Lt. Commander
# 1 John Carter
03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Went to John Carter today and it was an excellent romp.

It stays faithful to the source material while not being exact to the letter. There are changes to the story, but most of these were done to provide emotional context without massive exposition and to provided needed compression to fit within a 2 hour feature.

If you like swashbuckling and carnage, adventure and thrills on a grand scale this film is for you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I want to share what an impressive film this is as well. I encourage people to see this one on the big screen. 2D or 3D. Either one will do. I really felt that Mars (Barsoon) and its alien cultures were seamless. It has a lot going for it as a standalone film. Though I'm hoping for a strong enough showing to support at least one more film in the setting.

As I watched this story, I considered that much of today's sci-fi owes a lot to Burrough's John Carter series of books. Both George Lucas and James Cameron, for example, must have read this series as young readers. Ironically, without both their film making careers this movie might not have translated as smoothly as it does.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2012, 07:56 AM
So it's faithful to the comic huh?

Not sure though, seemed Disney made it too younger age though..
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Not the comic, the Novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

A Princess of Mars

In the novel, there was far more exposition about John Carter's state of mind, about why emotionally he was ready to leave Earth and make Mars his home, and about the cultures of Barsoom. They streamlined the story, and made changes that conveyed the emotional state in a more concise manner. There were things that were cut, but if they were added I am hard pressed to name what could else could be cut to allow additional material to be added.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I wish they had more John Carter merchandise. Where's the John Carter action figures, models of the Martian airships, the John Carter video game, and the Whoola plush toy?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd love to see this film. However, after reading this article a while ago I was hoping that one day a film would be made.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/johncarter.html (article has isn't kid-friendly)

Now I gotta read those books first though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicRaven View Post
I'd love to see this film. However, after reading this article a while ago I was hoping that one day a film would be made.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/johncarter.html (article has isn't kid-friendly)

Now I gotta read those books first though.
Nice article!

And since you mentioned you were interestedCLICK HERE for FREE DOWNLOAD "A Princess of Mars" the first John Carter novel.

I do like Project Gutenberg

I recommend watching the film first and then reading the book to fill in the gaps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Plan on seeing it either this week or next. I grew up reading about and drawing the denizens of Barsoom/Mars, so I've been highly anticipating the release of this film. I'm actually rather shocked and saddened to see so many people who are 1.completely unaware of this classic sci-fi, and 2. completely unaware of the fact that the creator, Edgar Rice Burroughs, is the same guy who made the very well-known, white man of the jungle...uh, y'know, umm,.....TARZAN?! Hell, some radio hosts were talking about this on Friday and didn't even know who ERB was - WTF, really?

Sad how people have let history and knowledge slip away to this extent.

Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Plan on seeing it either this week or next. I grew up reading about and drawing the denizens of Barsoom/Mars, so I've been highly anticipating the release of this film. I'm actually rather shocked and saddened to see so many people who are 1.completely unaware of this classic sci-fi, and 2. completely unaware of the fact that the creator, Edgar Rice Burroughs, is the same guy who made the very well-known, white man of the jungle...uh, y'know, umm,.....TARZAN?! Hell, some radio hosts were talking about this on Friday and didn't even know who ERB was - WTF, really?

Sad how people have let history and knowledge slip away to this extent.

So True.

I have had to explain that to people all week. I also point out that John Carter was actually Edgar Rice Burroughs first success.

Having read some Tarzan and some John Carter, and having seen many incarnations of Tarzan in film and on TV, I found "John Carter" to be far more faithful to the source material than anything that has been done with Tarzan. That is not to say that it follows it to the letter, they cut a lot of material out, and made some adjustments so all the parts still fit, and still have about the same emotional impact.

After having read "A Princess of Mars" just this week, and seeing exactly what was cut and changed, I think the changes made worked to create a wonderful two-hour epic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
So True.

I have had to explain that to people all week. I also point out that John Carter was actually Edgar Rice Burroughs first success.

Having read some Tarzan and some John Carter, and having seen many incarnations of Tarzan in film and on TV, I found "John Carter" to be far more faithful to the source material than anything that has been done with Tarzan. That is not to say that it follows it to the letter, they cut a lot of material out, and made some adjustments so all the parts still fit, and still have about the same emotional impact.

After having read "A Princess of Mars" just this week, and seeing exactly what was cut and changed, I think the changes made worked to create a wonderful two-hour epic.
So thrilled to hear this and SO looking forward to seeing it! I have been waiting most of my life for this movie! I first read EBR's Barsoom novels as a kid back in the '60's. Actually Tarzan was the least of his creations. There's also Carson of Venus and the world of Pellucidar... the world at the center of the Earth. In one of his novels, in fact, Tarzan journey's to Pellucidar. But John Carter was always my hero. And his books introduced me to another concept that was rather novel in those days (novel... get it? heheheh) and that was the strong warrior woman who was the equal of any man and a man/woman relationship based on friendship and mutual trust and respect and equality. It changed my whole outlook! From that day on no lesser woman would do heheheheh (and I found her and we've been together for over 25 years!)