin to look for the numbers that I have to change. I dont understand it because a week ago everything was working fine, then all of a sudden my launcher started not being able to connect to the internet, then when it does connect to the launcher, it keeps saying "connecting to login server" for about 5 minutes then times out. I'm really getting irritated with this. If there is ANYONE that knows how to fix this, PLEASE let me know.

Oh and I know it's nothing to do with IE because my default browser is Chrome and I checked all the settings and everything is fine with it. I play other games and they all work fine, I'm only having problems with STO. My hubby has the same problem on his computer with STO as well, and also on my laptop.

PLEASE HELP!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Having the same trouble here as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwicks89 View Post
I have been having EXACTLY the same problem as gonzo3667 described for about a week now. It's the same thing on BOTH my desktops and my laptop. I called my internet provider and they said that it is not on their end. It's getting really aggravating because I cannot get into the game 95% of the time, and when I am able to, it kicks me out after anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour or two. The guy that I talked to from my internet provider did say that he heard something about this before with world of ********. He said that I have to go into my router, and change some numbers in the "port forwarding" and "DMZ Host" settings, but I have to find out what numbers to change from the people who run the game (cryptic or perfect world in this case). But honestly, I dont even have any idea where to begin to look for the numbers that I have to change. I dont understand it because a week ago everything was working fine, then all of a sudden my launcher started not being able to connect to the internet, then when it does connect to the launcher, it keeps saying "connecting to login server" for about 5 minutes then times out. I'm really getting irritated with this. If there is ANYONE that knows how to fix this, PLEASE let me know.

Oh and I know it's nothing to do with IE because my default browser is Chrome and I checked all the settings and everything is fine with it. I play other games and they all work fine, I'm only having problems with STO. My hubby has the same problem on his computer with STO as well, and also on my laptop.

PLEASE HELP!!
What you ISP is talking about is "Port Forwarding" or "Port triggering".

The numbers you need are the port numbers that STO uses. The game uses the following ports:

Port 80
Port 443
Ports 7000 through 7500 (7000-7500)

What you need to do is go into the configuration page of your router. You'll want to go into the advanced settings and manually trigger those ports. You can do this through port forwarding (in which case, you'll need to know the IP address of your computer). Or through Port Triggering (which opens those ports on your entire home network, and not just on your individual system).

For port forwarding, you'll set them up in ranges. Set the application name to Trek1 (you can choose your own name for each of these ranges) and then set the forwarded range of 80 to 80 (80 - 80), then specify the IP address of your individual system on your network.

Then set up a second range, Trek2, and set the port range as 443 to 443 (443 - 443), and then input your IP address again.

Then set up the third range, Trek3, and set the range as 7000 to 7500 (7000 - 7500), then input your IP address again.

Make sure to check each box on each range line to Enable each port range.

This will open up the ports that Star Trek Online uses. And it will only trigger those ports to be opened for the computer you play the game on (the IP address you set on all 3 ranges).

If your router has a port range triggering, you'll basically do the same as above, except you wont need to specify an IP address indicating your specific computer. This will just open up those ports to your entire home network, so that any computer or device sharing that router will have those ports open and can play the game if it's installed on it.

But, you can take my word for it, doing this will not solve your problem.

I have deactivated all windows security. running without windows firewall, and with all my virus protection disabled. I've triggered all those ports in my router, and the problem is STILL continuing.

I have found a "work around" for this problem, but it's a major pain in the a$$, and I'll delete the damn game before I do this every time.

It seems now that Cryptic Software is a "Use Once" kind of deal.

If you install the game, and run it, you'll get in. If you're experiencing this problem, you'll likely get disconnected from the server in 10 to 20 minutes of playing. Once you do, the game is toast. The work around goes like this:

1. Uninstall the game

2. Manually delete the game folder that is left behind by the uninstall.

3. Reboot your computer, and while the system is rebooting, power cycle your router.

4. When system is back up, and router is reconnected, install the game again.

5. Sit through the patch out, Make a sandwhich, read a few pages of a book, feed your cat (you've probably been neglecting him for the past few weeks anyway), Call your mother (she misses you), take a shower (sort of like upgrading your armor to a less smelly class), etc. Basically, kill time till the game is patched out again.

6. Log in to the game, and enjoy it for another 10 to 20 minutes.

When it crashes, return to step 1 and repeat the process.

That's the only reliable "work around" that I have been able to discover. I advise large bottle of liquer, lots of beer, and some of mother nature's finest. Because it's gonna get annoying as hell.