Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congr...-for-2012.html

EA managed to beat Bank of America in a consumer poll of unpopular companies.

Here's the statement on it:

Quote:
To those who might sneer at something as "non-essential" as a video game company winning the Worst Company In America vote: It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death.

For years, while movies and music became more affordable and publishers piled on bonus content or multiple modes of delivery as added value to entice customers to buy, video games have continued to be priced like premium goods.

There have even been numerous accusations that EA and its ilk deliberately hold back game content with the sole intent of charging a fee for it at a later date. It's one thing to support a game with new content that is worth the price. It's another to put out an inferior and occasionally broken product with the mindset of "ah, we'll fix it later and make some money for doing so."

New, independent game companies do pop up all the time, but the cost of entering the market has historically been too expensive, making these indie innovators prime targets for acquisition by mega-publishers like EA. Our hope is that the growth of app-based gaming and downloadable games will continue to make it easier for developers to get their products out without the backing of companies that don't care a lick about the people who fork over their cash.
I've been saying forever that gaming companies need to worrymore about PR and less about acturaial studies of how to extract cash from people. I'm NOT AGAINST the latter but I think you're doing it wrong if you don't factor in perception of quality and customer satisfaction into every facet of what you do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Here is another article. They sort of have a redeeming point at the end, at least.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Here is another article. They sort of have a redeeming point at the end, at least.
I was just linking the sponsoring organization.

It IS push polling but it does suggest for me that a company which has operated in a perfectly legal way managed to generate more outrage than a company under serious investigations and in the midst of serious scandals.

I think it says something about how well some of the mega-corps are at designing service models than gaming companies are.

I think, personally, that gaming companies need their own version of Frank Luntz, their own "Service Producers" who go beyond datamining and analysis to artistically create models of service, security, and satisfaction.

Apple gets this. There is something about every aspect of what they do that generates tranquility and satisfaction in spite of higher prices for the same or lower quality hardware with less customization.

Blizzard's success, IMHO, comes down to them getting this. They're masters at packaging in ways that Cryptic or EA or even Sony are not.

Seriously, as a test, try deleting a max level character in each of these companies games, then call support for a restoration. Pay attention to how they make you feel, from the hold music to the person you speak with, to whether you even get to speak to a person. The difference in the experience is stark.

Likewise if you look at the cash shops from each of their games. If you look at the business models, most of the MMO studios are the same. If you look at presentation, they're radically, radically different.

Sony restricts theirs to in-game. Blizzard keeps theirs segregated on a separate site. The competing philosophies for presentation could not be more different.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
not surprised. it's been steadily downhill for years. mmo industry as well as standard gaming industry just don't get it. you over price a product, you don't listen to your consumers...or worse, treat them like drooling idiots (which in some cases may be true) you will lose in the long run. and further, they do not understand, any of the game companies that the internet is the largest opinion poll yet known.

chat rooms, in game chats in mmo's, forums, irc (yes it's still around) people discuss games, the good, the bad, the ugly. all the advertising in the world can't help you if word of mouth trashes you. gaming, more than anything else is customer driven. with the choices available especially in the mmo industry...devs should be asking themselves what makes their game worth someones time to play. much less pay for anything in it.

fanboys/girls a a big part of the problem....they'll support a company, be vocal on forums towards them, approve of everything...yet when there is something they don't like...they just leave rather than admit their perfect company failed them. yet companies listen more to them than critics...because no one wants to hear 'yer doin' it wrong'.

cryptic gets some leeway...because as far as my understanding of the initial development of sto, they took over halfway. so they're stuck with what was started. some...not much. changing things one way when it could have been done another, was suggested and endorsed by players, yet they refused to listen...gives them a small black mark.

not a fanboy or girl...but i do just quit when enough things show a company isn't worth the money invested if they're not going to do anything but release buggy updates, not listen to the player base...and ffs STOP WITH THE CINEMATICs. or at least make it so they can be canceled. yeah, bloody great you can throw together some in game cutscenes...you only have to watch them ONCE. players have to watch them every time they run the mission. think about that. would you want to be forced to sit through something you've seen 100 times?

all games are consumer driven...and gamers are more fickle than most...there's always new ones coming out...never ever think you have it made, that you're invincible...even with such a well known name as star trek. quite frankly the game does not live up to it's expectations in no way shape or form. it's nice models zooming around in atmosphere going pew pew. it isn't space. it's not even atmosphere really...some kind of water i suspect...since going vertical is forbidden. maybe everything in the ship falls down or something >.>

didn't mean for all that...so.../rant
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I was just linking the sponsoring organization.

It IS push polling but it does suggest for me that a company which has operated in a perfectly legal way managed to generate more outrage than a company under serious investigations and in the midst of serious scandals.

I think it says something about how well some of the mega-corps are at designing service models than gaming companies are.
To me it says that either consumers are too jaded about more important companies to care, or more likely are simply in denial. Whether your new game is working or not affects you immediately and directly. Whether the entire economy is crashing or not affects you only indirectly, and those affected most are the least able to respond to a poll like that. They are too busy trying to survive or failing to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I say it's time we show the MMO devs we won't take it anymore. Everyone, get out your old copies of Quake and Team Fortress (Classic) and hop on Gamespy for some MegaTF and CustomTF maps!

We did that stuff for over a decade, for free, able to modify it any way we wanted, with actual effective anti-cheating technology, and it was a multi-player game where skill was the ONLY thing that mattered because everyone had the same equipment (which they didn't have to pay extra for, or grind a special currency to get). Doesn't anyone else remember those days? How games were actually fun! Sure, there was some work involved, and you had to practice, but it was FUN to do that work and FUN to practice.

Game companies need to capture that essence again. Minecraft, made by one of the smallest gaming companies possible, is probably the biggest game hit of the last year. The next game from them looks to be huge.

Meanwhile... we have the glut of F2P MMO's that are really just failed P2P MMO's that have turned into a Pay2Win game. We have GW2, TSW, MechWarrior, etc... and while the fan boys will be allll over them and hype them up, the rest of us will realistically see them for what they are: Just another way to part people from their money with minimal investment and maximum margins.

There's very little fun to be had in today's games, especially in the MMO markets. You'll survive off the people who simply can't get validation any way other than PvP and paying for advantages... but it won't last forever.

Fun... remember that... fun.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Someone posted the voting on Bioware Social and said he couldn't believe how EA was beating some companies in the earlier rounds. And he had his fanboi hat on.

However with the ME3 endings fiasco, I think he actually helped EA win. Bad place for him to post that trying to drum up support at that time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I dont think EA have ever done anything to upset me, or quite frankly even mildly annoy me.

there is the ME3 ending thing but im waiting to see how that plays out as i still think they have done something clever there but ill wait and pass judgement later on that and i think that was mostly bioware over EA.

in saying that, i dont think ive ever heard anyone say anything good about them either. i take complaints on the internet with a pinch of salt though. most tend to be less than valid.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
The things that annoy me about EA:
1) DRM. It's a pain that only punishes the customers, not the pirates. The pirates get around it in less than a day, usually. What's the point? And yes, I have paid more for titles to get a DRM-free version from GOG when possible.
2) DLC. I have zero interest in getting ME3 because I never felt like I finished ME2. I bought a game to get a story and felt like I would be happier never having the original game in the first place. Nobody likes a tease. DLC by other companies typically costs less and *adds* to the game rather than filling in a gaping plot-hole.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
This proves that the crusade to push the phrase "gamer entitlement" can actually backfire.