Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
The quality bonus (+ X%) DOffs are suppose to add to rewards does not seem to be consistently applied. And I should be clear, I'm talking here about regular successes, not the crit inconsistencies that some previous posts have brought up.

I tracked a number of DOff assignments about a week ago to test what my scribbles on scrap paper was telling me - the bonus reported for my doff qualities rarely translated to the full bonus of CXP (and often seemed about half). The bonus did seem to effect the captain & BO xp correctly.

I wrote a quick script to parse the file I used to track my missions, and report a basic output. The skill pt xp was pretty much dead on, within a small error probably due to the system having to round to whole values. The CXP per mission varied wildly, from roughly half of the bonus to close to full bonus. Around half the expected bonus was common.

Full bonus seemed to often occur if a mission had 2 different CXP rewards, but usually only the 1st CXP got the full bonus and occasionally the second did.

I've included the output of my script as an attached file (plain text, hopefully this works). The format is simple, every 4 lines is a mission. If a mission had 2 CXP rewards, there's 4 entries in the lines (CXP1 CXP2)

mission name
CXP Cap xp BO xp +x% (standard rewards and the sum of my doff bonuses)
CXP Cap xp BO xp (actual result)
% actual bonus for each type of xp (1.000 = no bonus, 1.100 = 10% bonus)

I produced a graph of expected bonuses vs actual bonuses, which shows the general trend (ie some data points along a line of slope 1, most falling below 1, many about 0.5).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
So, no one else is seeing this? Or have I just explained it in too contorted a fashion?

For example, just say a doff mission gave 100 cxp, captain xp and BO xp. You use 2 green and one blue doff on the assignment, giving 5 + 5 + 10 = 20% quality bonus. In theory, on a regular success, this suggests you should get 120 cxp, 120 captain xp, 120 BO xp.

What my recording of some 60 regular success missions shows, you do get the 120 captain and BO xp. However, CXP ranges a lot, in this example it might only be 109 CXP (only 9% quality bonus), or 114 (14%)...and occasionally the full 120 CXP, but usually that only happens if you're getting 2 types of CXP out of one mission, and the full bonus only seems to apply to the first of the two CXPs.

Basically, the % quality bonus seems to be applied correctly to the captain and BO xp, but not the CXP, where it can be as low as about half of what it should be - but there seems no consistent pattern.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joiry View Post
So, no one else is seeing this? Or have I just explained it in too contorted a fashion?

For example, just say a doff mission gave 100 cxp, captain xp and BO xp. You use 2 green and one blue doff on the assignment, giving 5 + 5 + 10 = 20% quality bonus. In theory, on a regular success, this suggests you should get 120 cxp, 120 captain xp, 120 BO xp.

What my recording of some 60 regular success missions shows, you do get the 120 captain and BO xp. However, CXP ranges a lot, in this example it might only be 109 CXP (only 9% quality bonus), or 114 (14%)...and occasionally the full 120 CXP, but usually that only happens if you're getting 2 types of CXP out of one mission, and the full bonus only seems to apply to the first of the two CXPs.

Basically, the % quality bonus seems to be applied correctly to the captain and BO xp, but not the CXP, where it can be as low as about half of what it should be - but there seems no consistent pattern.
Do you have the 5% skill bonus from being a veteran? I'm asking because this might explain why some of them are being added and others are not.

There are a few things that occur to me in addition to that, but I will list all of them:

1.) Veteran award is changing the skill payoff, but is not affecting (nor should it) the CXP.
2.) Only the first duty officer (or just one) in some missions is counting toward some of the bonuses you're seeing.
3.) The bonus from the veteran award are additive instead of multiplicative (.05 + 1.2 (from your duty officers) = 25% bonus on skill points {not CXP})
4.) The bonus from the veteran award are multiplicative instead of additive (1.05 * 1.2 = (from your duty officers) = 26% bonus on skill points {not CXP})
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I am quite interested in the analysis that you did, but tab-delimited text is a very poor way to make your data available. I haven't had the inclination to import it into a spreadsheet program and take a look yet because i'll have to screw with format processing.

Also, you say you graphed it, but as the upload is a text file the graph is obviously not present.

Maybe upload the graphs to an image sharing site and post the graphs so we can all discuss it rather than having to recreate the analysis on our own?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I have no veteran rewards. While I bought the game when it first came out, I only played the first month, then subbed again in feb, unsubbed now, but still under 100 days.

One of those did occur to me, which is that perhaps only 1 doff bonus is being applied - I sorta wanted to kick myself for only recording the total quality bonus instead of each officer used. Maybe I'll do a few more - there's some assignments now I see with 3 CXP rewards, I'm interested in how it will vary amongst them given what I've found about assignments with 2 CXP rewards.

I thought tab delimited was the most generic...maybe I'll put the info in a public google spreadsheet tonight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joiry View Post
I have no veteran rewards. While I bought the game when it first came out, I only played the first month, then subbed again in feb, unsubbed now, but still under 100 days.

One of those did occur to me, which is that perhaps only 1 doff bonus is being applied - I sorta wanted to kick myself for only recording the total quality bonus instead of each officer used. Maybe I'll do a few more - there's some assignments now I see with 3 CXP rewards, I'm interested in how it will vary amongst them given what I've found about assignments with 2 CXP rewards.

I thought tab delimited was the most generic...maybe I'll put the info in a public google spreadsheet tonight.
Its pretty generic, but its not nearly as 'smoking gun' as just posting your graph.

Making people work to see your results tends to result in less interest. (I'll probably get around to screwing with it this weekend).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Making people work to see your results tends to result in less interest.
I generally agree with this. From a Dev/QA/IT perspective, folks who work on issues want all the details of a problem, steps to reproduce the problem, and a summary of what the problem is. You've given some of that. If you can give all of it, that would help everyone, from the average player, to the developer, to the person in QA, reproduce (or fail to reproduce) the observed behavior and confirm/deny your findings.

It would also lead to a fix, if something is broken that is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Its pretty generic, but its not nearly as 'smoking gun' as just posting your graph.

Making people work to see your results tends to result in less interest. (I'll probably get around to screwing with it this weekend).
The graph is purely illustrative, it doesn't show the real problem. I think I've pretty clearly stated the problem. CXP gets an inconsistent bonus. If Cap & BO xp get the full say +X% quality bonus, CXP tends to get anywhere from X/2% to just under X%. This is shown repeatedly in the 4 line of the out put, as something like

1.09 1.20 1.20

Showing CXP is only getting a 9% bonus if the other two are getting the full 20% (as an example). It also doesn't require that much analysis. Write down a few rewards/results and your total quality and use the desktop calculator to see (or whatever floats your boat). Honestly, I don't even see how this got past QC - its actually the rare case you get the full % bonus for CXP.

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend, but I'll try to post a more amenable format sunday night.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
So, we think we finally know what is happening internally to the system to be resulting in the skewed numbers, but there remains some investigation to be done to confirm this and see what can be done without breaking various other things.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.