Lt. Commander
Admirals vs. Captains - A compromise

I see repeated posts about how we shouldn't be Admirals, we should be Captains, etc. etc. Myself, I tend to either ignore my "rank" and say I'm a captain (I even keep the captain pips on my toons), or I say I'm some sort of special kind of admiral that commands ships directly - sort of a "Captain +1" grade. I kind of agree, however.

But, I think that it's possible for a compromise between both sides. As such, I would like to propose two new ranks - Commodore and Fleet Captain.

We've seen (I think) both of these in canon but both times they were ill-defined. However, what they ARE is obviously higher than captain, yet lower than Admiral. A flag rank of sorts, but not so much a flag rank that they're probably flying a desk at a starbase, bravely battling budget reports and rescuing obscure projects from destruction by the finance department.

I would say that Commodore would come right after Captain, be four solid pips, and one hollow pip. It would technically be a flag rank but more along the lines of the sort of flag that takes command in multi-ship operations, e.g. senior to the seniormost captain in a multi-ship action.

Fleet captain would be five solid pips, and closer to Admirality, but even then, still a captain. Still has their own ship and still not based out of a Starbase. Plus, frankly, I think that there's a certain level of appeal in being a Fleet Captain over an Admiral. The title seems a bit dashing to me, for lack of a better term.

I don't know if anyone else likes this or not, but I've floated it for a bit now and it seems like a decent compromise between Cryptic's plans and the desires of the forum community. Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999

I see repeated posts about how we shouldn't be Admirals, we should be Captains, etc. etc. Myself, I tend to either ignore my "rank" and say I'm a captain (I even keep the captain pips on my toons), or I say I'm some sort of special kind of admiral that commands ships directly - sort of a "Captain +1" grade. I kind of agree, however.

But, I think that it's possible for a compromise between both sides. As such, I would like to propose two new ranks - Commodore and Fleet Captain.

We've seen (I think) both of these in canon but both times they were ill-defined. However, what they ARE is obviously higher than captain, yet lower than Admiral. A flag rank of sorts, but not so much a flag rank that they're probably flying a desk at a starbase, bravely battling budget reports and rescuing obscure projects from destruction by the finance department.

I would say that Commodore would come right after Captain, be four solid pips, and one hollow pip. It would technically be a flag rank but more along the lines of the sort of flag that takes command in multi-ship operations, e.g. senior to the seniormost captain in a multi-ship action.

Fleet captain would be five solid pips, and closer to Admirality, but even then, still a captain. Still has their own ship and still not based out of a Starbase. Plus, frankly, I think that there's a certain level of appeal in being a Fleet Captain over an Admiral. The title seems a bit dashing to me, for lack of a better term.

I don't know if anyone else likes this or not, but I've floated it for a bit now and it seems like a decent compromise between Cryptic's plans and the desires of the forum community. Thoughts?
Commodore was replace by RALH however i think RELH should be removed and Commodore put back in its place, and fleet captain is a position to distinguish which capain if the highest ranks present are only captains of who has command of the fleet, it is not a rank. Also in any event, Commodore > Fleet Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Ranks after Captain should be "Service Grades" or something. The longer your Captain career has been, the better ships you're assigned to command.

So at Rear Admiral, Lower Half, you're actually just a Captain SG2, then SG3 and SG4, etc. You can even get little service pins to put on your sleeves, like how the U.S. Military and Federal Agent service gives you a star for every 5 years of service.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimus_Prime View Post
Ranks after Captain should be "Service Grades" or something. The longer your Captain career has been, the better ships you're assigned to command.

So at Rear Admiral, Lower Half, you're actually just a Captain SG2, then SG3 and SG4, etc. You can even get little service pins to put on your sleeves, like how the U.S. Military and Federal Agent service gives you a star for every 5 years of service.
would be decent, but i think the only compromise thats going to happen and the only thing that the devs have said they will do is add an option for every NPC to call you by a certain rank and then put your rank back to say captain if thats what you want,
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Or we could....do what Dan was planning to hopefully do:

Have a system created that has NPC's designate you by certain titles instead of actual rank. Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999

<snip>

Thoughts?
The problem is the same as Admiral here. You never heard Picard (or Janeway, or Sisko, or Pike, or...) addressed as Commadore or Fleet Captain. Sure those ranks were available and used on screen BUT not by the HEROES of the stories - the CAPTAINS.

To use what I said in another thread - - I'd love to see the iconic Star Trek 'hero's' rank of Captain become the cap...rank-wise at least (with ongoing levels in Captain to continue to aquire skills/ships). Fleet (guild) leaders should be the Admirals, then the rank of Admiral would actually mean something.

But you can't take stuff away from folks - they get all upset at things like that.

How about a compromise? All existing Admirals keep their rank, but have the option of doing a 'Kirk' and returning to Captain if they so wish. All future new characters would be given Captain as a rank (not skill) cap, getting Admiral though fleet leadership.

This way we would never have a true skill cap. We could be Captain level 100 or 1000 or whatever. Those who wanted to be Admirals could still do so, but the 'default' rank cap would be the tried and true, famous Star Trek rank of CAPTAIN.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Name of the rank is an identifier, one's just as good as another. We need more than 50 levels, call it however you want...
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I've always felt if we get another level cap expansion it should go:

1-10 Ensign
11-20 Lieutenant Junior Grade
21-30 Lieutenant
31-40 Lieutenant Commander
41-50 Commander
51+ Captain

No Commodores, Fleet Captains, Rear Admirals or any of those other crappy upper ranks. We're singular persons in charge of singular vessels, we should be Captains.

Admiralty and other ranks should be reserved for a few specific NPCs who give us missions. You know, like it was in the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
You have command over a ship, you're The Captain, whatever your actual rank in the hierarchy of the organisation might be - at least as long as you're adressed about anything regarding the ship, its crew and mission.

At least that's how it is handled most of the time in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
Name of the rank is an identifier, one's just as good as another. We need more than 50 levels, call it however you want...
Nob
Boss
Warboss
Warlord
Waaaghboss